Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Casey

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Judging by some of their recent offerings, Round2 figures their market isn't that demanding.  It's more about reliving their childhood than creating a detailed model.

Yes, but the big question is,  is that market big enough to carry the investment for what will be a faithful re-production of an old tool,  vs how big the market is to support an all new detailed kit,  cuz "cutting the tooling is where the bulk of the investment goes to.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I remember A few months ago an armour kit released  that had 16 Lugnuts instead of 32 people in The armour modelling world went crazy and acted as if the world was about to end  The reason round to re-issues these Kits and gets away with the poor quality is they know modellers won’t put up a fight The only way to get better kits it’s for all of us to stop buying the kits out now and each and everyone of us email the companies and complain now I know this won’t happen but it’s the only way I see a change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Yes, but the big question is,  is that market big enough to carry the investment for what will be a faithful re-production of an old tool,  vs how big the market is to support an all new detailed kit,  cuz "cutting the tooling is where the bulk of the investment goes to.

 

 

 I think a new accurate kit Of something that is missing  in the modelling world would sell better than a re-issued kit with a lot of flaws that lots of people have already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only viable cost effective way to get a '68/'69 Coronet at this point would be to start over with an all new kit that you could tool in the drag/NASCAR/convertible, et all versions in from the jump.  There's not a single piece of tooling AMT or MPC made that's in a CAD format that can just be tweaked to re-cut the old tooling.  Plus since the 68 & 69 begat the '70, you'd also have to convince Round2 that they should destroy a "free money" kit they currently have on the market in factory & Pro Street formats to clumsily backdate the tooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 9:58 PM, drag racer 15 said:

 I remember A few months ago an armour kit released  that had 16 Lugnuts instead of 32 people in The armour modelling world went crazy and acted as if the world was about to end  The reason round to re-issues these Kits and gets away with the poor quality is they know modellers won’t put up a fight The only way to get better kits it’s for all of us to stop buying the kits out now and each and everyone of us email the companies and complain now I know this won’t happen but it’s the only way I see a change

Round2 doesn't sell to us. They sell to retailers. A boycut would likely just result in retailers dropping model car kits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Round2 doesn't sell to us. They sell to retailers. A boycut would likely just result in retailers dropping model car kits. 

That is a good point and something I should have thought of before 

really we need more model companies like slavinos JR. that are smaller and focus on accuracy in a Specific subject of cars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, jackpot this month!

I like the stakebed with the NEW Coke vending machine kits - great idea!

I've been wanting the White Western Star for a while,  good to know I wont have to pay inflated prices for it.

The Peterbilt, Hemi Under Glass and 74 Roadrunner are just icing on the proverbial cake.

Great stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice looking bunch of re-pops, this month!! First time I've ever seen a snowboard in a model kit. Truck tires look nice. Decals look great on all the kits, even the Coke decals!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The H.U.G. is a good idea, but I'm saddened by all the empty space on the Chrome tree, and the lack of Pad Printed slicks. Once again, great idea, let down by cost cutting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, alexis said:

 the lack of Pad Printed slicks.

Maybe Round2 was correct in including plain slicks for this particular kit:

Hemi-Under-Glass.png.2b8890fce3a026f0fce43afdf6469b0e.png

Edited by Casey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casey said:

Maybe Round2 was correct in including plain slicks for this particular kit:

Hemi-Under-Glass.png.2b8890fce3a026f0fce43afdf6469b0e.png

That's the '65 car and the kit is the '66. Although the chassis is more like the '65 McEwen car. 

Edited by Snake45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the price point on the refer trailer is going to be.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tbill said:

I wonder what the price point on the refer trailer is going to be.....

Tower Hobbies has it on pre order for $65.99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One would have thought maybe being AMT branded, they would’ve been a bit cheaper, guess not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, somebody finally came out with a diecast of my first car, in the correct color:

my50plymouth-01.jpg.a702e47e8a2b9c5b4b68ab351ce9ddc4.jpg

And, let's face it, in the only scale anybody else would buy it: HO. Thank goodness for model railroaders. (G-scale would be nice - just sayin' :rolleyes:)

I like the '70s-era Coke machines, but the ones they show look like they have walnut-grain fake wood front panels - which aren't on the decal sheet...<_<

ETA: Couldn't find an exact match; this came close. That's a fake wood panel, all right:

coke-02.jpg.ab0cc84a7841ea602a0e7c8a1328cbdb.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an 80s issue of the 1974 Roadrunner,  It was listed as a GTX , molded in red and had goofy stripes and some style of 80's custom wheels on the box. I remember it had a single exhaust with catalytic converter molded in and I am pretty sure an incorrect interior. I am wondering if this new one has a correct interior and chassis? if so I would like one, otherwise I have a lot of other projects.....

Edited by larman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 11:48 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Sure it's a goofy tie-in. But they created that new tool SnapTite kit and then a few months later the world decided Dukes of Hazzard was no longer acceptable. They have to do SOMETHING with it to amortize the tooling costs since it mostly likely will never be a General Lee again.

Correct......A decent tool too.......I sent this to R2 saying it would be a cool kit.......

Dirty Mary.....

 

MARYLARRYII3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Correct......A decent tool too.......I sent this to R2 saying it would be a cool kit.......

Dirty Mary.....

 

MARYLARRYII3.JPG

Dave, where did you get those decals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, larman said:

I had an 80s issue of the 1974 Roadrunner,  It was listed as a GTX , molded in red and had goofy stripes and some style of 80's custom wheels on the box. I remember it had a single exhaust with catalytic converter molded in and I am pretty sure an incorrect interior. I am wondering if this new one has a correct interior and chassis? if so I would like one, otherwise I have a lot of other projects.....

I would presume (since there are no mentions of fixes in the kit literature) it's a straight reissue of the same kit we last saw in 2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slusher said:

Dave, where did you get those decals?

PM and I'll send info.....thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I would presume (since there are no mentions of fixes in the kit literature) it's a straight reissue of the same kit we last saw in 2012.

The last two releases (the Daisy Duke car and the Special Edition tin) had the dual exhaust/ no catalytic chassis pan, and the correct dashboard. They also had excellent decals sheets with red, white and black stock stripes and multiple engine callout options. I'm assuming that the new release will have the same stuff. The last two releases have gotten pricy on the secondary market, I think mostly because they have the correct parts, the nice decals and truly beautiful boxes.

I remember when those orange ones were pricy, it seemed like it took forever for them to finally reissue that kit (early 2000's. I think?). Even those kits from the early 2000's had the wrong dashboards, no stock graphics, and while the box art builds showed Cragar mags, they still only had the '80's modular wheels (along with the stock Rallye wheels). 

The worst part about that 80's issue (aside from the hard-to-cover orange plastic) was that some of them came with the super-duper dark tinted glass. Kind of cool now, but at the time, not the ticket for building something stock.

I want to build one of these like a car I went to look at in the 90's, that I didn't buy, but that I should have: it was a 1974 in Rallye Red, with a 318, no stripes, black bench seat interior and no power steering. The paint was beat, but the car was straight and rust free. It was a numbers Road Runner, not a Satellite. The lack of power steering was why I didn't buy it. I was a big dummy!   

Edited by CapSat 6
more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dave Van said:

PM and I'll send info.....thx

I tried to pm you and it would not go Dave...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...