Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Truck Kit Releases

Casey

I don't need another '53 F-100, but the box art is very nice and it's hands down my favorite kit to build. I think I currently have 7 or 8 of them, plus pieces of others. I'm very excited to finally see the Autocar dump truck again, I'll need a couple. I do have one that I paid almost too much money for, so I can resist raiding it for parts and actually build it instead. As for the Pete wrecker, glad to see the late cab make a return. If it's like previous releases, will it include a sleeper and fifth wheel so it can also be built as a tractor? That also being said, I'm also looking forward to the Double Header vans. Now if we can just get the Fruehauf flatbed...

Edited by Casey429

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, Luc Janssens said:

What IMHO would be neat is, if Round-2 puts in the round fenders from the earlier tractor too, so you end up with a 2'n 1 kit.

th?id=OIP.0UIhORPvyY91d09BDFG9wQHaFj&pid=15.1&P=0&w=220&h=165

th?id=OIP.UlIHwuQwcFq14lWdBnGlTAHaEd&pid=15.1&P=0&w=298&h=180

That would be a kool idea!

On 3/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, Dave Van said:

If it sold 5K kits....I'd say do it!!!!  Coke collectors buy up all things Coke.......plus I bet R2 got a blanket license.....as long as it sells....I see no issue! 

Then put me in for a "Coca-Cola" Open Road Mini Motorhome and Chevy Camper, a "Coca-Cola" 78 Bronco "Wild Hoss", a "Coke is It!" 72 GMC stepside or Ford Courier Minivan, and even "Coke" sponsored BJ & the Bear, Rubber Duck Mack and Movin' On rigs.

Whatever it takes to get these kits back on the shelves!!!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 37 caddy said:

Anyone know what truck it is,the later one or the early one with the small back window? 

The box art above shows the rear window present, so barring a major artwork mistake, it won't be the original, windowless cab version.

If you look close at the proposed kit box art this will be the 1100 series cab version of the wrecker. Some creative artwork has transposed the original Unilite cab art to the later 1100 cab . That’s ok , nice to now get the newer kit again ! And if one wants to recreate the original wrecker the older Unilite kit can still be found easily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 9:05 PM, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Great looking box art! I love that old wrecker. 

I agree,  in the early days, AMT had some great box art, but unfortunately it went sour. Hope the wrecker has the longer wheelbase as the photo depicts. No, I won't hold my breath, another modification by the modeler is necessary for that to become reality!

As I understand it it is the same old kit as they have had for years, apparently this time the sleeper is included.
With the boxart in mind I thought they would issue the first "Small Window" Unilite version of the wrecker with the Detroit Diesel 8V-71 and Stabil Aire suspension as it had the same boxart but in blue,  but as far as I understand it's the later 1100 cab version with the Cummins NTC 350 and Peterbilt Air Leaf suspension.
The wrecker body is the same on both kits tho' and it's a bit on the wide side and has to be narrowed.

Edited by Force

This a direct reissue of the AMT T533 Peterbilt Wrecker from 1975 . The wrecker body is the same from the original T522 Kit. The decals that are included are an update! So if one wants to duplicate the original box art it will not be difficult! Lots of the reissue of the original T500-500 kit are out there, and Modeltruckin’ has a repo of the original sheet! Glad to have this back in any variation, no longer having to purchase overpriced kits!

The T533 has been reissued at least four times since the first issue 1977 and the last was in 2004, so it's not that hard to find, I was a bit surprised to see them reissuing that kit again as I hoped for the T522.
The T522 has only been out once in 1972 and are much harder to find and are quite expensive, yes you can build the "original" T522 issue from what's available now (when this kit arrives) but you need aftermarket decals (if you want to do the boxart truck), the recent reissue of the T500-500 "small window" 359 and this kit (or any of the earlier issues) to do it...so that will not be cheap either. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

• Xingu locked this topic