Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Pontiac Grand Am

20 hours ago, george 53 said:

Tommy, check with Ron Andrews of RNR resins. I got one off him recently.

Thanks.

Already have couple of times,said to get back to me with me pictures but never does.

I think hes busy with getting new shop and website up and going.

Might be an earlier lead photo as I think both the GTO and the Grand Am were slated for it but I don't believe they offered it once the fall of 1972 ordering started.  I may not be correct on that and wondering if someone who is knowledgeable could pipe in.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, drodg said:

Might be an earlier lead photo as I think both the GTO and the Grand Am were slated for it but I don't believe they offered it once the fall of 1972 ordering started.  I may not be correct on that and wondering if someone who is knowledgeable could pipe in.  

I had a 1973 GTO that came with the 400-4V engine. The SD option was not listed on the available order sheet at the time of ordering. I understand it was an emissions issue that it was withdrawn for. I got the car at 3 years old and kept her for 30 years to the day. Knew the original owner well. He WANTED the SD, but it was not available. STILL wish I had kept that old girl, but life interferes..............!

we too had many cool nice Pontiacs in the family once id love to be able to make replicas of....

74 GTO

67,68,70,71,72 Grand Prixs

59,64,66,68,69,70,72 Bonneville/Safari wagons

58,63,64,68,69,70 Bonneville HTs

75 TA

70 Lemans wagon with factory GTO style nose

63 Tempest

73 Grand Am

76 Can Am

Some of them I have but they need a lot of parts in order to do anything with them sadly.

Edited by disabled modeler

On 11/29/2018 at 11:44 AM, drodg said:

Was supposed to be an option, but shortage of blocks limited production. So option was dropped from Grand Am at the last minute. Even the Firebirds were delayed and hard to get, that's why they're so rare.

BTW - Motor Trend or one of the car magazines at the time named the SD 455 Grand Am the "Car of the Year". A car that doesn't even exist!

Aaaah! I thought this was one of THE COOLEST cars when this came out! As a seventh grader I can still remember trying to draw pictures of the car while I was in class. Didn't always go over too well with the teacher! :P

The resin looks pretty good, but for me personally I'd have to do this car in plastic. There's so much I'd like to do with it that resin pretty much prohibits.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:39 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Was supposed to be an option, but shortage of blocks limited production. So option was dropped from Grand Am at the last minute. Even the Firebirds were delayed and hard to get, that's why they're so rare.

BTW - Motor Trend or one of the car magazines at the time named the SD 455 Grand Am the "Car of the Year". A car that doesn't even exist!

That Car Of the Year award for the phantom '73 GTO SD-455 was bestowed by High Performance CARS :

high-performance-CARS-1973-GTO.thumb.jpg.58755b715de042824cfcfc2e928e7aeb.jpg

15 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

That Car Of the Year award for the phantom '73 GTO SD-455 was bestowed by High Performance CARS :

high-performance-CARS-1973-GTO.thumb.jpg.58755b715de042824cfcfc2e928e7aeb.jpg

I bought this magazine at the local drug store on the way home from school.  I was interested in the 442 road test, and still have the magazine.  It would be nice to see the '73 GTO, Grand Am, 442, Cutlass Supreme and GS as complete kits.