Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya paint stands...

So, yesterday I'm working on laying down the first color coats on the lindberg Dodge 330, for the "Bring out your dead" group build....

3rd and final coat goes on smooth as butter and then poof the top of my brand new Tamiya paint stand falls off sending the body roof down into the floor!

You all can imagine the scene I'm sure...

The wife is at work, the dogs are asleep and it's been dead silent except the mild hum of my compressor for nearly 3hrs.... NIRVANA!!  And then Murphy barges in and wrecks it.

Anyone ever had this happen? I'm about to go back to pipe nipples...

I feel your pain, I was painting outside last Summer, finish was very nice. set it on the shelf to dry & gas off, at that exact moment a gust of wind comes along & my car take flight with a non-gracefull landing in the freshly mowed lawn, roof first of course.....:blink:....purple ponded, redone 24 hrs. later.

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but this is a common problem/complaint.  There have been various homemade fixes, you will nees to find what is best for you.  Personally, I just leave the base separate from the top.  Sorry to read about your bad luck.:(

1 hour ago, thatz4u said:

I feel your pain, I was painting outside last Summer, finish was very nice. set it on the shelf to dry & gas off, at that exact moment a gust of wind comes along & my car take flight with a non-gracefull landing in the freshly mowed lawn, roof first of course.....:blink:....purple ponded, redone 24 hrs. later.

Yea, fortunately I was spraying Vallejo Black so I just washed it off with soap and water and resprayed, but man... any other time I would have been spraying enamels and I'm no fan of brake fluid...

I think I'm going to glue it on. Seems like an oversight on Tamiyas part... or god forbid a "feature"

Edited by ScaleAsylum

That sucks man. Happens on both of mine as well. And it's always at the worst time. This issue came up last year too

and as stated above, glue em together. I put some CA on mine jammed em together and no more issues. I even dunk them in my CSC bath now and then to clean some of the paint off and they're still together. 

That's happened to me a couple of times so far, including my very first paint job with it. I don't want to permanently keep the top and bottom together though, as I actually have taken the top off for painting to get a better angle on the bottom and underneath the car. I then just push the top back onto the bottom part. I've just learned to push down on the stand before painting a body. Luckily my paint jobs were not ruined by having the top fall of even though they of course landed on their roofs.

That should work.  I thought there might not be enough space to get a socket in far enough from the top.  That is why I went with a stovebolt so I could use a screwdriver from the top.  Try it.  You'll be out about a dollar if it doesn't work.  I had the stuff in the junk jar to use what I did.

I've had to tape my Tamiya stands as I had an unpleasant surprise a couple years ago when I was painting my '59 Chevy. As others have mentioned, I had the base separate from the clamp and I was just able to catch it before things came crashing down. :o

Mike that is a good idea about screwing things together. Don't think that'll come apart any longer!

Same thing happened with my Tamiya airbrush holder. If you're not careful, the base can separate from that too so I keep tape at the ready.

I've often thought about buying one of these stands. 

Currently, I use an old spray car. I put some double sided tape on top, and slap a car body on top. Doesn't move, doesn't fall off, and I can pick it up and manipulate it to ensure coverage, especially on the rockers and underside of bumpers and stuff. I use it in conjunction with an Ikea Lazy Susan.

It looks hobbled together, but it works.

39 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I've often thought about buying one of these stands. 

Currently, I use an old spray car. I put some double sided tape on top, and slap a car body on top. Doesn't move, doesn't fall off, and I can pick it up and manipulate it to ensure coverage, especially on the rockers and underside of bumpers and stuff. I use it in conjunction with an Ikea Lazy Susan.

It looks hobbled together, but it works.

I use plastic water bottles too (with some water in them for weight) and blue tack on the top,. Works well too and its skinny enough to be able to turn the bottle on its side to get at the bottom of the rockers and into the wheelwells. Also good for attaching hoods to for painting and clear especially if the middle is done in matte black padding like a lot of near cars have.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, mrmike said:

When I had the tops come off my paint stands, I grabbed my drill and drilled a couple of holes for two self tapping screws in the tops and the bases.

DSCN1716.JPG

DSCN1720.JPG

Be sure to use a short self-taping screw so the turnstile in the center can still turn freely.  You just want the top and the lower section to be joined together. 

I use a 120 count Eclipse gum bottle. A 1/25/24 body stretches over it well, put a couple stones inside but not water (water will leak out the flip section of the top if you lean the bottle too much)...  My wife has a cake decorating turn table I can use but usually don't bother.

On another note, the nice thing about switching now to mostly acrylics and craft paints is if I do get a flub up or boo boo, I just go to the kitchen sink run warm water and had rub the finish down the drain. And 24 hour old dried Stynylrez primer doesn't go with it. So I'm back to a primed body that just needs a shot from a hair dryer to paint it over again.