Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cartoon Gasser Series - how many were there?

TimKustom

Those six were it.  The Studebaker was a "Bonneville gasser", no slicks were included but you still got the dragstrip starting line display base. 

There are two versions of the Willys kit: early ones contain the double kit with the custom '32 Ford sedan, later ones include only the Willys but include both coupe and pickup versions.  Same stock number.  The box art shows only the Willys coupe.  A sealed box kit won't give you any clues as to which version will be inside, though the double kit would be a bit heavier than the coupe/pickup version...

• 4 weeks later...

That box art. :wub:  Round2 must have a good reason for never releasing at least one of these kits in the Original Art series with the cartoon box art. Maybe for the next go 'round for one of them, as they've all been reissued at least once by Round2. -_-

6c2848c0-62b7-4065-ab1b-f90b004283e2.jpg

amt53stude.jpg

37-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 9:41 AM, Mark said:

Those six were it.  The Studebaker was a "Bonneville gasser", no slicks were included but you still got the dragstrip starting line display base. 

There are two versions of the Willys kit: early ones contain the double kit with the custom '32 Ford sedan, later ones include only the Willys but include both coupe and pickup versions.  Same stock number.  The box art shows only the Willys coupe.  A sealed box kit won't give you any clues as to which version will be inside, though the double kit would be a bit heavier than the coupe/pickup version...

We sure about this or am I just unlucky?

2 hours ago, milo1303s said:

We sure about this or am I just unlucky?

Do you mean the double kit as opposed to the Willys coupe/pickup?  I've seen both, in person and on eBay, and have saved auction pics of the double kit.  The one I have is the coupe/pickup.  I would say the vast majority of them are the coupe/pickup.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Do you mean the double kit as opposed to the Willys coupe/pickup?  I've seen both, in person and on eBay, and have saved auction pics of the double kit.

While it's probably not possible to determine of the parts are truly from the pictures box unless you unsealed the box yourself, this one appears to fit the bill:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-AMT-WILLYS-GASSER-CARTOON-BOX-ISSUE-/283241813858?hash=item41f2871762%3Ag%3AnOAAAOSwHntbjG9V&nma=true&si=RRtebrQbZgwM17O%2BHu%2BGhws5VAI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l500.jpg

Was the price extension changed between the two issues/boxes, maybe, Mark?

No, I believe both versions retailed for $2.00.  The $2.25 pricing was phased in during 1970, with existing kits remaining at $2.  By the time the 1971 catalog came out, I'm 99% certain all of the kits in this series were discontinued or repackaged.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, Mark said:

No, I believe both versions retailed for $2.00.  The $2.25 pricing was phased in during 1970, with existing kits remaining at $2.  By the time the 1971 catalog came out, I'm 99% certain all of the kits in this series were discontinued or repackaged.

The 2.25 price date is what I remember too. I have the psychodelic 1958 Impala with $2.00, $2.25 and no price shown. The folding boxes are another tip. Stiff unfoldable boxes ended in 1970.I liked the foldable boxes. Saved them and crushed the others.

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, TimKustom said:

I've found images of the 57 Chevy, 56 Ford, 40 Willys, 37 Chevy, and 36 Ford.

Were there any others?

Example of the 37 Chevy box art.

s-l1600.jpg

Do you have a pic of the '36 Ford gasser box artwork? Have found all the others for my collection. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...