Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Greased Lightning '48 Ford 'Vert

stavanzer

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Dave Darby said:

Sadly, yes it did. Thank God Revell didn't do the "finished" version.

greased-lightning_100351700_m.jpg

Nothing quite says "FIFTIES !"  like a set of raised white letter tyres ! 

Horrible film that's rife with historically-inaccurate nuances and visual horrors .

59 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Nothing quite says "FIFTIES !"  like a set of raised white letter tyres ! 

Horrible film that's rife with historically-inaccurate nuances and visual horrors .

How many "Car Movies" get it right though?  None that I can think of... Inaccurate and inconsistent, but they sure make alot of money which means only one thing the Car related stuff doesn't mean that much to movie goers.

4 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

So, will there be a modified re-issue coming soon for a bookend?

main-qimg-74791c29931639aa4eff66975cb1182b-c

Image result for revell mercury custom

One can hope...that would breathe new life into that tool, whether someone wanted to replicate the movie car or just build an alternate Merc.

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

How many "Car Movies" get it right though?  None that I can think of... Inaccurate and inconsistent, but they sure make alot of money which means only one thing the Car related stuff doesn't mean that much to movie goers.

I don't really think you can consider it a "Car Movie". I think "Grease" referred to Travolta's hair.

Say what you want about the car, the movie, the musical, but when it came out forty years ago, I was ten and I thought this car was the bee's knees, and I still do. This will be the first kit in a dogs age that I will build right from the box and be happy as heck with it.

Related image

I use the term "Car movie" loosely due to the fact that the (Film) has automotive related content that is not accurately used in a Motion picture such as this Movie, Musical, film or whatever the correct terminology is. Imdb (internet movie database) has it listed on their site. It claims that it is a full length feature Film that was adapted from the original 1971 musical of the same name.  Whatever you call it, it still made 395 million at the box office and I call that a successful smash hit...?

On 11/25/2018 at 12:34 AM, Pat Minarick said:

Is the custom grill a 48 Mercury grill?

On 11/25/2018 at 1:14 PM, gasman said:

Is the grill in the kit supposed to replicate something or is it just a custom?

The grill (to me) looks like a modified 42 Ford grill

download (20).jpg

14 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

"Grease" is a documentary about how life was really like in the 50's!  :lol:

Related image

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I laughed so hard that my cat hissed at me !!!!!! 

The best L.A. River movie scene has got to be the one in Repo Man (which I cannot post in this forum due its [hilarious] language via a line from Harry Dean Stanton [R.I.P.] ).

But , yeah ... that and incorrect-period Converse All*Stars are so sickly fifties ! 

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I laughed so hard that my cat hissed at me !!!!!! 

The best L.A. River movie scene has got to be the one in Repo Man (which I cannot post in this forum due its [hilarious] language via a line from Harry Dean Stanton [R.I.P.] ).

That's a good one..a couple LA River chase scenes that are favorites of mine are in To Live and Die in LA and in Terminator 2.  

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

But , yeah ... that and incorrect-period Converse All*Stars are so sickly fifties ! 

Did you ever see the scene from Top Gear when the Orangutan left his "mark" ??   

Ah yes, the good old day, before the meddling government decided we couldn't have rotating blades on our hubcaps anymore.

Going back to the '49 Merc convertible idea for a moment, it would also allow another movie tie-in.

1949-Batman-and-Robin.jpg

From the 1949 movie serial Batman and Robin, where a '49 Merc served as the Batmobile.

I have had similar thoughts about "movie "cars not being up to par. By-and-large, the Deuce coupe in American Grafitti seemed fairly on the mark....but the dragster from More AG that Milner drove was way improperly incorrect for Dec of '65. Then, I watch Gone In Sixty Seconds ( the original movie ) and wonder why the film maker didn't dress up the movie car to emulate the Mach 1, or Boss 351 ( '71 only ), instead of a garden variety sportsroof. I mean, if your clientel is going to pay you to steal a Mustang, why wouldn't the mark be for the top of the breed?  The studios did it again in the remake with Nicholas Cage, using an over-customized fastback ( my opinion ), instead of a valuable top-of-the-line '67 Shelby. Heck, even Maxwell Smart eventually drove a Sunbeam Tiger, and Keanu Reeves character as John Wick drove a Cowl Induction Chevelle and a Mach 1.  I kinda dig the Plymouth Fury used in "Christine", the engine shot used in the movie shows a 392 style powerplant, which didn't come in those cars, but I suppose is more sinister .

Likely, in the late "fifties", a kid couldn't afford a new '57 Chevy, and would have an older model whatever to drive. I think the '48 Ford used in Grease fits o.k., but scallops would be more realistic to the era, instead of those garish lightning bolts painted on it. I do understand it's just Hollywood, but there are people who get the clothing correct, the script correct, the locations correct......I guess there aren't as many real "car people" working these movies as could be. Well there I go....trying to find reality that's not there in Hollywood.

25 minutes ago, spike morelli said:

Then, I watch Gone In Sixty Seconds ( the original  movie [ 1974  ] ) and wonder why the film maker didn't dress up the movie car to emulate the Mach 1, or Boss 351 ( '71 only ), instead of a garden variety sportsroof. I mean, if your clientel is going to pay you to steal a Mustang, why wouldn't the mark be for the top of the breed?

The two Mustang Sportroofs used were 1971 models with 1973 fascia . Same goes for the two Challengers used in the movie ; both 1970 models with 1973 front fascia . (Both were early production Los Angeles Assembly models as well ; one was a 383 two barrel  JH23L0E, the other was a 440 four barrel R/T JS23U0E ) .

.  I kinda dig the Plymouth Fury used in "Christine", the engine shot used in the movie shows a 392 style powerplant, which didn't come in those cars, but I suppose is more sinister .

The engine in the 1958 "Fury" in Christine was actually the 350 cube Chrysler B-Engine , which was Chrysler's first entry into the big block series (followed shortly by the 361 ; the 350 was a 1958-only engine) .

Likely, in the late "fifties", a kid couldn't afford a new '57 Chevy, and would have an older model whatever to drive. I think the '48 Ford used in Grease fits o.k., but scallops would be more realistic to the era, instead of those garish lightning bolts painted on it. I do understand it's just Hollywood, but there are people who get the clothing correct, the script correct, the locations correct......I guess there aren't as many real "car people" working these movies as could be. Well there I go....trying to find reality that's not there in Hollywood.