Model Cars Magazine Forum
Ace-Garageguy

THE BEST FORD 427 SOHC

The T'rantula isn't the only showrod kit with a SOHC...I just started building AMT's Li'l Gasser fuel truck and it has one too.  Whether it's a GOOD one or not is up to interpretation - I don't have the same knowledge that a lot of you do but this thread has been very informative and interesting!

Pics of my in-progress AMT Li'l Gasser motor below...

2v2EhaLaGxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaLenxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaLZqxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaL6dxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EhaLkqxue8Lf.jpg

Posted (edited)

A follow up to my post above, for all you SOHC experts...is that combined magneto/fuel pump in the bottom picture in any way accurate for this engine?  I couldn't find anything like it in my search of 1:1 parts...and whilst this is for a showrod build and doesn't NEED to be technically accurate, I'd like it to be anyway 😂

Ps: sorry for the thread hijack - but this post was the first place I looked for my research!

Edited by CabDriver

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

...is that combined magneto/fuel pump in the bottom picture in any way accurate for this engine?  I couldn't find anything like it in my search of 1:1 parts...and whilst this is for a showrod build and doesn't NEED to be technically accurate, I'd like it to be anyway...

It's perfectly plausible. Ford's engineers, in their wisdom, provided multiple points on the timing chain cover for various accessory takeoff drives.

Combo mag/fuel pump drives are common where space is at a premium. The 1:1 rig in the photo below is essentially what's represented in your particular kit, and could definitely be mounted at the location shown with a few readily machined parts.

image.png.4daab60e4fb89fb39dd3dbd3a96e6d66.png

Here's a similar combo right-angle mag drive/fuel pump drive with an old-school Vertex-style mag, mounted more conventionally on a pushrod-engine timing cover. In this case, it would be driven off the end of the cam...but it could definitely be mounted as your kit shows it on the Ford cammer as well

image.png.e54c71720328c05a1fd69425c0a40234.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thank you so much Bill!  I was almost certain that you’d know!  Appreciate the informative response - I learned a thing!