Model Cars Magazine Forum

CA fires Horror

NYLIBUD

OMG!!!Looks like a war zone.I really feel for those people who are being effected by the madness called a wild fire.Theres nothing anyone can do,I guess once those fires are headed your way.Now of course,if you have dry conditions,(no rain),fires are gonna start,that's just the way it is.However,if it does rain a lot all of a sudden,it may lower the strength of the fire,but with no trees,and loose soil from the ashes,you will most likely get bad land slides.Good luck to all.And RIP to all the victims too.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Not to detract from the real losses here, but I find pics like this fascinating. Haunting and sad, but I still like looking.

camaro.jpg

chev.jpg

firebird.jpg

jags.jpg

maserati.jpg

mustang.jpg

old.jpg

Oh man,that's hard to look at.The cars with the pink,is that from the chemical that the fire planes drop?I Saw a video of them dumping a ton of this pink dust on the fires.

21 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Oh man,that's hard to look at.The cars with the pink,is that from the chemical that the fire planes drop?I Saw a video of them dumping a ton of this pink dust on the fires.

Yeah, that's the fire retardant. I don't believe it causes any permanent damage, so that cars (and truck) should be able to be cleaned to their pre-fire condition.

Man,whole neighborhoods burned down to the ground?That is something I have difficulty picturing,living on LI.Although back when Sandy hit NY,parts of entire neighborhoods burned to the ground.But that was because of electrical,man made issues,and not a forest fire.Good luck to everyone out west dealing with this tragedy.

13 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Man,whole neighborhoods burned down to the ground?That is something I have difficulty picturing,living on LI.Although back when Sandy hit NY,parts of entire neighborhoods burned to the ground.But that was because of electrical,man made issues,and not a forest fire.Good luck to everyone out west dealing with this tragedy.

If you think the pics are bad, try seeing it in person. I wasn't in California, but I was in Fort McMurray a couple of years ago when it was on fire. Our company has a branch up there, and being very involved in the community meant that when it came time to assist, it was all hands on deck. A lot of us headed up to assist in whatever ways we could. Seeing this kind of stuff in person really shakes you.

This first pic is taken from our parking lot. Those Jeep Patriots in the foreground were delivered to the branch that morning, about 30 minutes before the evacuation notice went out. Somehow, we had zero damage to our building or vehicles.

fmm05 work.jpg

And some of the neighbourhoods.

fmm01.png

fmm02.jpg

fmm03.jpg

fmm04.jpg

Heard from a local guy that his brother was trying to get out with his family and pets. His wife was following him while he and the dogs and cats were in this 67 GTO when traffic came to a stop. Everyone was told to leave their cars and were loaded onto a couple trucks and the Guard hauled them out via a fire road because the road was overtaken by the fire. He said they had to leave their dogs loose because they weren't very people friendly but the cats were in carriers. Really sad. The car was his High School graduation present from his dad and was still all original.

But as he said, those are only things. Maybe can't be replaced but better that than one of the family!

Said they had very little warning to evacuate!

• 2 weeks later...

The Paradise (not Pleasure, POTUS!) Camp Fire was shocking, even from Chico, ten miles away!  My friend Steve lost his home (his wife's parent's 'ancestral' home in Magalia), and his restomod 1970 Datsun 240Z, which had at least on Best of Show award, and was a real rocket.  All his wife saved was the cat and some photos/papers.  Some shops/garages did survive, however, with 1;1 cars intact, even when homes burned!

I am not in contact with modeler (former owner of Paradise Hobbies; excellent model and RC shop) Roger England, who lived on the ridge.  I sure hope he and his were not hurt, and his huge collection of beautifully crafted models and unbuilt kits survived. He had sold out, and was selling on eBay.  I wish him luck!

From our friends accounts, the blaze spread so rapidly through the built up sections that it was unstoppable.  Most fire-fighters (used to be one, in the 'sixties; five seasons) were trying to establish a perimeter, and not committed to the interior of the town, so building protection per se was not adequate.  Initial attack crews for wildfires are not extensively trained or experienced in urban fire fighting, nor are they really equipped for that, a specialized application.  Being in Paradise/Magalia during the first day of the blaze was just about suicidal, according to survivors, whether you had a tanker truck or not.  Residents of the ridge towns were probably the most aware of their vulnerability, in reality: my daughter who had sold and moved out to Chico 15 years ago said that neighbors talked about 'their BIG ONE' fatalistically, knocking on wood.  Both her and my son's old digs burned completely; glad they had come down to the valley.  CalFire has been letting residents return for the last week or so.  Not much good news!  Getting an insurance settlement on your house/shop is not like selling it; you don't get compensated for the dirt it sat on!  Very tough times!

Wick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I understand legendary customizer and restorer Joe Cruces lost his entire collection at his place in Butte Creek canyon from the Camp Fire... hope this isn't so.  I would say it was a terrible loss, but compared to the almost 100 casualties that might be over-stating: still....  !!!

Wick Humble, Chico Ca