Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

Saw this at the NNL Nationals 40th today at the Round 2 table... incl. the box art for the upcoming '70 Camaro Z/28 w/ new front parts for the full width bumper variation.  The Round 2 fellow said likely 1st quarter 2020. 

unnamed-3.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Saw this at the NNL Nationals 40th today at the Round 2 table... incl. the box art for the upcoming '70 Camaro Z/28 w/ new front parts for the full width bumper variation.  The Round 2 fellow said likely 1st quarter 2020. 

unnamed-3.jpg

Again, y'all can thank me personally for that one--I just bought a restorable glue bomb off eBay for healthy $$$. 

70CamaroB03.jpg.f2a83a190e5a9c8457cc178fd66c680c.jpg

Just now, Snake45 said:

Again, y'all can thank me personally for that one--I just bought a restorable glue bomb off eBay for healthy $$$. 

70CamaroB03.jpg.f2a83a190e5a9c8457cc178fd66c680c.jpg

I've got a couple of AMT '70 builtups in pretty similar shape.  For a long while, those didn't seem to be too tough to find in built form.  AMT marketed the '70 kit through '71, in the same box.  MPC got the promo model rights for '71.  Chevrolet apparently wanted the RS split-bumper version for '71, as MPC converted their full-width bumper version to the split version for '71-'73.

Now, finding the MPC full-width bumper version is another matter entirely...

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I've got a couple of AMT '70 builtups in pretty similar shape.  For a long while, those didn't seem to be too tough to find in built form.  AMT marketed the '70 kit through '71, in the same box.  MPC got the promo model rights for '71.  Chevrolet apparently wanted the RS split-bumper version for '71, as MPC converted their full-width bumper version to the split version for '71-'73.

Now, finding the MPC full-width bumper version is another matter entirely...

ignore the volare,still slowly getting parts for mineB)IMG_1103.thumb.JPG.c754195a5c7f36eb5e3c3ce01e5e3a5e.JPG

I bought an MPC '70 last year, I believe it's tied with one of my '63 Fairlanes for the highest price I ever paid for a kit.  No regrets, in fact, if the new kit drives some of the originals onto swap meet tables, I might pick up another one provided it's in the right condition and the price is right.

18 minutes ago, espo said:

I wonder how the Camaro kit would compare with the Revell RS kit ? I don't recall the '65 Coronet but it looks interesting to me.  

Revell doesn't have a '70.   This is the modern tooling AMT '70, which has always had an RS nose in Z/28 and Baldwin Motion versions...this is a modified reissue now  w/ the standard nose.   The '65 Coronet is a rebox of the Polar Lights kit from about 15 years ago. 

Edited by Rob Hall

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Revell doesn't have a '70.   This is the modern tooling AMT '70, which has always had an RS nose in Z/28 and Baldwin Motion versions...this is a modified reissue now  w/ the standard nose.   The '65 Coronet is a rebox of the Polar Lights kit from about 15 years ago. 

Thank you for the information. Now that you mention it I had forgotten that the Camaro was done by AMT and not Revell. I wonder if both parts are present ? Does the Coronet  have an engine ? I don't think I ever got one years ago.  

Just now, espo said:

Thank you for the information. Now that you mention it I had forgotten that the Camaro was done by AMT and not Revell. I wonder if both parts are present ? Does the Coronet  have an engine ? I don't think I ever got one years ago.  

Yes, it has an engine. I wonder if it's going to be molded in color this time.      I do wonder how they are going to the new front for the Camaro..I'd assume a new body and front bumper, grille, parking lights, etc.

According to John from Round 2, the Camaro body will be partially new, not all new.  The original tooling was not designed with both versions in mind (a real bonehead play considering that it was done after Revell's '69 kits).  The sections that form the front of the body had to be changed, but the original tooling had the outer side of the roof, and possibly the deck lid, incorporated with the area they needed to change.  So, to do this version while still maintaining the ability to reissue the original versions, they had to take more time with it than originally planned.  

I knew of a resin offering years ago that someone made to convert the RS to a standard front bumper. My hope would be that they were able to do something like that as I would hate to lose the ability to build an RS since that is my personal preference. 

26 minutes ago, Mark said:

So, to do this version while still maintaining the ability to reissue the original versions, they had to take more time with it than originally planned.  

And I'm just fine with that.

I don't think a stock '70.5 Z/38 kit has been available at the retail level since the molded-in-orange, mass market #635 AMT '70.5 Camaro Z/28 kit was issued:

AMT635705CamaroZ28.jpg.cdf2747df0a841899299237538aee04d.jpg

On 10/13/2019 at 9:37 AM, espo said:

I knew of a resin offering years ago that someone made to convert the RS to a standard front bumper. My hope would be that they were able to do something like that as I would hate to lose the ability to build an RS since that is my personal preference. 

Glad i never ended up pulling the trigger on that resin conversion now that the kit is coming. Not buying resin parts when you see them is a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot. Sometimes you win (this time), but often you lose (too many to mention).

6 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Glad i never ended up pulling the trigger on that resin conversion now that the kit is coming. Not buying resin parts when you see them is a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot. Sometimes you win (this time), but often you lose (too many to mention).

I bought the resin conversion parts for this maybe 15 years ago..still haven't used them. 

Remember... remember... remember... gotta send my "Holy Grail" kit list to Snake so he can buy them all up and then get that reissue-fountain to start pouring out those holy-grail kits that I long to buy!!!