Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE BEST FORD 427 SOHC

Ace-Garageguy

On 1/11/2019 at 4:44 PM, afx said:

Did some work on the Moebius valve covers:

• enlarged the spark plug notches
  • created the bolt notch in the end 

J.C., nice improvement on those valve covers. 

Could I ask what technique/tools did you use to enlarge those spark plug notches?

And thanx for sharing that image from the Holman Moody book, I'll have find a copy.

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

42 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

J.C., nice improvement on those valve covers. 

Could I ask what technique/tools did you use to enlarge those spark plug notches?

And thanx for sharing that image from the Holman Moody book, I'll have find a copy.

Thanks Kurt.  I used a ball bit turned in a pine vise to enlarge the notches.  I held the bit at angle starting with smaller size and working my way up to the size I wanted.

DSCN5985

• Like 1

2 hours ago, afx said:

I used a ball bit turned in a pine vise to enlarge the notches.  I held the bit at angle starting with smaller size and working my way up to the size I wanted.

Now that is ingenious, I was thinking something much more complicated like mounting them in a milling machine.

Another interesting photo.

?format=750w

Here’s a glamour shot of the complete Cammer from the Society of Automotive Engineers paper (SAE 650497) presented by Norm Faustyn and Joe Eastman, Ford’s two lead engineers on the project. All the published technical sources on the Cammer, including an in-depth feature in the January 1965 issue of Hot Rod Magazine, appear to be closely based on the SAE paper.

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/28/2019 at 11:00 AM, afx said:

I have been elbowing in on Ace-Garageguy's thread pretty much from the the beginning so I hope he won't mind me posting these mock-up pictures of the Moebius engine.

PLEASE add as much info as you have. The only object here is to help people decide which way to go to get a good engine.

And PLEASE post those shots you have of the Moebius engine completed.

Somewhat applicable here....   but here is the SOHC I built for my pinto gasser.   This is using the Tommy Grove funny car block and heads, then valve covers from the tarantula dragster.  

5cdb0b0f89e60_PhotoNov2174836PM.jpg.836bf46e52f14abc3ea163390169fa4e.jpgIMG_3131.JPG.a8a31666d3b1023abf9d9b9bf7ff6cbe.JPGIMG_3130-lo.jpg.9d1acbfbb79f8b22107107f0d8468cd9.jpg

The main tip/trick is the hemi style plug boots which are micro orings over the traditional plug boots...  makes a convincing effect. 

These little guys have so many uses..... Get a lifetime supply here (unless you drop the container as i have recently done... haha)

orings.jpg.995ebdab240eb489f5ebac97952d1170.jpg

https://www.banggood.com/Mini-Small-Rubber-Washer-O-Ring-Watch-Crown-Waterproof-Watches-Seals-p-72731.html?rmmds=buy&cur_warehouse=CN

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Impalow said:

Somewhat applicable here....   but here is the SOHC I built for my pinto gasser.  

Gorgeous engine! Do you have any more info on the distributor setup? Looks to be a cam-driven unit... I have a blown SOHC project and I'm anticipating clearance problems, trying to stuff a distributor in the stock location under the front of the blower.

58 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

... Do you have any more info on the distributor setup? Looks to be a cam-driven unit... I have a blown SOHC project and I'm anticipating clearance problems, trying to stuff a distributor in the stock location under the front of the blower.

There are several options to take an ignition drive off of the front chain cover. Here's one.

Image result for blown 427 cammer engine

Impalow's setup would appear to have an angle-drive for the ignition in place of the fuel-pump drive as shown above.

An angle-drive would normally bolt to one of the locations for accessory drives provided on the cover, like zo...

Image result for blown 427 cammer engine

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

23 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Gorgeous engine! Do you have any more info on the distributor setup? Looks to be a cam-driven unit... I have a blown SOHC project and I'm anticipating clearance problems, trying to stuff a distributor in the stock location under the front of the blower.

The distributor on most engines are cam-driven, the crank drives the camshaft through the timing chain or gears and the distributor and oil pump drives from a sprocket on the camshaft either at the front, rear or middle of the engine if the cam is inside the engine block as most V8's have, or at the end of the camshaft if it's a more modern OHC or DOHC engine.
In the Ford 427 SOHC case you can take out the distributor drive in a couple of places, the regular front position (for Ford) as there is a short cam blank with a distributor gear instead of a regular camshaft in the engine block to drive the distributor and oil pump, or you can take the distributor drive out somewhere on the timing transmission, either at the front of the regular timing chain sprocket or at the ends of the camshafts...as long as you get the right timing wich is half the RPM of the crank it doesn't matter where you take it out.

Edited by Force