[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
cobraman

AMT 40 Ford Sedan Box Art

Did you fellows ever have one of those builds just did not go well ? No matter how simple a kit may be it just fights you ?  Well here is mine . Problems ( my fault ) were as follows . I lost the hood scoop in the garage somewhere ?  Paint problems , decal problems , BMF problems pulling of some paint . But it’s done such as it is . 

860022B2-9639-4582-A58F-53F573F42959.jpeg

E5269843-DD0A-415C-AD45-9592E49FC7C0.jpeg

53D21644-05FD-4D04-A2D9-621B1BACD30C.jpeg

Ha !  I see one of the vent windows fell out while I was taking the pics, figures ! :D

I like it!  I'm currently working on the AMT Gasman and its one self inflicted problem after another, so I know exactly where your coming from.

I'm convinced that gremlins randomly select kit boxes to take up residence in. No rhyme or reason for which kits are selected, but you can take solace in the fact that you bested this one by completing the kit—and quite nicely, I might add. 

Thanks guys. Such a simple kit that I have built a few times before so it should have been easy. Building for over 50 years. You would think I could avoid these issues. I will admit that I probably rushed it a bit. All the problems were of my own doing. It really is a cool old kit.

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

Did you fellows ever have one of those builds just did not go well ? No matter how simple a kit may be it just fights you ?  Well here is mine . Problems ( my fault ) were as follows . I lost the hood scoop in the garage somewhere ?  Paint problems , decal problems , BMF problems pulling of some paint . But it’s done such as it is . 

860022B2-9639-4582-A58F-53F573F42959.jpeg

E5269843-DD0A-415C-AD45-9592E49FC7C0.jpeg

53D21644-05FD-4D04-A2D9-621B1BACD30C.jpeg

Nice job on that!  I have a scoop from that kit if you need another one.

Thanks Dave but I know the scoop is in my garage.................... somewhere. I remember putting primer on it.

Turned out pretty good anyway, I think it looks better without the scoop(never liked that scoop), in fact I think it looks better without the hood. I can't believe AMT can't make that hood fit better.

Ya, I don't care for the scoop either but without it it's not a box top build. I will find the ugly thing and add it. :D

A real beauty Ray! What yellow did you use? I plan on building mine to match the box art...

Looks good to me Ray and I like it better without that big scoop !  The Keystones look better than the kit wheels too .:)

Agree with the other posters, much better without the big scoop.  Suits these wheels too.

Thanks guys. The wheels are kit wheels. Carl the yellow is Duplicolor but I will have to check name of it and get back to you.

Got this one on my to get list. Yours turned out great.

It still looks great Ray. Another well done car!

Cobraman, I know what you delt with here. I’m in the middle of this build right now, and I almost quit on it. The passenger side drip rail was non existent out of box, the chrome tree had more flash than you can shake an Xacto knife at, among other things! I broke down and got another with my 40 percent off coupon at HL. The second one was better but the body line trim molding was almost invisible on drivers side, Ugh!! Yours looks great to me and you’ve inspired me to keep chipping away, thanks. If I don’t post it up, that means I got tired of filling sink marks and seams and just shot myself lol! 

16 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I can't believe AMT can't make that hood fit better.

I had the same problem with an AMT '40 Ford coupe kit I've been working at for what seems like decades. I spent a LOT of time getting the hood to fit "right," with a proper panel line gap and so forth, and then I started looking at photos of real '40s and noticed that on many of them, the real hood doesn't fit a whole lot better! :blink:

looks good. I like the box art look.

Thank you fellows. As to the side body molding on the hood. Good on one side but drivers side could not be found. I had to wing it with the BMF. Still I love these old kits I built as a youngster so many years ago.

Hey Carl !  Duplicolor Chrome Yellow was used .