Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Truck Kit Releases

Casey

On 5/31/2019 at 9:11 AM, JerseeJerry55 said:

We need a reissue of the ERTL IH 4070B. That would make a lot of us very happy. 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:56 AM, Force said:

This one?

Bildresultat för ERTL IH 4070B

Unless he got the A and the B confused. Either way, the A has only been issued once in its original release in 1974 and the B Transtar II only twice in 1976 and 1996. 

5cf37156ef288_ErtlInternationalTranstarCO-4070A.jpg.dbfe77191e07d46fd4c87e2c8c3c83a7.jpg

On 31.05.2019 at 4:11 PM, JerseeJerry55 said:

We need a reissue of the ERTL IH 4070B. That would make a lot of us very happy. 

The list can be continued. ERTL IH S-series for example.

9 hours ago, highway said:

Unless he got the A and the B confused. Either way, the A has only been issued once in its original release in 1974 and the B Transtar II only twice in 1976 and 1996. 

5cf37156ef288_ErtlInternationalTranstarCO-4070A.jpg.dbfe77191e07d46fd4c87e2c8c3c83a7.jpg

Either !!   or even better -- both !!    And I would love to see a grain trailer kit like the Transtar II Eagle is pulling on the box !

22 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Either !!   or even better -- both !!    And I would love to see a grain trailer kit like the Transtar II Eagle is pulling on the box !

No the 4070B Transtar II Eagle. The 4070A original molds I believe were made into the molds for the 4070B. In any event I would love to see this reissued. Until then I'll continue to hope. 

On 2019-06-02 at 8:55 AM, highway said:

I don't know for sure but I think the CO-4070B Transtar II Eagle must have been issued more than twice, I bought a couple of them new from our local hobby shop in 1980-81-ish with kit # 8017, unfortunately there are no copyright year anywhere on the box, instructions or decals so I'm not sure when it was made...but I know I bought it later than 1976 as my funds was very strained as I still was in 6th grade in school at that time.
There was also two versions with the same 8017 kit number, the first one had the same air ride as the CO-4070A and F-4270 kits and the second version had walking beam and the ones I have has walking beam,  the Transtar II Eagle kit was also continously in the ERTL catalog from 1976 to at least 1981...I don't have access to any later ERTL catalog.
The Scalemates website lists the Transtar II Eagle kit as issued only 1976 and 1996 but I have found lots of questionable and faulty information regarding different kits on that site so I don't trust all information given there.
The 1996 reissue of the CO-4070B Transtar II Eagle has kit # 6183 by the way.

Edited by Force

22 minutes ago, Force said:

I don't know for sure but I think the Transtar II must have been issued more than twice, I bought a couple of them new from our local hobby shop in 1980-81-ish with kit # 8017, unfortunately there are no copyright year anywhere on the box, instructions or decals so I'm not sure when it was made...but I know I bought it later than 1976 as my funds was very strained as I still was in 6th grade in school at that time.
There was also two versions with the same 8017 kit number, the first one had the same air ride as the CO-4070A and F-4270 kits and the second version had walking beam and the ones I have has walking beam, and the CO-4070B Transtar II kit was continously in the ERTL catalog from 1976 to at least 1981...I don't have access to any later ERTL catalog.
The Scalemates website lists the Transtar II kit as issued only 1976 and 1996 but I have found lots of questionable and faulty things regarding different kits on that site so I don't trust all information given there.
The 1996 reissue has kit # 6183 by the way.

It would stand to reason that 1976 might have been when it was first released, but it then stayed in production for several years.  I'm not sure when the original ERTL kits stopped being marketed under the ERTL name--sometime in the 80s around the time ERTL acquired the AMT brand?     I have vague memories of seeing a shelf of ERTL kits including the Transtar II, Scouts, and farm equipment at the Quality Farm & Fleet store in Dover, Ohio, as a kid, ---must have been in the 78-81 time frame, when I was just getting into glue kits. 

Edited by Rob Hall

The first ERTL catalog I have access to is from 1974 and the last ERTL catalog is from 1982 and it's in there too,  I also have pictures of a combined catalog for ERTL, ESCI and AMT from 1983 where some of the old ERTL truck kits are so 1982-83 seems to be the year for the AMT/ERTL merge.

15 minutes ago, Force said:

The first ERTL catalog I have access to is from 1974 and the last ERTL catalog is from 1982 and it's in there too,  I also have pictures of a combined catalog for ERTL, ESCI and AMT from 1983 where some of the old ERTL truck kits are so 1982-83 seems to be the year for the AMT/ERTL merge.

That sounds right from what I remember...AMT was still owned by Matchbox in the early 80s when they released the '67 Camaro and '70 Challenger new tools...(I have a '70 Challenger convertible kit with AMT and Matchbox logos, another with AMT and ERTL logos).   

ESCI is interesting, I recall a few kits were reissued under the AMT brand, but some have been reissued under the Italeri brand...not sure what happened with them... did Italeri acquire all the tooling and AMT got some from them? (since those AMT-branded ESCI kits have never been reissued as AMT kits). 

9 hours ago, leafsprings said:

I have the 1978 catalog that shows the transtar II, but does not show the 4070A. I believe this was the first  kit was  to offer solid Alcoa wheels on the steer axle.

IMG_0202.JPG

The CO-4070A was available 1974-75 but disappeared from the catalog 1976 when the 4070B Transtar II "Eagle" came so the 4070A tooling was most likely modified to do the 4070B Transtar II,  and as you say, the Transtar II was probably the first truck kit with tubeless Alcoa ten hole front wheels, I haven't seen any earlier kits with that, the wheels at the rear are five oblong hole wheels tho'.
The Transtar Eagle 4300 came in 1977 and had the same ten hole front wheels as the Transtar II but the rears are also ten hole and not the same as the Transtar II, the F-4270 was still available after 1977 so it seems like they did a completely new tool for the Transtar Eagle 4300.

Edited by Force

3 hours ago, Force said:

The CO-4070A was available 1974-75 but disappeared from the catalog 1976 when the 4070B Transtar II "Eagle" came so the 4070A tooling was most likely modified to do the 4070B Transtar II,  and as you say, the Transtar II was probably the first truck kit with tubeless Alcoa ten hole front wheels, I haven't seen any earlier kits with that, the wheels at the rear are five oblong hole wheels tho'.
The Transtar Eagle 4300 came in 1977 and had the same ten hole front wheels as the Transtar II but the rears are also ten hole and not the same as the Transtar II, the F-4270 was still available after 1977 so it seems like they did a completely new tool for the Transtar Eagle 4300.

The original 1971 issue of the KW W925 and also the original 1971 issue of the KW K123 had Alcoa 10 hole wheels as well in all positions. The original 1969 issue of the Peterbilt California hauler and the 1970 issue of the Peterbilt 352 also were like the KWs and equipped with the 10 hole Alcoas. 

As for the International 4300 and the F-4270, I have both but know for sure where the 4300 has Alcoas and the F-4270 has spoke wheels but without doing a direct kit beside kit comparison not sure if the two share anything else or not. 

Yes they all have ten hole Alcoas but they are different from what the ERTL trucks have, the ten hole wheels on the AMT truck kits are tube tire type 20 or 22 inch wheels with separate lock rings...one exception, the KW K100 Aerodyne wich have tubeless tire style ten hole wheels but it's a much later kit than all the others as the K100 Aerodyne came 1979.
The IH CO-4070B Transtar II Eagle from 1976 and IH Transtar Eagle 4300 from 1977 both have the tubeless type 22.5 inch one piece wheels at front (the 4300 has them on all positions and they are nice ones too) and I believe they were the first kits with that style wheels, as I mentioned the AMT KW K100 Aerodyne came a couple of years later 1979 and the Revell AG kits and Monogram now Revell 1:25 snap kits wich also have tubeless one piece wheels came 1982.

The F-4270 and the 4300 are quite different, except for the wheels the engines are different, in the F-4270 is a Cummins V903 and a IH V-800 (aka the boat anchor) for the 4300, the rear suspension on the F-4270 is air ride and Walking Beam for the 4300, they might share the cab and some of the interior tho', I have not examined and compared the kits that closely.

Speaking of old ERTL kits, I wonder if Round 2 has the tooling for the ERTL Peterbilt 359 kit and the Volvo N10 kit wich came about 1981-82, both have metal chassis but it might be possible to shoot plastic into the tooling for the metal parts too.
The Peterbilt kit disappeared after the ERTL/AMT merge and I don't think the Volvo N10 has been out either.

Edited by Force

I know there's a bit of semi truck talk currently here, but I know that Round2 is bringing the 90's GMC Sonoma kit back out again as well. I'm wondering if it will just be a straight reissue of the SLS kit or if they'll change anything about it. 

O.K. Here it Goes! The Ertl International 4070 a kit was issued in 1973, The 4070 a was converted into the Transtar II in 1976 The first issues of the Transtar II used the same air ride rear  as the 4070a kit which was changed in 1977-78 The 4270 aka 4200 was also issued in 1973 which lasted till it was changed over to the 4300  The cab/interior other than seats are the same for the 4270 and 4300. The walking beam rear was shared from the Transtar II second issue , and hence the change in wheels on the 4300 as well. The first issue of the transtar 4300 shows where the original 4270 hood was made longer as the seam shows up on the underside of the hood. I have the 4070 a, first issue Transtar II, Second Issue of the Transtar II, The  Transtar F-4270 (4200) , and the first issue of the Transtar 4300 (molded in yellow) The latest 4300 was molded in all white.  In the second photo are the first issue of the Transtar II along side the second issue of the Transtar II. Yes the first issue had the air ride rear when it was issued.

0trans.jpg

transtar ii 1.jpg

transtar ii.jpg

Edited by ranma

The Transtar II has to be one of the most wanted reissues. I’ve been patiently waiting for years. I’d take a resin one, if that was an option.

Speaking of resin, It’s not a modern-tool styrene kit, but KFS did make a high quality resin White Road Commander. Granted, it’s expensive. KFS recently sold the tooling and rights of that kit to Auslowe.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, Trendsetta68 said:

I've always wished for this to be produced by any model company .....

White road commander II boxart.png

Nice Box Art. I like the stripes from the truck used for the box too.

E93B067A-D67C-4006-9076-0B0AA1DE4CFC.jpeg

Edited by vincen47

2 hours ago, vincen47 said:

The Transtar II has to be one of the most wanted reissues. I’ve been patiently waiting for years. I’d take a resin one, if that was an option.

Speaking of resin, It’s not a modern-tool styrene kit, but KFS did make a high quality resin White Road Commander. Granted, it’s expensive. KFS recently sold the tooling and rights of that kit to Auslowe.

Nice Box Art. I like the stripes from the truck used for the box too.

E93B067A-D67C-4006-9076-0B0AA1DE4CFC.jpeg

Thank you... that resin kit is the main reason that I would like a brand new styrene kit of the White Road commander.....

It's too expensive for my britches...???

The 4070A disappeared from the catalog 1976 when the 4070B Transtar II came and was never present again after, so it's obvious that the tooling was changed.
The 4300 came 1977 but the 4270 was still in the catalog 1977, 1978 and 1979, so they had either 4270 kits left in stock to be able to issue it three more years or they could do both the 4270 and the 4300 at the same time.

Edited by Force

• Xingu locked this topic