Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

In the words of Ringo Starr, "Oh My My"... so the early Vega tooling still exists? Wonder if they have enough to squeeze out a stock version, one you could stuff a 350 in to cruise Van Nuys Boulevard?

The Vega bodies shown are more than likely all-new tooling,  as opposed to a backdating of the existing body.  The chassis and interior will probably be carried over from the Twister kit though.  Both of the people wanting a stock Vega can probably adapt AMT Monza underbody bits, or find an unbuilt annual kit or busted promo to rob other parts from.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

The Vega bodies shown are more than likely all-new tooling,  as opposed to a backdating of the existing body.  The chassis and interior will probably be carried over from the Twister kit though.  Both of the people wanting a stock Vega can probably adapt AMT Monza underbody bits, or find an unbuilt annual kit or busted promo to rob other parts from.

I'm going to concur, those bodies have that weird "wood" texture you get when you do a 3D rapid prototype.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

AMT 1156 - 1976 Vega Funny Car 

My guess is Round2 is reissuing this oldie:

AMT1976VegaFC.jpg.40e855e8681ba1d95c6a0bb74d011753.jpg

I just picked up a very rebuildable builtup of one of these a few months ago. The short length is absolutely absurd for a '70s funny car, BUT there is something very appealing about it anyway. I'm thinking of trying to swap in an injected or even carbureted small-block and call it an Altered or even a bracket racer. 

I might even see what kind of second body might fit on it, like a Fiat or something of that sort. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just picked up a very rebuildable builtup of one of these a few months ago. The short length is absolutely absurd for a '70s funny car

Yes, it was much closer to an Altered in wheelbase, but I doubt AMT was concerned with NHRA/AHRA rules when creating this kit. They simply used the same chassis under both Vega Panel and AMC Gremlin bodies, added flashy decals, and called it good.

8 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

I'm curious what the rear-end of that Vega wagon body looks like and also what the funny car chassis looks like.

You can view the instruction sheets for the multiple AMT Vega Funny Car kits of this series here:

http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/board/73/amt?q=vega+funny

Hey now!!!

There are three of us that want a stock Vega!!! 

If they can give me a stock Vega, I will weep. For so, so many reasons, I will weep. Truly, despite all the Pintos, Pacers and Gremlins, EXPs and Cavaliers I have, the lack of Vega is a travesty. To make up for it, I had to resort to buying three Monzas (and had a fourth at home)!!!

C'mon everyone: Chant it with me!

We Want Stock! We Want Stock!

No Stock, No Peace!

What do we want? Stock! When do we  want it? As soon as possible, thanks! (Well, I AM Canadian...)

8)

Those subcompact funny cars are more akin to show rods than actual drag cars.  The first versions all had spoked dragster front wheels, and I wouldn't even try fitting a scale driver figure inside the roll cage.  Still, they're cool in their own way.

5 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Snake; would sure like to see a simple pic or two of that built-up you have; I'm curious what the rear-end of that Vega wagon body looks like and also what the funny car chassis looks like.

Here ya go. I think the assend of the thing might be shorter than stock. :unsure:

75VegaFunny04.jpg.302406bfd898e68612556abe48e98598.jpg

3 hours ago, Faust said:

If they can give me a stock Vega, I will weep. For so, so many reasons, I will weep. Truly, despite all the Pintos, Pacers and Gremlins, EXPs and Cavaliers I have, the lack of Vega is a travesty. To make up for it, I had to resort to buying three Monzas (and had a fourth at home)!!!

Calm down Adam!  I'll let you hug my Cavalier!   :P

A funny thing, back when I build my Cavalier,  two different guys saw me at shows and gave me one!  It was like  "I've had this in my stash forever and didn't know what to do with it!"   I'm thinking along the lines of they weren't gonna build it,  couldn't imagine anyone buying it from them, didn't want to just toss it in the trash and then there was me!   Kinda like handing off toxic waste!

16 hours ago, Faust said:

Hey now!!!

No Stock, No Peace!

What do we want? Stock! When do we  want it? As soon as possible, thanks! (Well, I AM Canadian...)

8)

X100!!!!!!!!!!

The Pro Stock Vega is coming back, so the odds are that the stock tooling might still be viable. These Funny Vega kits are mostly a novelty they made to cash in on the Funny Car Craze of the 70's

The chassis under the Funny Vega is a shortened version of their Logghe Chassis and can be lengthened back to "stock" length 

On 3/23/2019 at 3:29 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

That diecast Peerless looks nice, though I'm not going to lie, I'd love a kit version.

You and me both. With imagination, there is a huge potential for 1930s cars that most product managers don't seem to consider. And, with mould prices dropping as advanced manufacturing improves, there's less and less justification to not at least consider it.

Charlie Larkin

21 hours ago, Faust said:

Hey now!!!

No Stock, No Peace!

8)

Make it four for a stock Vega wagon. I'd be happy with the coupe or hatch, too. Or all three. Especially if they're the same year and early ones. I could have have some fun in a diorama with that.

Charlie Larkin

8 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

You and me both. With imagination, there is a huge potential for 1930s cars that most product managers don't seem to consider. And, with mould prices dropping as advanced manufacturing improves, there's less and less justification to not at least consider it.

Charlie Larkin

They obviously though there was enough demand for that Peerless to cut a set of moulds for a diecast, and it's not like it's that big a name.