Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finest tweezers

Hello every one.

So I'm having a hard time choosing tweezers.  I had a pair of the Tamiyas; HG Straight and HG Curved which were awesome.  I could pick up and hold the smallest of PE etc...

They are a bit pricy, actually very pricy but I've found in life that one either buys nice or buys twice.

I'm taking this opportunity to hopefully upgrade my tool set, but some stuff I had was already top shelf.

What's a fantastic set of straight/curved tweezers?

I have many different sets, but my very favourite is a Swiss made pair of tweezers called Triumph, from Swartchild & Company.  They are popular among watchmakers and come in many styles, though mine are straight tweezers with a very fine point. Best feeling tweezers I have ever had, though the summer humidity in my basement (where my model room is) causes them to lightly rust. They show up on ebay frequently.

Swiss watch makers tweezers are head and sholders above anything you can get in the hobby world.  They are very carefully gound and precise in use.  They are often refered to as "Diamond tweezers" because jewelers use them for handling diamonds.  If you can imagine a piece of photoetched flying across the room, imagine a diamond doing that!   You canget them in stainless, brass or regular steel depending on if you need them to be magnetic or not.  Peer-Vigor or Grobet are the best known.  They are not cheap but they are a critical part of my tool drawer.  So much so that I have a spare set.  I get mine (and other small precision tools) for a jewerly supply house.  Here is a web site for the tweezers I use.  Oh, and be careful.  If your wife ever gets her hand on them, they are gone for ever.  http://www.ottofrei.com/Boley-Style-Nn-Nickel-Plated-Steel-Tweezers

157.570_zoom.jpg?resizeid=8&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Over the decades of modeling I have collected many pairs of tweezers, but 90% of the time I use my favorite small tweezers. I don't even remember where I got them. There is a logo on them, but I don't recall what it shows. They are not stainless steel and they are oxidized (um, rusty), but for some reason I really like them. I But if I need some specialized pair for some task, I have them all handy in my homemade tweezers holder. My favorite pair is in the front row, 3rd from the left.

Tweezers_zpsc2415612.jpg.07ce04ec0af291b83e32db4851e458eb.jpg

Hi,

I went ahead and bought the Dspiae tweezers as well as the Tamiya HG angled ones that I used to have and will post a comparison on both for fun.

Hopefully you will find it of some value.

Being a bit of a minimalist, I prefer to have fewer really really good tools then many average/good enough tools.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:10 AM, aurfalien said:

Hi,

I went ahead and bought the Dspiae tweezers as well as the Tamiya HG angled ones that I used to have and will post a comparison on both for fun.

Hopefully you will find it of some value.

Being a bit of a minimalist, I prefer to have fewer really really good tools then many average/good enough tools.

Nothing wrong with that way of thinking.  As for my collection, sure some are few similar (straight-pointy tips) tweezers, but many others have different shape and function. Not all tweezers are alike.

• 1 month later...