Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE BEST FORD 427 SOHC

Ace-Garageguy

Bill, I hope you don't mind me posting this but here is the new Moebius SOHC long block carefully assembled.  I'm attempting to strip the chrome from the valve covers but it's being stubborn.  I'll post photos once they are complete.

DSCN5952DSCN5954DSCN5956

• Like 1

5 hours ago, afx said:

Bill, I hope you don't mind me posting this but here is the new Moebius SOHC long block carefully assembled.  I'm attempting to strip the chrome from the valve covers but it's being stubborn.  I'll post photos once they are complete.

I don't mind at all, sir. These are also most helpful. The object is, after all, to try to come up with the best 1/25-1/24 scale SOHC Ford possible. The more info, the better.  :D

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't mind at all, sir. These are also most helpful. The object is, after all, to try to come up with the best 1/25-1/24 scale SOHC Ford possible. The more info, the better.  :D

I was betting you would see it that way.  I should be ready to post photos of the stripped valve covers this afternoon.

Cammers were never painted Ford Blue. That color came in 1966 and all the cammers were built prior to that color use. They were painted black and pictures of the crate engines concur with that. And yes, you could buy a either a single 4V or dual 4V version over the counter at your local Ford store. About $6000 if I recall correctly. I have the price sheet somewhere in my "files".

• Like 1

Drew's article also states that the engines pictured were "flat black". I build engines for a living, and have done quite a few Hi-Po 289s, 406s, and 427s, and a few Cammers for customer's restorations and racers. There is an engine color that Dupli-Color markets, and that I use, which is not a flat, rather, it is labled "Ford Semi-Gloss Black", and has a subtle sheen akin to black powder coating, and I believe it to be closer to a Concourse correct color and finish.

Pictured is a Cammer in a boat ( not my build ), however, it is closer to the factory sheen, ( hard to tell from the photo if it's gloss, or semi-gloss ), but it's not flat, and is just plain bitchin'. 

For a model, you could paint the block with heads flat black, then spray a light overcoat of gloss clear on it to replicate the "Semi-Gloss".  

cc346edd40d7e15a72368bb940c4142b--boat-engine-ski.jpg

Edited by spike morelli
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 5:17 PM, MeatMan said:

I bought the 3D engine for my pending AFX Mustang build.

I think its a nice engine, excellent fit and detail for the most part except the Ford logo on the valve covers. However I haven't painted them yet and they may show better with primer on them.

The surface is slightly rough, kind of like cast iron in scale. 

Here I glued on the front cover and heads.

3D MS Cammer 2.jpg

3D MS Cammer 3.jpg

Wonder if any of these 3D printed parts (intake manifolds, valve covers, headers) fit the Moebius block?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3d-model-specialties?section=427+Ford+SOHC&s=0

Edited by afx

With some effort the high rise manifold from the Revell T-bolt could be made to fit the Moebius block.  The T-Bolt engine is a 427 wedge but the port spacing looks close enough, at least for me it is.

DSCN5963Image result for 427 sohc intake manifold

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

Another Shapeways source for a 3D printed SOHC is TDR Innovations.  Their engine is available at this time with Hilborn Injection but there may be more options in the future.  Their valve covers are wide and not as tall as some others and include the Ford Oval and the 427 SOHC lettering.  They are not cheap but compared to sourcing from multiple kits may not be so far out of line. 

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrhtmllearn/home/engine-shop/ford-engine-selection/ford-427-sohc-hilborn-injection

sohc.jpg

Edited by David
Added photo from TDR Website

I did add a strip on the backside of the timing cover to close the gap and to create the flange that is vague on the kit part.  Also added a strip to the front edge of the intake manifold to close the gap.

DSCN5963

IMG_9251.JPG

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

Correct:

WP_20180316_018.jpg

The spark plug locations are incorrect, the square end of the cam covers are to the front of the engine to clear the timing chain.  The front plug on the left side would be into the timing chain.  The cam covers also appear too narrow to me and have no bulges to clear the exhaust valves.