Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Glass-02/08

1 hour ago, Daddy Mack said:

I'm bangin' gears in mine. The steering wheel is from an 80's Skyhawk S. Same wheel as a Turbo Regal but with black spokes.

I do like that steering wheel. I never even saw a C1500 Silverado with a 5 spd till I moved from Dallas down to Corpus. 119K eh? You've still got a lot of useful mileage out of that truck.:D

7 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Man that interior! Looks like the real deal. The HVAC and radio unit looks really good. As well as the equalizer and tape deck. I always had to hit the side of the dash by the radio because the volume would get stuck! One good thump and away we went. It’s a shame these trucks didn’t come with a manual. The pedals are a very nice touch also. 

Thanks Jacob. Funny about that radio (and knock on wood for me) is that I've heard horror stories about how they always went out thus were always being replaced by technicians in the dealership. Mine's still going strong. FYI LMC truck has a replacement radio for these that fits right in place of the original and has iPhone interface, Bluetooth technology and two USB ports. Check it out: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=155

Steering column installed with the scratch built gear shift lever, turn signal/ multifunction switch and tilt lever. I also managed to put an ignition switch as well as the ignition key and door lock key on a key ring. The ignition key was then inserted into the switch and glued into place.

There.....that's more like it:

Looking great Joe! I checked out that head unit and I'll keep that in mind if I ever want to go back to somewhat stock. The only thing that would make that interior better is if the seats were torn under warranty! Haha! I agree with Alberto, the key is a nice touch. You've definitely turned this interior into something really nice.

8 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Steering column installed with the scratch built gear shift lever, turn signal/ multifunction switch and tilt lever. I also managed to put an ignition switch as well as the ignition key and door lock key on a key ring. The ignition key was then inserted into the switch and glued into place.

That is some Most Excellent Detailing Work!

Thanks Albert, Jacob and Earl. I appreciate the very kind words.

I simply could NOT fathom doing all that work to the interior and then using such a crappy OOB glass assy like this:

So ….. I cut it up into sections and cleaned the sections up some. I also fabricated some sun visors to help the realism out a tad:

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, redneckrigger said:

Very nice work on an iconic truck!

Thanks Tom.

I got the base color on this morning. I still need to do some wet sanding here and there to remove a couple of dust specks and smooth some areas out. I've got her in the drying booth now for the next couple of days.

Edited by mustang1989

Black is a tough color, it looks good from this photo! I bet it looks great in person. The 454SS always has been a favorite of mine. Down in Texas I’ve seen one that was straight body wise but the paint was pretty much gone. It was a true 454 though. Felt good to see one used up.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, redneckrigger said:

Very nice paint....................and black is VERY unforgiving! Just picked up one of these kits.............can't wait to do something with it.

Thanks Tom. There's some issues along the way but it's a decent kit.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, Rusty92 said:

Black is a tough color, it looks good from this photo! I bet it looks great in person. The 454SS always has been a favorite of mine. Down in Texas I’ve seen one that was straight body wise but the paint was pretty much gone. It was a true 454 though. Felt good to see one used up.

Thank you Jeremy. I'd love to get ahold of a 1:1 version for a decent price. Probably not gonna happen but'd be nice.:D

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:46 AM, John Verkerk said:

Nice work!!  ,like your attention to the details!

Thanks John. I've gotta watch how carried away I do get with the details. Builds take long enough these days and details add a lot of time to them.

Got the gloss coat on. Here in the photos this is about 6 hours after application so this is already nice n' dry to touch. It'll be another 3-4 days till I bring all of this out of the drying booth. I'm really stoked about how this finish is going to look on the completed build.

I was pretty happy to make out the bulb letters in the middle of the light reflection on the body :

14 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful clear and finish Joe, WoW.!

Thanks Carl. :D

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That is looking fantastic, nice paint job and the details are spot on!

Thank you Mike!

6 hours ago, kelson said:

Your paint job looks better than how the real 1:1 left the factory:)

I appreciate your comments as well Curtis. This is definitely  in the "too shiny" category for stock BUT I couldn't help myself with this one as I have a love for these trucks. If I had one I would want it to look like this.

Well guys...………...I had more done on this thing than I thought. the only real setback was that the exhaust tailpipes hung down too low. I had to break out the mini torch and carefully shield all the surrounding chassis and apply a little heat to it to tuck it back up where it belonged. The ending steps are a bit finicky with the front bumper being sandwiched between the body and the chassis but I've now got that done. I still need to re-paint the tail gate and install the upper radiator hose, side rear view mirrors and do some last minute clean up, polishing and a couple of other things but this one's almost there....

…………..and completed engine bay.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, Sergey said:

Nice polishing Joe!

I wonder: how have you painted gauges on dash board? Looks real!

Thanks Sergey. The instrument panel gauges were touched up with a white pencil. I wanted to go with decals but couldn't find any that would work with it so I went back to skills that I use for aircraft modeling.

23 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Sergey. The instrument panel gauges were touched up with a white pencil. I wanted to go with decals but couldn't find any that would work with it so I went back to skills that I use for aircraft modeling.

Thank you! I'll try this tip on my 90's TopKick dash.