Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Rob Hall said:

I assume it’s the Petty Dart kit with different decals and box art.  

Correct. The original release of this kit was the same way. It was the same as the Petty Dart, but with different decals.

There was never a real Scamp body offered by AMT in this series...but an industrious modeler could conceivably combine the body of the Dart Swinger with the front clip from either the AMT '71 Duster or '75 stock car to make a Scamp. Neither would be 100% correct, as a '71 Scamp would use the base grille (available in resin), and the '75 grille would have to be replaced with a '73-'74 grille (to make a '73 style car- with the slim rear bumper and later style front clip), but then again, many of these cars that raced were cobbled together, so if you weren't building a straight-up replica, anything goes.  

On 9/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, Casey said:

No joke about it, they do, especially when two visually different boxes are released within a few years of one another, yet contain the same kit.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't spend any money on the AMT/MPC '69 Camaro. The new box art is gorgeous, and the decals will likely be well done, too, but see here, please:

Haha! I should be getting that one for review soon.

I've never even seen it myself so this should be interesting if people say it's a bad kit.

I have the MPC Convertible. I don't think it is a BAD kit, as it is indeed sort of Camaro shaped. But the Engine and Wheels in mine are blobs, and the MPC 1980's Chrome is way, way too thick, so that the wheels and other parts are soft, shiny shapes. This new one, might be better in some ways, but the Body has been dumped on by folks who know a whole bunch more about Camaros than I do.

If it has stock, custom tires & Slicks, (Total 10 tires), I'll buy a set of ten tires, and a new decal sheet, and get a free box of extra, possibly Camaro shaped parts. If there are only 4 or 6 tires, I have enough parts kits already........

2 hours ago, alexis said:

If it has stock, custom tires & Slicks, (Total 10 tires), I'll buy a set of ten tires, and a new decal sheet, and get a free box of extra, possibly Camaro shaped parts. If there are only 4 or 6 tires, I have enough parts kits already........

The bottom of the box shows 8 tires, no slicks. 

The wheels in the last issue of this kit were two slightly different sets of "American-ish" wheels. They're not great, but they're usable--just not on what you'd consider a really good build. 

It is INDEED a very pretty box. I feel sorry for the guys who buy it, and discover that the kit is only So-So.

The more Thought I've given it, the more I'm coming to disagree with Round2's policy of releasing sub-optimal kits. This kit and the '67 GTO coming quickest to mind. Better to let these tools die in the vaults, rather than keep them coming and turning off more generations of customers.

28 minutes ago, alexis said:

It is INDEED a very pretty box. I feel sorry for the guys who buy it, and discover that the kit is only So-So.

The more Thought I've given it, the more I'm coming to disagree with Round2's policy of releasing sub-optimal kits. This kit and the '67 GTO coming quickest to mind. Better to let these tools die in the vaults, rather than keep them coming and turning off more generations of customers.

There's a difference between the two. The '67 Goat, bad as it is, is the only game in town, and if you really want a nice one, you can kitbash it with a Revell '66 to get one. 

There's no excuse for the wretched backbirth old MPC '69 Camaro, though, with the Revell kit being better in EVERY way. (Well, the AMT/MPC one does have the SS hood, which is fairly rare, but didn't at least some Revell issues have that too?)

AFAIK, one issue of the Revell 69, a snapper molded in yellow or red, IIRC had the SS Hood you seek. It is a rare kit, and since it is a snapper, not well regarded. Larry Greenberg did a review of the kit in this magazine when it first cane out. The hood was separate, so a relatively easy swap to the glue kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the AMT (originally an MPC kit, now repackaged under the AMT label) '69 Yenko Camaro kit is out, and while the long box sides call out some appealing features and parts, I wouldn't recommend this when the Revell 1/25 '69 Camaro kits are vastly superior:

amt69yenko0.jpg.4420bb5367a0ac6a488730fa505efa4c.jpg

amt69yenko.jpg.e2097c05d6d356fc54c97719d7c631fb.jpg

amt69yenko2.jpg.97b8dcf74b6f53d107cd4e4367da0ec9.jpg

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Looks like the AMT (originally an MPC kit, now repackaged under the AMT label) '69 Yenko Camaro kit is out, and while the long box sides call out some appealing features and parts, I wouldn't recommend this when the Revell 1/25 '69 Camaro kits are vastly superior:

I don't recall those wheels and tires being that great, might have to wait and see. It's a shame the body is not right in this kit.

New hood, wheels, pad printed tires.  Mags.  I'm imagining Round2 thinking they are going to sell a  lot of subpar kits because  1)its a 69 Camaro and they always sell and 2) the extra parts will sell the kit to people needing just the parts.   As said before, the Revell 69 Camaro is the standard for 69 Camaros now.   

It looks enough like a 69 Camaro that a lot of HL shoppers won't know the differences and may not care.   I say that because I was at HL the other week and the model aisle was about half people looking for gifts for someone else and accuracy had no bearing on their decisions.  Box art was the thing.  Doll up the box so a shopper will notice it and buy the gift.  let the modeler that receives it decide if it's good or bad.   I like when people think enough of me to want to buy me a model - shows they really know me.  BUT would rather have a gift card or straight up cash to buy the version I want or the supplies I need (more likely).  Supplies don't feel like a good gift to non modelers?  Is it accident that HL displays their models with front showing?  I doubt it.  Look how FEW models they actually have to have.   Not like when we older builders would go to the dime store and they'd be packed in with just the end of the box showing.  

I've built all the 69 Camaros I'll ever need most likely.  unless they produce a 69 with straight 6 and powerglide like my aunt, then uncle had.  And it should have big/little Keystone Klassics too.  Then I'm in.  LOL  It was a great looking car though.

I have to agree with the general feeling about the old MPC based kit body.  The proportions are only close if you don't put on your glasses, or have never seen a real '69 Camaro. The box art would lead you to expect something far better than what's inside.  The addition of the current Round 2 wheels and tires are what makes this a worthwhile consideration.  

44 minutes ago, espo said:

The addition of the current Round 2 wheels and tires are what makes this a worthwhile consideration.  

Not sure if this is what you meant by "current", but I'm 99.9% sure the 5-spoke aftermarket wheels which will be included in this kit are not the same wheels Round2 has included in mutliple kits over the last few years. The wheels included in the '69 Yenko kit were created back when AMT was still under RC2's control, and are grouped with the pther chrome plated parts:

s-l1600.jpg

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not sure if this is what you meant by "current", but I'm 99.9% sure the 5-spoke aftermarket wheels which will be included in this kit are not the same wheels Round2 has included in mutliple kits over the last few years. The wheels included in the '69 Yenko kit were created back when AMT was still under RC2's control, and are grouped with the pther chrome plated parts:

s-l1600.jpg

I wasn't sure about the wheels, but thankyou for pointing out just what is in the kit. Those were pretty good looking wheels for the time but looking at them now they look like 14" or 15" wheels compared to what we see in kits now. 

20 hours ago, Casey said:

I’ll take one of those boxes, please! 

Oh look- it comes with a grille! 

On 9/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, hpiguy said:

Haha! I should be getting that one for review soon.

I've never even seen it myself so this should be interesting if people say it's a bad kit.

Well, I requested the 69 Yenko in my latest batch of kits but it did not get sent. Oh well. 

I got a big box of other kits though so as soon as I get the word I will start gluing and posting builds up for those that are curious what will be in upcoming releases.

Looking forward to the 74 Road Runner, 65 Chevelle Wagon as two of my faves from this shipment (But I like em all).  The Italeri/AMT re-boxing of the Peterbilt 378 Long Hauler looks like a big parts count, should be interesting. I hear they are pretty good truck kits.

Time to get gluing!