Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Superb model builder Jim Kampmann had a 1/1 scale Vega Panel Delivery with a 350 SBC back in the day...maybe someone can get him to tell more.....TIM 

Wow Tim, I’m speechless! It was a real sleeper, fun to drive and the engine was pretty much stock. It had a Turbo 350 trans and 10 bolt rear axle. Plus it got 20 mpg!

Best,

Jim Kampmann 

46 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Back about 1979  or so. I worked in the lawn and garden dept and a local retailer.

One day had to go load a couple  bags of mulch for a customer.

We walked up to a dark green Vega hatchback,,,maybe a 72 or 73 maybe .. I commented about the  5 lug rallye wheels and  he just smiled. So we talked for a few minutes.

Guys parents had bought it new and it was a hand me down to him with a very tired 4 cyl.. So he decided to turn it up a notch for a street toy. Turned out the car had a smog motor 454 stuffed in it.

I remember he told me the car actually handled fairly well for  being that nose heavy. Was actually very decent on gas.   But,,,,,, was quite the handful  if you even  barely leaned on the gas to much,,. he said you better have it pointed where you wanted to go because you were gonna get there quickly.

weird part is there was no huge tires under it ( maybe a G60-14 )  wasn't real loud when running. And just a small hood scoop to clear the carb and air cleaner.

Ultimate sleeper!

I had a pal in the late 70's who owned a 427 '68 Camaro. Tuff car! He lined up at a red light against a buddy of his who was in a VEGA hatch with a 350 in it. Light turned green...they launched...cop saw them...my pal in the Camaro got the ticket, because the cop got to him, first!

Back in the early to mid 1990s, someone my grandmother knew from church had visitors come up from North Carolina.  They all decided to come over to my folks' house to visit.  I happened to come over later that day and saw their vehicle.  It was a '71 or '72 Vega GT in that nice green color shown above.  I complimented them on their car.  It was in nice condition, and was driven from the south all the way to Michigan.  For someone to drive such an old car seemed kind of gutsy to me.  I was tempted to make an offer for it, but I kept my mouth shut. 

On July 14, 2019 at 5:49 PM, Snake45 said:

You must be a youngster. 

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a Vega on the road. Probably not in this century. :unsure:

The last Vega I can DEFINITELY remember was, in the early '80s I dated a girl whose brother was a serious gearhead who had a hot rod one with a heavily built SBC in it. Never saw it on the street but it was complete and I have no doubt it was running. 

Last one I remember was at the local drag strip. They make sharp race cars...

On 7/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, Daddyfink said:

The chassis under the Funny Vega is a shortened version of their Logghe Chassis and can be lengthened back to "stock" length 

I just thought to check and discovered that both the Vega and the '68-'70 AMX had 97" wheelbase. I suspect that the funny chassis--at least its shorty main rails--originated in the JoHan/AMT annual AMX kits, which included a full funny car option. 

22 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I just thought to check and discovered that both the Vega and the '68-'70 AMX had 97" wheelbase. I suspect that the funny chassis--at least its shorty main rails--originated in the JoHan/AMT annual AMX kits, which included a full funny car option. 

So, could a Gremlin Re-issue be far behind? 

Image result for amt gremlin funny car

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The AMX kits were produced by Jo-Han, from Jo-Han tooling.  The AMT chassis is totally different.  I never checked, but heard it uses a lot of parts from earlier AMT funny car chassis like the '69 and '70 Mustangs.

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

So, could a Gremlin Re-issue be far behind? 

That seems likely (again, IF Round2 is reissuing the early Vega F/C) since both share the same chassis an tinwork:

AMT Vega F/C:

AMTT457VegaFunnyCar4.jpg

AMT Gremlin F/C:

AMTT347GremlinFunnyCar4.jpg

On 7/14/2019 at 10:33 AM, Motor City said:

Guys,

The Vega promo is dirt cheap (under $50.00).  Okay, let me rephrase that for those who complain about $50.00 being a lot of money.  You could probably buy two for that price if you are patient.  Aside from not being able to open the hood, it makes a great model.  I have the ugly Mesa Sand '71 (an orangy tan) and a dark green '73.  There are many out there with scratched paint or molded plastic, broken bumpers, scratched glass.  You can do a lot with these for little money.  It's the same situation with the Monza, Cavalier and Beretta.  

I am building a 1971 V8 Vega using a $20 promo. Easy to scribe the hoop open

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

That Gremlin body and grille(s) look very different than the stock version......

Same body: it was updated through '74 as the funny car, then converted to the stock version.  I've got an early body and bumpers stashed for a Wally Booth '72 project...

Different, or reworked, the closed-hood body has not been issued since the last ('74) funny car "annual".  The first "stock" issue (Mini Muscle Car) was a '74 also.  The reworked cowl had vent detail but no windshield wipers, which were added for the '75 annual.  I'd bet that if a Round 2 Gremlin funny car ever appears, it will include the separate-hood body with instructions telling the builder to cut it.

8 hours ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

While it is hopefully the almost stock Vega Wagon FC we are getting, the chassis for this kit was recently released in the Trojan Horse FC. So they have that chassis ready to go and would only need to get this body mold working. 

8D134646-60C4-49A3-85CA-22D1FD7D1022.jpeg

Round 2 has disclosed that they do not have the tool for this body.  Seldom does a manufacturer admit something like that, but for some reason they did in this case.  No great loss IMO.

No, the one that will be issued is the shorter one with the somewhat stock looking body and short Logghe style chassis.  It's the stretched version that no longer exists.  Different kit altogether.

20 minutes ago, Mark said:

No, the one that will be issued is the shorter one with the somewhat stock looking body and short Logghe style chassis.  It's the stretched version that no longer exists.  Different kit altogether.

Possibilities:

1) What Mark mentioned above is what they'll reissue

2) MPC Vega F/C kit in AMT packaging (seems unlikely to me, but...)

3) All new replacement body for the now-missing Vega/Astre kit's body. Maybe Round2 had a replacement Vega body shell 3D printed to use as a master?

4) ???

I guess I am still leaning toward #1, and hoping Round2 was able to dig out the vintage F/C molds/inserts, and if a Gremlin version is possible as a second kit, even better. I don't see a ton of money making potential in a new Vega body paired with the existing longer/correct wheelbase chassis, but if Revell's F/C molds went to Atlantis, then I could see it making some business sense for Round2. #2 doesn't seem to be consistent with what Round2 has done in the past with AMT and MPC kits, though.

I went looking for the Pontiac/Astre on the famous auction site. Noticed several people trying to unload their originals. I also found this completed auction of the double car blob.....If those molds are lost, let's hope they're not found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AMT-Pontiac-Astre-or-Chevrolet-Vega-Funny-Car-1-25-Model-Kit-T244-/183783353403?hash=item2aca576c3b%3Ag%3AbcEAAOSw23dcvQk7&nma=true&si=UM8w%2FRY3lgxspZpWqSpgsLVG%2FDI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

16 hours ago, Mark said:

No, the one that will be issued is the shorter one with the somewhat stock looking body and short Logghe style chassis. 

I'm sure this is the case because last year I paid $25 for a rebuildable one (with some work). Soon I'll be able to buy a new one at Hobby Lobby for under $20 with coupon, or, possibly, if I wait awhile, for under $10 on sale. Ain't it always the way? :rolleyes::angry: