Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Glass-02/08

I hear what you're sayin' Dave. I still thought the air cleaner was just a tad bit high initially and I understand about the reasoning for the spacer. In the picture below is my 1:1 scale engine in my truck with a highly modified 220 TBI unit that's been bored to 50mm and as a set of 454 Fuel Injectors on top (and no spacer...lol)  All of that is adapted to a 4 barrel carburetor style intake manifold. I was thinking about a Holley system but have heard about some reliability concerns with it.

30598145-191f-42af-b65f-fc7c2521ab36_zps

Joe, it's looking good. Those pictures of the 454 that you posted in my G30 thread got me thinking... I had seen you working on one yourself. I also drive a GMT400, mine is a 1992 C1500 with a 5.7 and 5 speed. I will enjoy watching this SS come together. I love these trucks.IMG_5518.JPG.35ab6f729bf482a24a30df310c10eee8.JPG

11 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I hear what you're sayin' Dave. I still thought the air cleaner was just a tad bit high initially and I understand about the reasoning for the spacer. In the picture below is my 1:1 scale engine in my truck with a highly modified 220 TBI unit that's been bored to 50mm and as a set of 454 Fuel Injectors on top (and no spacer...lol)  All of that is adapted to a 4 barrel carburetor style intake manifold. I was thinking about a Holley system but have heard about some reliability concerns with it.

30598145-191f-42af-b65f-fc7c2521ab36_zps

I wish I still had some pictures of my '86 C1500 X Cab 2wd. Like you I had gone to a stroker 383 from Blueprint Motors from Neb. I used a kit and new base plate from Turbo City and the "soup bowl" between the throttle body and the air cleaner and a spacer under the throttle body also. The exhaust was a full Edelbrock system with only the OEM converter remaining. This made an almost 5000 lb. truck with 3:73 rear gear light up the 285/55x18s almost anytime you so desired. Now back to the model.    

Edited by espo

21 hours ago, espo said:

I wish I still had some pictures of my '86 C1500 X Cab 2wd. Like you I had gone to a stroker 383 from Blueprint Motors from Neb. I used a kit and new base plate from Turbo City and the "soup bowl" between the throttle body and the air cleaner and a spacer under the throttle body also. The exhaust was a full Edelbrock system with only the OEM converter remaining. This made an almost 5000 lb. truck with 3:73 rear gear light up the 285/55x18s almost anytime you so desired. Now back to the model.    

Right you are Dave. Will have some progress shots up today. :D

On 11/28/2018 at 9:44 PM, vincen47 said:

From a design perspective, I too agree this was the best generation of GM trucks. The design was clean and well-proportioned. You could easily dress it down or up and still look great. The extended cabs, crew cabs, and dually versions also had great proportions and didn’t throw the overall design off balance. They looked good right off the assembly line.

Definitely one of the more pleasing designs of Chevy truck, but I am still partial to the '69-72 body styles.  The first pick-up I ever owned was a '72 C-10 long-bed with a 350, automatic, AM radio and optional rear bumper.  Got a wonderful 10 mpg, until I added a Holley 650 double-pumper, Tarantula intake, and Cyclone headers, then it dropped to 8 mpg; when you nailed the throttle you could watch the gas gauge drop.

Enough about that, this is turning into a great build.  I really like the engine detail, looking forward to updates

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, Rusty92 said:

Joe, it's looking good. Those pictures of the 454 that you posted in my G30 thread got me thinking... I had seen you working on one yourself. I also drive a GMT400, mine is a 1992 C1500 with a 5.7 and 5 speed. I will enjoy watching this SS come together. I love these trucks.

That's a good looking truck Jacob. I feel the same way about these trucks. Some of the longest lasting trucks out there. I've got just over 400,000 miles on mine.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:12 AM, TarheelRick said:

Definitely one of the more pleasing designs of Chevy truck, but I am still partial to the '69-72 body styles.  The first pick-up I ever owned was a '72 C-10 long-bed with a 350, automatic, AM radio and optional rear bumper.  Got a wonderful 10 mpg, until I added a Holley 650 double-pumper, Tarantula intake, and Cyclone headers, then it dropped to 8 mpg; when you nailed the throttle you could watch the gas gauge drop.

Enough about that, this is turning into a great build.  I really like the engine detail, looking forward to updates

I like the old 72 model trucks as well. My dad's got one at his shop in my home town. I'd really like to re-do a truck like that one day. Yours sounds like it really got around pretty well.

Thanks for the good word Ricky.

Chassis is completed. I painted it all different shades and textures of black with some of the highlights/ raised areas brought out with a very subtle touch of silver lead pencil. The exhaust, even though it's hard to make out in the photos, was one of the hardest paint wise I've had to do yet. For starters it was LACED with seam lines down both sides of the exhaust pipes, converters and mufflers so I first had to remove all of that. I black based the complete exhaust system and shot it all with a coat of Metalizing Aluminum through an airbrush. Next I drilled out both tail pipe ends. After that I lightly coated both converters with a coat of Tamiya Titanium gold and after that dried a light dry brushing of Tamiya Burnt Blue powder from their engine weathering kit. Both mufflers got a treatment of Matte Aluminum Bare Metal Foil for an added effect. The fuel tank was also flat black based and shot with a very light coat of Alclad Polished Aluminum. After that dried I dry brushed a light coat of ground up black pastel onto it to dull it down.
For the front suspension I did make the front wheels steerable as I've always wanted a model with posable front wheels. It was a lot easier to do with this kit than it has been with some of the builds that I've done. The ones in the past and really delicate and finicky parts or they had no option for steering at all. As a matter of fact this whole kit has been a true breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the older BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Revell kits that I've built where I had to do a TON of work just to get them to look even half decent.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, KWT said:

That my friend is one sharp chassis, Joe. Love how this is coming along.

Thanks a lot Jeremy. Great to have you tagging along.

I still have to move the rear tires inwards a little but I've just about got the wheel/ tire and stance set up where I want it. The wheel and tire fit was a little bit of a trick for the rear wheels but I managed to get it to work alright. I coated all wheels with Tamiya Smoke (X-19) to get rid of the toy chrome look. The chassis isn't adhered to the body yet which will pull the body down to set a better stance but you get the idea anyways.

I also received my re-mastered decals from Thomas at Speedway Decals.

Very nice work so far! Haven't seen many of these built which is surprising when thinking how popular the 1:1 versions are. I'd like to build one myself too, but unfortunately the kits are pretty hard to find. Anyway I'll be following, keep it up!

11 hours ago, W-409 said:

Very nice work so far! Haven't seen many of these built which is surprising when thinking how popular the 1:1 versions are. I'd like to build one myself too, but unfortunately the kits are pretty hard to find. Anyway I'll be following, keep it up!

Thanks Niko. You can find them alright but they aint cheap.

Yep, I should have been more specific, they are hard to find here in Finland. :D And buying them through eBay results around $35 minimum extra cost on top of the kit price (shipping, customs charges etc).

But, some day, I will buy one.:P

'The fuel tank was also flat black based and shot with a very light coat of Alclad Polished Aluminum.'

The louvered appearance on the bottom of the fuel tank represents a rear-draining semigloss black ABS shield that covers the lower half of the tank, up to the perimeter seam.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:57 AM, W-409 said:

Yep, I should have been more specific, they are hard to find here in Finland. :D And buying them through eBay results around $35 minimum extra cost on top of the kit price (shipping, customs charges etc).

But, some day, I will buy one.:P

I hear what your sayin' Niko. $35 extra...………..YEEEESH!!!!

16 hours ago, Daddy Mack said:

'The fuel tank was also flat black based and shot with a very light coat of Alclad Polished Aluminum.'

The louvered appearance on the bottom of the fuel tank represents a rear-draining semigloss black ABS shield that covers the lower half of the tank, up to the perimeter seam.

Ya know...……..you're right. Why I didn't go out and look on my own truck to see about that is a true wonder. Thanks for the heads up Earl. Cool avatar and welcome aboard to the forum BTW.:D

Edited by mustang1989

• 3 weeks later...

I had initially primed the interior pieces to include the tub. I was looking at it even with the ejector pin marks on the floor and thinking to myself, "Yeah.....that's gonna......no....no it aint gonna work!!" The ejector pin mark, even though it's in a terrible place I can actually deal with. More on that in a minute. That chintzy brake and accelerator pedal just isn't gonna do at all.

So ………...I put my thinkin' cap on.. :hmm:

I found another floorboard from a parts kit that I've got in the stash and cut the whole section out of this floor board. Then I cut a section out from the parts donor.

Then the replacement piece was glued into place.

We'll be using some PE pedals to have a little more true to scale and true to references look. Now to address those disgusting ejector pin marks. Those...…..will be covered up by these floor mats that I acquired which just came in the mail a couple of days ago.

The interior on these models is just bleh. The hump in the floor is too low and too wide. The pedals are very bad also as you noted. The floor mats will be a nice touch. I have a rubber floor in my 1:1 and still use Kraco mats! Keep up the great work, Joe. 

11 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

The interior on these models is just bleh. The hump in the floor is too low and too wide. The pedals are very bad also as you noted. The floor mats will be a nice touch. I have a rubber floor in my 1:1 and still use Kraco mats! Keep up the great work, Joe. 

I hear what you're saying Jacob. The floor hump is squared off in the kit when it should be rounded as well. Just trying to make the best with what I have here. lol

This interior is long from being done so I'm just posting this to post some progress. I've been working on the color tones and surface textures with the differences in the seat fabric, carpet and on the door panels by using different colored pastels. You can see the contrasting colors on the seat between the weaved and the smooth sections of the drivers seat. That seat will directly contrast the passengers side seat which hasn't been touched up yet. I've got the door handle/ switch bezel painted but still have to fill in the details on those and then get the foot pedals taken care of.

Progress so far:

Ok gang. I've got the interior tub pretty much done except for the foot pedals. I really like this photo as it shows the color contrast on the seats very well. I finished up the passengers seat this morning with the color contrast. I left the pleated part of the seat the original color that I painted it and used a mixture of red with a little black ground up pastel and dry brushed it onto smooth parts of the seat to slightly darken the color tone for a subtle yet highly noticeable contrast. I was surprised with the results. Everything is adhered into place. The door handle/ switch bezels and all details have been painted here and I thought I'd add a Coke to the cup holder. I mean....why not? I'm smilin' so why not have a Coke to go with it? :whistle:

After 4 days of painting and detailing I've got the dash finished. Lots of masking and painting tonal variations and colors involved but I managed to get it done. After all the dashes I've used decals on for IP gauges this one's kind of "meh" to me but it's done anyhow.  Next up...….steering column detailing.

Edited by mustang1989

Man that interior! Looks like the real deal. The HVAC and radio unit looks really good. As well as the equalizer and tape deck. I always had to hit the side of the dash by the radio because the volume would get stuck! One good thump and away we went. It’s a shame these trucks didn’t come with a manual. The pedals are a very nice touch also.