Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 90-96’ 300zx TT (Z32, Fairlady)

Ahajmano

Continuing on my Z-car series. I decided on pearl yellow for the body (zero paints). This is literally my third body attempt on this car. If you have never done pearl yellow before, it’s tricky! Also got some engine detailing done.

100% instructions except the engine detail. Photo etch set by hobby design. 

Hope you enjoy! 

836CD245-A7E6-4C07-866D-359B283BA2B4.jpeg

BDCCF57F-11F5-4E8D-84B4-829EEE4C27FA.jpeg

7C226CD9-4D02-40DA-96F4-C4743E2DB6FD.jpeg

D7637032-C50B-4C0E-8EAE-455F9365F085.jpeg

E6A83A83-18EB-4A84-B835-2A8535F1CE13.jpeg

Edited by Ahajmano

So I do want to emphasis something here. I am learning the quality and technique of the wash (for shading) if absolutely crucial. The more and more I practice, it seems it makes all the difference in the world! In these close-up shots of the engine, its hard to appreciate how much more realistic it looks with the shading. Next time, i will post a before and after shot from a more reasonable distance (that a human would stand from) so you can see how dramatic the effect is!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice start. I agree with Alex, either use a darker shade or a darkened mix of the base colour or something like Tamiya panel line accent. Or take your black and thin it out to the consistency of water and let it flow through the lines rather than just painting them.