Model Cars Magazine Forum

My built kits

aurfalien

Hi Brian, many miles away, here in Germany, people are shocked by the awful pictures we keep seeing on the news. My thoughts and best wishes are with you. If there is anything I can do to help you get set up again, get kits or tools from within Europe or else, let me know...

4 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi Brian, many miles away, here in Germany, people are shocked by the awful pictures we keep seeing on the news. My thoughts and best wishes are with you. If there is anything I can do to help you get set up again, get kits or tools from within Europe or else, let me know...

Hi Thomas and thank you for your kind words.

Did you like any of my builds :)

I've had some amazing and incredible tools from Germany.  Do you have a source of German toolers that I can peruse?

10 hours ago, Flatout said:

Sorry to hear/see the devastation you are dealing with, the picture of your house is heart wrenching.  Wishing You and Yours the best of luck in moving forward! 

All your models are cleanly built and nicely detailed.  The 356 Porsche Dragster and the Chaparral are my favorites.  The 356 is cool and very different....and I love any sort of American Road Racer.  

Hi Pete and thank you for your kind words.  Finally some one likes the 356 :)  I happen to have my other in progress memorial chappy at work will hopefully get posted in a month or so.

And being Cali, there are no shortages of used cheap surf boards in good shape so I should be able to replenish my quiver w/o much difficulty.  During the fires, surf was firing and the water temps were in there mid 70's.

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Wow, I can't even imagine. As horrible as it is though, your stuff can be replaced. You and your family cannot. 

Looking forward to seeing some new builds once you get the important things back in order. 

:)

Oh, and the 959/961 is my fav of the bunch.

Hi and thank you Dan.  The 959 was my last build and feel that I'm progressing.  The Alclad Pale Burnt Metal turned out pretty nice.  I'm hoping to start building and gonna start using some Micheals coupons for supplies.  Too bad they don't carry Tamiya warez.  I think Tamiya has a lot of wonderful tools, building materials etc...

12 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I'm so sorry to see this, Brian - hope the holidays will give you some respite. You don't mention unbuilt kits - did you have any stored elsewhere?

Hi Christopher and than you for your kind words.  I was able to save some unbuilt kits as I had a good sized box at work.  I was showing them off to a colleague and so the timing happen to work. out.

13 hours ago, BKF said:

Brian I'm really sorry to see that happened to your place. I can't even imagine how horrible it is for everyone who is having to deal with these fires.

All of your builds look great but I think I like the Porsche 959 the best.

Hi Brian and thank you.

The 959 had a lot of cool after market fromage on it.  The wheels/tires were from ScaleProduction.

I am really sorry to hear about the loss due to the fire. I know all to well this issue. This last summer we had a fire go through our property. Destroyed 10 of the 15 acres but the fire fighter did a great job and saved the house and cars. So, my land looks like burned lunar landscape, but the house survived. Shortly before that we were robbed and half of my models were stolen along with many thousands of dollars of other stuff including antiques. But as they say, stuff can be replaced.

I enjoyed looking at your model collection. I love the Dino.

Let us know if we an help in any way

Brian,  very sorry that you lost your house and all the model, they all looked great. I guess the loss of tools and supplies hurts a lot too. The good news is that you are here with us, for that I am thankful. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to a "normal" life.

As far as Tamiya items go, they are great to deal with online, and do not charge any premiums. A great source that I shop with often for paints mainly. They lock up paints here in Arizona to keep taggers from getting them. Not working!

Hang in there man and I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

19 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Hi Thomas and thank you for your kind words.

Did you like any of my builds :)

I've had some amazing and incredible tools from Germany.  Do you have a source of German toolers that I can peruse?

Hi Brian, I sure like your kits! I've always been wondering how to turn that awful Tamiya Porsche 961 into something nice - you did it!

The best would be to let me know which tools exactly you are looking for. I bought all my tools through regular webshops, most of them basically selling the same stuff that's available throughout the world (Tamiya etc.). Here's a shop though selling some stuff apart from the mainstream. One good example being the JLC saw...

https://www.rai-ro.de/instrumente-werkzeuge-c-21.html?osCsid=9dca0c835cea4bc5d8674c9d41be36ad

Any questions or comments, I suggest you send me a PM!

12 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I am really sorry to hear about the loss due to the fire. I know all to well this issue. This last summer we had a fire go through our property. Destroyed 10 of the 15 acres but the fire fighter did a great job and saved the house and cars. So, my land looks like burned lunar landscape, but the house survived. Shortly before that we were robbed and half of my models were stolen along with many thousands of dollars of other stuff including antiques. But as they say, stuff can be replaced.

I enjoyed looking at your model collection. I love the Dino.

Let us know if we an help in any way

Hello Scott and thank you for your kind words and offer.  I'm hoping to build a full detail version of that Dino 206 Competizione.  It's such a wonderful car and I think the Fujimi kit is a nice base, not to mention the only 206 option for us :)

And thank you for sharing your story.

Edited by aurfalien

12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Brian, so sorry for the loss of your home and possessions!  Up until now, the fires were just a news item to most of us.  Now you have put a face to it.  Let us know if you need anything.  And please keep the board informed of your status.

Hi Tom and thank you.  I'm actually on the other side of the country right now and doing fine.  I should be able to post my current project soon.

10 hours ago, Bill J said:

Brian,  very sorry that you lost your house and all the model, they all looked great. I guess the loss of tools and supplies hurts a lot too. The good news is that you are here with us, for that I am thankful. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to a "normal" life.

As far as Tamiya items go, they are great to deal with online, and do not charge any premiums. A great source that I shop with often for paints mainly. They lock up paints here in Arizona to keep taggers from getting them. Not working!

Hang in there man and I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.

Hi Bill and thank you very much.  I'm taking care of the rather hectic honey do list as we speak and to be honest, we can't wait until Friday :)

Tomorrow will be a day meant for plenty of Slivovitza if you catch my drift.  And if I may recommend one, the Manastirka brand is the only way to go.  The nice thing about Slivovitza is that it can double as a paint stripper and degreaser all in one.

Edited by aurfalien

8 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Gorgeous models,  so sorry you lost them,  but I am sue thou lost a great deal more. 

Hello mark and thank you.  I was really hard on myself about those kits I built and thought that I did a mediocre job.  Looking back however, I did a pretty job job after all and looking forward becoming better.

1 hour ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi Brian, I sure like your kits! I've always been wondering how to turn that awful Tamiya Porsche 961 into something nice - you did it!

LOL Exactly that. I had that Tamiya 959 as a kid and even then I was disappointed with it. If I remember correctly it was a curbside, and a very light one at that. 

20 minutes ago, Ich_Will said:

I had that Tamiya 959 as a kid and even then I was disappointed with it. If I remember correctly it was a curbside, and a very light one at that. 

Will, better don't mix those two up... The 959 (road car) is a nice, fully detailed Tamiya kit. The 961 that Brian built (LeMans race version of the 959) is a rather awful kit originally designed by Tamiya to be an RC car (under the "Tamtech" brand). Just like those terrible Tamiya 962's... it has molded-in glass parts (!) and it has decals for headlights... https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10144974

I really like the original 961, but to this day I have not figured out how to make a proper model out of this kit... (well, actually I did, but that would take "butchering" a 959 kit...).

Edited by Tommy124

38 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

Will, better don't mix those two up... The 959 (road car) is a nice, fully detailed Tamiya kit. The 961 that Brian built (LeMans race version of the 959) is a rather awful kit originally designed by Tamiya to be an RC car (under the "Tamtech" brand). Just like those terrible Tamiya 962's... it has molded-in glass parts (!) and it has decals for headlights... https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10144974

I really like the original 961, but to this day I have not figured out how to make a proper model out of this kit... (well, actually I did, but that would take "butchering" a 959 kit...).

OOOOhhhh... now that you say it... it wasn't the Tamiya. I had the Testors 959.  It was a few years ago (1984?)  

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

Very fine work. Very sorry for your loss.

I like the Howmet. It speaks to me.

Hi and thank you.  I miss that Howmet and if i were to do it all over again, I'd stay with the black and white scheme but get a better engine for it.  Perhaps something from a jet plane model kit.

My heart goes out to you and your family Brian. Along with all the other families who have lost everything because of these fires. It's hard to imagine. Hoping you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I like the Opel. 

Edited by ewetwo

34 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

My heart goes out to you and your family Brian. Along with all the other families who have lost everything because of these fires. It's hard to imagine. Hoping you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I like the Opel. 

Hi David and thank you for the kind words.  Indeed I'll be ok, some of my friends lost way way more.  I've some horrible stories.

OMG, finally some one likes the Opel :)