Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE BEST FORD 427 SOHC

Ace-Garageguy

The T'rantula isn't the only showrod kit with a SOHC...I just started building AMT's Li'l Gasser fuel truck and it has one too.  Whether it's a GOOD one or not is up to interpretation - I don't have the same knowledge that a lot of you do but this thread has been very informative and interesting!

Pics of my in-progress AMT Li'l Gasser motor below...

2v2EhaLaGxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaLenxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaLZqxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaL6dxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaLkqxue8Lf.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A follow up to my post above, for all you SOHC experts...is that combined magneto/fuel pump in the bottom picture in any way accurate for this engine?  I couldn't find anything like it in my search of 1:1 parts...and whilst this is for a showrod build and doesn't NEED to be technically accurate, I'd like it to be anyway ?

Ps: sorry for the thread hijack - but this post was the first place I looked for my research!

Edited by CabDriver

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

...is that combined magneto/fuel pump in the bottom picture in any way accurate for this engine?  I couldn't find anything like it in my search of 1:1 parts...and whilst this is for a showrod build and doesn't NEED to be technically accurate, I'd like it to be anyway...

It's perfectly plausible. Ford's engineers, in their wisdom, provided multiple points on the timing chain cover for various accessory takeoff drives.

Combo mag/fuel pump drives are common where space is at a premium. The 1:1 rig in the photo below is essentially what's represented in your particular kit, and could definitely be mounted at the location shown with a few readily machined parts.

image.png.4daab60e4fb89fb39dd3dbd3a96e6d66.png

Here's a similar combo right-angle mag drive/fuel pump drive with an old-school Vertex-style mag, mounted more conventionally on a pushrod-engine timing cover. In this case, it would be driven off the end of the cam...but it could definitely be mounted as your kit shows it on the Ford cammer as well

image.png.e54c71720328c05a1fd69425c0a40234.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

So Bill, revisiting this (incredibly useful) topic as I start work on another one of these engines...how do you rate the 3D printed version that you picked up compared to the kitbashed version you were working on?

I can’t decide between doing a kitbash as you’ve done or just getting the version from Shapeways - I’d be really interested to hear your opinion!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

@Ace-Garageguy have you gotten one of these yet? I have some of their other products and they're pretty great. But since you've done the workup on dimensions and everything I'm looking forward to your thoughts on if this is now the definitive best 427 Cammer available?

https://tx3dcustoms.com/products/ford-427-sohc-hilborn-injected

image.png.b5833e2618f3e84b12947f42a154ae3e.png

• Thanks 2

On 1/6/2019 at 12:33 AM, alan barton said:

And for those of you who would rather be injected than blown, here's some photos I took last year  at the brilliant, totally amazing, unbelievable Speedway Motors American Museum of Speed in Lincoln Nebraska. 

If you are on this forum , you NEED to visit this museum.  I have been fortunate to visit about 35 or so car museums in North America and this one is in a category all of its own - words cannot describe either the depth or quality of the items on display.  Trust me, just go.  If the wife insists on going, drop her off at the International Patchwork Quilting Museum at the university but tell her you WILL be gone for several days.  Fortunately, my wife, a very skilled and passionate quilter, actually preferred the car museum and took over 1500 photos for me on our first visit in 2010!

IMG_9251.JPG

IMG_9252.JPG

IMG_9253.JPG

The Revell pickup that was originally released as the Moving Violation kit has an injected SOHC Ford in it as the kit engine. And if you want a 427 Ford engine without the chrome or even the shiny clear bond coat that hides a lot of the detail Atlantis now has that in their lineup, also that's the engine that the Thunderbolt engine is based on.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:02 AM, afx said:

No "Ford SOHC" logo in this period photo either and an interesting intake system.  Is that (4) Webers mounted perpendicular? 

Image result for ford sohc drag racing engine

I'm thinking it looks like two of the inline four barrel carbs that Ford used on the Trans Am Boss 302 engines. I think they are Autolites but were Weber or Delorto copies.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, spike morelli said:

O.K., possibly a bit off-topic, but I thought some of you might like to see what's under the front cover. The last one of these I did for a customer was an all-aluminum aftermarket block and heads. The lower timing chain set was replaced with a gear drive, but the cam drive is chain , as was the factory set-up. Ford did quite a job of engineering, considering they designed it in 90 days. Awesome then, still awesome today.

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

Didn't Pete Jackson make a complete gear drive for these that he ran in a AA/FD?

On 1/10/2019 at 8:30 PM, spike morelli said:

I haven't taken many photos of Cammers I've been fortunate enough to work on, but the first 3 photos here are my work. I've included 3 other photos of carbureted, injected, and blown/injected versions taken off the internet for reference.

Now, I was told by one of the engine's owners that the finned cam covers were all magnesium, originally from Ford. Most Cammers you see today have the aftermarket replacement aluminum cam covers ( rocker covers )installed. It makes no difference to me, as an engine builder, but seeing as this is a modeling site, for authenticities sakes, if a person wasn't modeling the polished look, painting the cam covers to replicate magnesium might be a more "from the Factory" look. Note that Ford installed the Holley carbs with the primaries to the rear ( same for wedge 427 8v factory set ups), and note the cannister style fuel filter mounted to the front center of the engine on the chain cover, on the carbed vershion, which came either black painted, or chromed.

Now, you might get the impression that I'm a "Ford guy" True, but not completely accurate. Besides building engines for a living, I'm a hot boat guy, and have one boat with a Nascar 406 Ford for power, another with an injected/blown 392 Chrysler Hemi on gas, and yet a third boat powered by two 327 Chevys, "freight trained" inline and Hilborn injected on nitro/methanol. I like them all. 

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

1969-Ford-mustang-SOHC-engine-bay.jpg

afx2-vi.jpg

Snake's Cammer.jpg

Those are beautiful pieces of engineering but with those rods they're definitely not the ones submitted for NASCAR use, also the NASCAR engines didn't have roller cams as they weren't allowed. In fact when Bobby Allison won the race in California in one of the Penske Matadors they were caught running a roller cam and claimed they didn't know that they were not allowed. But somehow I don't see Penske Racing not knowing every little clause in the rule book.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not much real point following up on this now that the gorgeous 3D printed ones are available, but I probably will just because I kinda hate to waste effort.

And I'll probably finish it as a version that's not yet available printed...maybe the Weber-carbed engine above.   B)