Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gainsco and Mopar Daytona Prototypes

ibj40

Action offered a Crawford-based Daytona Prototype in 1/18 scale, back right after the class was created for the Rolex Endurance Series.

Seven different chassis manufacturers produced (or at least announced) cars that would meet that specification. One of the more successful was the version prepared by Riley, a spin-off from the Riley and Scott group who produced such winning platforms as their Trans Am Camaro.

Engine selection was up to the team, with the various chassis accepting most engines. Early in the series, GM supported both a Chevy and a Pontiac small block (the same engines, just the badging); and other engine suppliers included Ford, BMW, Porsche, Lexus, Honda, and Infiniti.

I'd used the Action Crawford as the basis for a fantasy Mopar-engined version, actually grafting a factory orange block from an Ertl Dodge Dart into the model for "authenticity". I used a 1/24 scale decal set from a Nascar Craftsman Truck Series Dodge.

For my Gainsco version, although the Bob Stallings' team chose a Riley chassis, I just thought their classic livery needed to be memorialized into a custom. Patto supplied the decal set, and Action had versions with both the Chevy and Pontiac logos on the windscreen, so I used a Pontiac version for my custom.

Here's our reference photo.

31002153927_7b86ce8c15.jpg

And here are side-by-side pictures of the fantasy Mopar and the incorrectly-chassisied Gainsco.

45028655165_2b185babe2.jpg

45216735174_3c78234254.jpg

45028646825_9a131c6dc2.jpg

45216731504_5196fa24c6.jpg

45216729384_30511b1e5b_n.jpg    44124571010_2f470e1d88_n.jpg

Fun project, and the Action Crawford is a willing donor. Got a couple more of them on the shelf for future play.

I got to see these run one year at Virginia International.  Sweet.  And I love the atmosphere there and in the class at the time.   Did not have to have a paddock pass or anything like that.   And if the teams did not have the rope up at the door, they were welcoming to spectators.  They took time to talk and allow photos and such.   And the cars were pretty cool, all things considered.   I used to love the GT prototypes back in the day and these are an extension of that.   But, seems like the engines were more limited and things were done to keep costs reasonable to build the fields.  

During the race, fans could stand on the back side of the pits (fence to keep you off track - lol) and see the teams doing their jobs.   It was a great day.  VIR allowed you to go wherever you wanted to basically.   You couldn't access pit road during the race, but that was about it.   You could wander the entire facility to watch the race from wherever you wanted to.   And cruise the paddock area to be up close to the cars.  Like touching close.   Don't know if they still do that or not, but they did on that day and the other races I went to a few years back.  

Excellent model.   A good model always brings back some sort of memory, right?

21 hours ago, randyc said:

I got to see these run one year at Virginia International.  Sweet.  And I love the atmosphere there and in the class at the time.   Did not have to have a paddock pass or anything like that.   And if the teams did not have the rope up at the door, they were welcoming to spectators.  They took time to talk and allow photos and such.   And the cars were pretty cool, all things considered.   I used to love the GT prototypes back in the day and these are an extension of that.   But, seems like the engines were more limited and things were done to keep costs reasonable to build the fields.  

During the race, fans could stand on the back side of the pits (fence to keep you off track - lol) and see the teams doing their jobs.   It was a great day.  VIR allowed you to go wherever you wanted to basically.   You couldn't access pit road during the race, but that was about it.   You could wander the entire facility to watch the race from wherever you wanted to.   And cruise the paddock area to be up close to the cars.  Like touching close.   Don't know if they still do that or not, but they did on that day and the other races I went to a few years back.  

Excellent model.   A good model always brings back some sort of memory, right?

I actually never got to watch the Daytona Prototypes in person.  I did get to go to the Daytona 24 in 2000, but that was immediately prior to that era.

I loved the concept, however, as it put driver protection as the highest priority, regardless of the criticism of how "ugly" it made the car due to the mandatory clearance in the roll cage and the additional criticism that they were low-tech due to their tube frame chassis.

And as to memories, collecting and modifying 1/18 scale diecast keeps me connected to when I was actually road racing as both an owner and driver back in the mid-70's through early 90's.

Thanks, and keep a lookout for more!

I got to attend a couple of CAMEL GT races at Charlotte in the 80s.   Every convenience store in NC had free tickets courtesy of Camel.  IT was a lot of fun to go and be part of the spectacle.  

The DPs were nice too if not quite as sleek as the old prototypes.  I liked the ideas they had.  I hoped they would find large success.  I was tired of NASCAR ovals by then.  

Bet you have some fun stories from racing.  

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Bet you have some fun stories from racing.  

Oh, don't get me started.  :rolleyes:

One of these days when I have some free time, remind me to tell the story about the brief case with $20,000 in cash and a pistol, crewcab pickup and two wheel open trailer, the drive to and from Daytona, getting screwed by the first guy, and coming back to Dallas with a Corvette.

You might want to stock up first, though, with your favorite beverage.

Those were the days!