Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 40 Ford Sedan Box Art

cobraman

Did you fellows ever have one of those builds just did not go well ? No matter how simple a kit may be it just fights you ?  Well here is mine . Problems ( my fault ) were as follows . I lost the hood scoop in the garage somewhere ?  Paint problems , decal problems , BMF problems pulling of some paint . But it’s done such as it is . 

860022B2-9639-4582-A58F-53F573F42959.jpeg

E5269843-DD0A-415C-AD45-9592E49FC7C0.jpeg

53D21644-05FD-4D04-A2D9-621B1BACD30C.jpeg

Thanks guys. Such a simple kit that I have built a few times before so it should have been easy. Building for over 50 years. You would think I could avoid these issues. I will admit that I probably rushed it a bit. All the problems were of my own doing. It really is a cool old kit.

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

Did you fellows ever have one of those builds just did not go well ? No matter how simple a kit may be it just fights you ?  Well here is mine . Problems ( my fault ) were as follows . I lost the hood scoop in the garage somewhere ?  Paint problems , decal problems , BMF problems pulling of some paint . But it’s done such as it is . 

860022B2-9639-4582-A58F-53F573F42959.jpeg

E5269843-DD0A-415C-AD45-9592E49FC7C0.jpeg

53D21644-05FD-4D04-A2D9-621B1BACD30C.jpeg

Nice job on that!  I have a scoop from that kit if you need another one.

Cobraman, I know what you delt with here. I’m in the middle of this build right now, and I almost quit on it. The passenger side drip rail was non existent out of box, the chrome tree had more flash than you can shake an Xacto knife at, among other things! I broke down and got another with my 40 percent off coupon at HL. The second one was better but the body line trim molding was almost invisible on drivers side, Ugh!! Yours looks great to me and you’ve inspired me to keep chipping away, thanks. If I don’t post it up, that means I got tired of filling sink marks and seams and just shot myself lol! 

16 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I can't believe AMT can't make that hood fit better.

I had the same problem with an AMT '40 Ford coupe kit I've been working at for what seems like decades. I spent a LOT of time getting the hood to fit "right," with a proper panel line gap and so forth, and then I started looking at photos of real '40s and noticed that on many of them, the real hood doesn't fit a whole lot better! :blink: