Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Greased Lightning '48 Ford 'Vert

stavanzer

The Red Car was the one I was hoping for when the "Greased Lightning" was first announced. Sadly, all we got was 6 new pieces for the venerable '48 Vert, and Revell did not even give us the period Hop Up parts from the Chopped Coupe. Kinda lame, really, if you think about it.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Sadly the lack of sales from this might lead Revell to believe that there isn't a market for this kit. The real problem is the content or lack there of. 

Who says it isn't selling good?

The last time the Convertible was reissued was in 2007, so it's been awhile since this kit was regularly on retail (read Hobby Lobby) shelves. 

Really no one here should be surprised at the contents, the Grease pieces and the factory stock building option were known back at the beginning of the year prior to Hobbico even declaring bankruptcy.

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Who says it isn't selling good?

The last time the Convertible was reissued was in 2007, so it's been awhile since this kit was regularly on retail (read Hobby Lobby) shelves. 

Really no one here should be surprised at the contents, the Grease pieces and the factory stock building option were known back at the beginning of the year prior to Hobbico even declaring bankruptcy.

My thought on this reissue is that it would be better marketing to offer all or some of the features from previous issues. I agree this is a great kit and I have bought several in the past, I just will not be buy this issue based on the lack of options. I may not be the only one that is looking at this in the same way, or maybe I'm the only one. Should Revell reissue this model with more options I would buy some of them.  

Well, to be honest, I bought it for the Grease tie in! Yes, I like Hollywood related kits and this is a more realistic addition than the earlier Grease 2 tie in kits that made no real sense. 

This will be a shelf model and speed parts are irrelevant for that. Kitbash it you really want those parts. 

7 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, to be honest, I bought it for the Grease tie in! Yes, I like Hollywood related kits and this is a more realistic addition than the earlier Grease 2 tie in kits that made no real sense. 

This will be a shelf model and speed parts are irrelevant for that. Kitbash it you really want those parts. 

Same here.  I bought it as soon as one showed up locally.  I look forward to building it. :)

11 hours ago, espo said:

Sadly the lack of sales from this might lead Revell to believe that there isn't a market for this kit. The real problem is the content or lack there of. 

Lack of sales?
It hasn't even reached all the stores yet!

54 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

I probably won't buy this issue since I have a 48 coupe, 48 Woody, 48 Custom coupe, and an original Pro Shop built convertible kit that turned out great, and most of all because I HATED the movie, and don't  want anything associated with it.

I'm not a fan of the movie either, but the really nice chrome reversed wheels and some uber nice white wall tires are worth the price of admission by themselves. Plus you get the stock 48.

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I'm not a fan of the movie either, but the really nice chrome reversed wheels and some uber nice white wall tires are worth the price of admission by themselves. Plus you get the stock 48.

Are the stock wheels and tires included in the kit as well or just the chrome reverse wheels and wide white tires?

28 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

Are the stock wheels and tires included in the kit as well or just the chrome reverse wheels and wide white tires?

There is a video at the beginning of this thread that shows you all the parts. And no, I am not going to tell you, so go watch the video! 

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Yeah, those wheels/tires do look nice, but I have boxes of just wheels and tires, and with all the other cool kits coming out, I can't see buying a kit that I don't want.

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

There is a video at the beginning of this thread that shows you all the parts. And no, I am not going to tell you, so go watch the video! 

Can't. I'm on limited data on my phone right now because I'm out in the boonies. We've just bought a new (old) house and we don't have any kind of internet or Wi-Fi at the house set up yet. We are working on getting our barn up and running before any of that happens. I haven't even watched a television program since the middle of July. Too busy to even get the DVR out of the box it's packed in.

As far as on my phone, videos eat up my data really fast. It's bad enough with the pictures on the site. Sorry man but videos are no bueno unless I'm on Wi-Fi which only happens once every week or week and a half when I get to town. I was really happy being patient waiting and hoping for someone to post a picture of the wheels and tires. That eventually happened so maybe somebody will eventually post pictures of the rest of the contents of the kit. Or or the very least let those of us who can't watch the video know what's in the box.

Here is everything in the box... the cool thing about this kit is yes it does have two complete sets of wheels and tires... If you're not into wide whites and chrome reverse steelies then use the stock wheels or kit bash the thing. If you guys are like me you have plenty of kits to rob from anyway. 

I have a 57 Chevy that I plan on robbing the wheels and tires from this kit for. I have no complaints with it. I'll be building the orginal version when Kenickie first brings it to the shop anyway so I don't need to waste those beautiful custom wheels on a beater build...

Screenshot_20181126-082813.png

20181126_080658.jpg

Screenshot_20181126-080954.jpg

10 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Can't. I'm on limited data on my phone right now because I'm out in the boonies. We've just bought a new (old) house and we don't have any kind of internet or Wi-Fi at the house set up yet. We are working on getting our barn up and running before any of that happens. I haven't even watched a television program since the middle of July. Too busy to even get the DVR out of the box it's packed in.

As far as on my phone, videos eat up my data really fast. It's bad enough with the pictures on the site. Sorry man but videos are no bueno unless I'm on Wi-Fi which only happens once every week or week and a half when I get to town. I was really happy being patient waiting and hoping for someone to post a picture of the wheels and tires. That eventually happened so maybe somebody will eventually post pictures of the rest of the contents of the kit. Or or the very least let those of us who can't watch the video know what's in the box.

Well, who knew! 

I was mostly just busting your chops on it, If I would have known I would have just posted images like Anthony did. Thanks, Tony! 

6 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Here is everything in the box... the cool thing about this kit is yes it does have two complete sets of wheels and tires... 

Thanks a bunch. Those wheels and tires look great. I've already got a couple of projects I could use those on.

5 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Both. You can build it stock and use the chromies and extra tires for something else.

Awesome, thanks man.

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, who knew! 

I was mostly just busting your chops on it, If I would have known I would have just posted images like Anthony did. Thanks, Tony! 

No worries, hope my answer didn't come across as sarcastic or rude because it wasn't intended that way at all. And my patience was rewarded, Anthony posted pictures of it.