Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

37 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Well, the Schwinn Sting-Ray Classic Krate, MPC914

image.png.d97105b0737cb94f0448d8f43a1a663d.png

and AMT1132, Double Header (Tandem Trailers)

image.png.77edbe2175063a6ed6b822e6c711edd3.png

are now available. I need a couple of each. :D

Ill b in for one of both but still cant find them in stock,Do u have a linkie to purchase these ?

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I do, if it's the same old retreaded MPC POS hiding under pretty box art. Shame on them! 

Of course it is...when was the last time you saw an all new tooling car kit from Round 2. :rolleyes:

I thought we would see at least a coupe new tooling automotive kits from them by now, it's around 10 years since Round 2 took over and have almost exclusively done reissues, wich is fine by me but an all new kit now and then wouldn't hurt.
Especially now when Revell is under new ownership and no one knows if they are planning any new kits as everything they have released so far was allready in the works before the new owners came in...then we only have Moebius.

Edited by Force

I don't mind Round 2 repoping kit especially when they spice them up with tampo printed tires and nice decal sheets like the Coke decals. I got a second chance at the 77 Pinto, The Autocar Semi, and others that we have not seen in years..

Edited by slusher

8 minutes ago, Force said:

I thought we would see at least a coupe new tooling automotive kits from them by now, it's around 10 years since Round 2 took over and have almost exclusively done reissues, wich is fine by me but an all new kit now and then wouldn't hurt.
Especially now when Revell is under new ownership and no one knows if they are planning any new kits as everything they have released so far was allready in the works before the new owners came in...then we only have Moebius.

Very true..

I don't mind if they repop old kits, they all do and have to to make money out of the tooling, so it's fine by me, especially when they reissue old rarely issued kits.
But how many of the same kit can you buy...or want to buy...even if they have new tampo printed tires, Coca Cola and other decals, nice boxart or whatever, it's still basically the same kits they put out over and over.
I have enough kits in my stash to last me a couple of lifetimes but a new kit now and then isn't a bad thing and keeps the interest up for us old geezers who have been around forever. ;)

Edited by Force

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Very true..

There are many I have been waiting for decades to be re-issued like us older builders have.   We like to be able to take a trip down memory lane for us so I welcome the reissues but would like to see more of them that have not been out in over  40 years...like the 78 Dodge D-100 pickup...anyone seen them at a hobby lobby yet..???

5 hours ago, Force said:

I thought we would see at least a coupe new tooling automotive kits from them by now, it's around 10 years since Round 2 took over and have almost exclusively done reissues, which is fine by me but an all new kit now and then wouldn't hurt.
Especially now when Revell is under new ownership and no one knows if they are planning any new kits as everything they have released so far was already in the works before the new owners came in...then z

Guys....we all tend to too easily forget this all-new kit tool series from Round 2 a couple of years ago....if it had sold in "barn burner" sales volume, we'd have probably seen some more newly tooled car volumes by now....   

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amt-full/

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amts-cam/

Having said that, I also should note that I fully agree with most in this thread that the AMT '69 Camaro kit should never have seen another reissue.   Those of you who have my book "Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits" will see that I singled this kit (i.e. the previous reissues of it) for some particularly harsh comments...

TIM  

5 hours ago, Force said:

I don't mind if they repop old kits, they all do and have to to make money out of the tooling, so it's fine by me, especially when they reissue old rarely issued kits.
But how many of the same kit can you buy...or want to buy...even if they have new tampo printed tires, Coca Cola and other decals, nice boxart or whatever, it's still basically the same kits they put out over and over.
I have enough kits in my stash to last me a couple of lifetimes but a new kit now and then isn't a bad thing and keeps the interest up for us old geezers who have been around forever. ;)

I only by kits I don't have by Round 2. I do admit a new kit I does grab my attention also...

34 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Having said that, I also should note that I fully agree with most in this thread that the AMT '69 Camaro kit should never have seen another reissue.   Those of you who have my book "Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits" will see that I singled this kit (i.e. the previous reissues of it) for some particularly harsh comments...

TIM  

They weren't harsh ENOUGH, Tim. :D

I'm allowed to speak about this kit, as I've built five of them over the years, starting in 1969. One of these days I'm gonna get all five together and write a post called "Half a Century with the MPC '69 Camaro." :D:D

MPC69Camaro43.jpg.b36e95f12eafa91ae23e0ac02faca806.jpg

12 minutes ago, Vince Nemanic said:

The "new" Dukes of Hazzard snap kit and the three shop dioramas are all new tools from Round 2. Just sayin'.

Yup. And they make a ton of new Sci-Fi kits, always new issues in that arena because they sell well and they also make new resin figure kits too. 

For me, I love all the reissues. I've been making models since I was a kid, but I still never had a chance to make even half of the stuff they have re-issued. It's all new to me.  I'm really glad the peeps at R2, Revell and Atlantis are digging into the archives and bringing stuff back all the time. 

And of course I appreciate the work that goes into the companies that make all new kits too, it can't be an easy undertaking and the financial risk these days.

I'm not enough of an expert on every make and model to know if a roof line is a bit off or the fenders are kinda thick, etc so I'm lucky in that I can build the kit and have a blast doing it. It looks like the Ford, Chevy,  Dodge  it depicts when it's done and I'm happy that it was a fun addition to my builds.

While I am not in demo R2 is after, I don't really care if they are doing reissues, they are reissuing some kits that ive wanted to get, but the prices for them have been way more than the kits are worth to me.  Of course, its always to nice to get new tooled kits too.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:23 PM, SfanGoch said:

AMT 1132, Double Header (Tandem Trailers)

image.png.77edbe2175063a6ed6b822e6c711edd3.png

are now available. . :D

SAD!:( Ive been dying to get one but now that its finally available, No Freakin' $$$ to get one or even that Autocar dumper coming soon? I hope hobby lobby shelves will get this in a few months for maybe i will have some $$$ finally?:blink:

18 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Guys....we all tend to too easily forget this all-new kit tool series from Round 2 a couple of years ago....if it had sold in "barn burner" sales volume, we'd have probably seen some more newly tooled car volumes by now....   

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amt-full/

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-look-amts-cam/

TIM  

It's easy to forget as I have never looked at them...too new for me. ;)
Maybe a present generation Camaro was not the right subject to expect to sell in large volumes...they would most likely have done better if they did a good first generation Camaro...yes they allready have a 67 and 68 and the dreadful old MPC 69 but they are definately not of todays standard.
One thing they could do if they don't want to do completely new tooling is to further develop existing tools and do other kits from that tooling, for example do new 1961 Starliner, 1962, 1963½ and 1964 Ford Galaxie kits based on the very nice 1960 Starliner tooling, tool up new bodys, chrome, seats, console and interior sides and you are done and have new kits I believe would sell quite well, at least the 61, 63½ and 64...the old "Annual" and "Craftsman" kits we have now wich aren't that correct and somewhat crude detailwise and has passed the "expiration date" a long time ago.
They have other tooling that could be devloped the same way.
I think I have bought 90% of the Revell new tooling kits released the last 10-15 years and I'm not alone, so they must have done something right when developing new kits, and the kits I have bought are mostly hot rods and classic cars and I think it's where the market is.
So they have to "feel the market" and put out what people want and the kits will sell.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

It's easy to forget as I have never looked at them...too new for me. ;)
Maybe a present generation Camaro was not the right subject to expect to sell in large volumes...they would most likely have done better if they did a good first generation Camaro...yes they allready have a 67 and 68 and the dreadful old MPC 69 but they are definately not of todays standard.
One thing they could do if they don't want to do completely new tooling is to further develop existing tools and do other kits from that tooling, for example do new 1961 Starliner, 1962, 1963½ and 1964 Ford Galaxie kits based on the very nice 1960 Starliner tooling, tool up new bodys, chrome, seats, console and interior sides and you are done and have new kits I believe would sell quite well, at least the 61, 63½ and 64...the old "Annual" and "Craftsman" kits we have now wich aren't that correct and somewhat crude detailwise and has passed the "expiration date" a long time ago.
They have other tooling that could be devloped the same way.
I think I have bought 90% of the Revell new tooling kits released the last 10-15 years and I'm not alone, so they must have done something right when developing new kits, and the kits I have bought are mostly hot rods and classic cars and I think it's where the market is.
So they have to "feel the market" and put out what people want and the kits will sell.

Many of the body's are still pretty good on those Galaxies.... just need some updated interior and chassis under them. Same with the 61 Ranchero, 66 Mustang, and others.

As for Revell new toolings, I stay away from a lot of them. Too many of their offerings have incorrect bodies, and I just got tired of trying to correct them. Some are tolerable, some are just junk IMO

On 6/22/2019 at 2:14 AM, Force said:

Of course it is...when was the last time you saw an all new tooling car kit from Round 2. :rolleyes:

I do like the newer '60 Ford Starliner kit that came out not long ago.... Just bummed out they did not include their display stand for one of the engines... Oh, well....?

11 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Many of the body's are still pretty good on those Galaxies.... just need some updated interior and chassis under them. Same with the 61 Ranchero, 66 Mustang, and others.

As for Revell new toolings, I stay away from a lot of them. Too many of their offerings have incorrect bodies, and I just got tired of trying to correct them. Some are tolerable, some are just junk IMO

The body shapes are not bad but the rest has lots to desire.
The '64 we have now has no opening hood as it is an unassmbled promo and as a consequense of that no detailing there, the more detailed one they did was converted to a modified Stocker race car, the tail light area on the '63 is very wrong with oversize bezels and wrong tail lights, some crude detailing here and there and it's not that good under the hood, both these also has a convertible interiors...so the kits show the age as they are developed in the early 60's.
So in my opinion we do need better kits of those.

4 hours ago, Deuces said:

I do like the newer '60 Ford Starliner kit that came out not long ago.... Just bummed out they did not include their display stand for one of the engines... Oh, well.

The '60 Ford Starliner was one of the last kits AMT/ERTL issued before Racing Champions bought the company and was originally issued back in 2000...that's not that long ago...just 19 years.
After Round2 took over they combined the originally two kits into one 2 'n 1 kit wich it wasn't meant to be from the beginning as the stock version and the custom version was separate kits, that's why you get two engines.
The last kits AMT/ERTL developed in the late 90's to early 2000's was pretty good.

Edited by Force