Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 1:12 Ford Gt40 Mk2

Here is my latest client project, the Trumpeter 1:12 Ford GT40 Mk2. Its being built as a curbside model however all the box stock pieces will be done as per the instructions. The doors and rear body work are now in position and I've worked out the differences between the joins. I've done this only with a rough file at the moment so a fair bit more work is needed before priming. The lower chassis section is a little further on in progress. There was a bit of filing needed on the top edge due to a ridge between that and the lower edge of the top body section when placed together. I got the smoothed out and have now primed it ready for color. 

I've got the main engine block together and it's had its first coat. 

Moving forward the plan is now to get the lower chassis section finished in color, decals and clear so it can be left to fully dry before sanding and polishing. During this down time I will prepare the main body section, front nose section, complete engine, and the parts ready to go on the chassis.

IMG-20181118-194626.jpg

IMG-20181118-164804.jpg

IMG-20181118-164410.jpg

IMG-20181118-164357.jpg

IMG-20181118-194652.jpg

Chris Ward
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

I've got to ask if you do not mind.  Seeeing how 1/12 diecasts are pretty expensive but very nice an available at the click of a button, how many hours do you estimate this will take and factoring in your time to your price, what ball park are we talking about?.  This is only a wild guess but assuming 80 hours to bulld plus the cost of the kit, paint and supplies, I would think this has to be at least over $2,000 (what that is in pounds) or even more.  Other than someone offering me a few hundred dollars to build the most basic 1/24 kit I do not see how this can be a profitable venture unless someone has a lot of money to throw your way.  I would love to see it when it is finished.   I bought one when they came out but only got as far as reading the box and buying an extra tire.  Perhaps I may buy the decals to do a different version than the #2.  On 2nd thought maybe if I could sell these for $100 (using the pre-painted bodies) I could make a little cash.

If anyone is wondering yes the #8 is 1/87 scale.  Picture of ACME 1/12 attached - $600 on EBAY.

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3226.PNG

Edited by vamach1

I'll definitely be following this one! One of my favorite '60's road racers and I have this kit too with all the bells and whistles. PE, extra tire, tire decals-----the only thing I didn't get was the aftermarket tires which are just a bit too pricey for me at the moment. Rex brings up an interesting point. I'd be curious too about the financial end of doing something like this.

Not that I'd ever get into it-------I'm too involved with my own models let alone a regular job! :D

Hello vamach1, to give you idea on cost of the build is it in the ball park of $600 with the kit included. I build models at a cost I believe is acceptable to both myself and the client. I don't necessarily price it on hours spent building it. By this I mean I don't do this as my sole income, its just a side venture/hobby which I would be doing anyway so it pleases me that i am able to make a little income off doing something I enjoy. I much prefer building models than collecting them so its works out very well for me. If I were to price accordingly per hour spent then yes the cost would be much higher but then I wouldn't be building very many and loosing a lot of my passion for build models that I wouldn't be building myself. Saying that I would raise my fee for a model that included more detailing, this GT40 is a curbside build, if it was to be built with the KA detail set for example the price would be higher.  Hope that all makes sense, it does to me!!!!!  

Here is an update on the Ford GT40, I've done a little more work on the engine block using 7mm tubing for the exhaust tail pipes. The lower part of the chassis is now painted, decaled and clear coated ready for the front suspension, cockpit to be added. The main body is almost ready for paint, the body parts and doors fitting together reasonably well  but there was a little tweaking needed to ensure the panel lines remained equal  and there wasn't any ridges between the two.  

IMG-20181122-200512.jpgIMG-20181122-200542.jpgIMG-20181122-144008.jpg

Chris

Here is the next update on the Ford GT40. Lower chassis painted section has now been sanded and polished and started to fix the front suspension pieces and engine mounts ready for the engine to be installed, which just needs a few more hoses to be done. Also started on the cockpit, seats added photo etched washes for the seat vents and the dashboard which i've added some scale toggle switches for a little extra detail. 

IMG-20181129-195356.jpgIMG-20181129-195327.jpgIMG-20181129-195433.jpgIMG-20181129-201626.jpg

More to follow, 

Thanks
Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 8:45 PM, Anglia105E said:

Chris.... The file Copy.txt has my reply message in it.

David

Hi David, thanks for that. You should probably have suggested a higher fee and you could have maybe negotiated it down if he hadn't gone for it but I know at the spur of the moment its not easy,  as long as your supplies were covered. 

Next progress report on the curbside GT40. 

Engine detail now finished, just used to kit hoses and hose connectors with it being a curbside build nothing internal will be seen. Placed the engine in the chassis and fitted rear suspension. A lot of small changes were needed as I found the kits parts in this area of the model did not fit together very well. Front suspension went together much better but is a lot simpler.   

Cockpit parts go together much better and are of nice detail. Just need to add the PH washes to the second seat now.  

IMG-20181216-174929.jpgIMG-20181216-181205.jpgIMG-20181216-190533.jpgIMG-20181218-200216.jpg

In the next few days I hope to get the body final coat done and sanded so I can add the decals and clear ready for assembly onto the lower half of the chassis. 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to you all, 

Here is the latest update in the 1:12 Trumpeter Ford GT40. I have now finished the the main body section, placed decals, cleared, sanded and polished. This is almost ready to be placed on the lower section of the chassis. Just a few things to added first to the inside of the body. Being a curbside build its a little tricky making sure things are attached in the right order as I wont have any access once the body is on the chassis. 

IMG-20190103-103244.jpgIMG-20190103-103141.jpg

Next stage is to complete the front clip and work on the exterior details. 

Thanks
Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few photos of the finished Ford GT40, was a little bit of a challenge bringing the main body and the lower half together, due to my build plan with it being a curbside but after a few tweeks it came together well. Very happy with how the paint has polished up, especially with it being black which tends to show any imperfection. Other than a few additional parts its all built out of the box, and all in all i'm very pleased with the final outcome. It's not the greatest kit, especially when it comes to the engine detailing, but I would very much like to build it again (non-curbside) and make the many necessary modifications to correct the many authenticity flaws. Would require a lot of scratch building.  

IMG-20190116-140522.jpgIMG-20190116-140534.jpgIMG-20190116-140554.jpgIMG-20190116-140704.jpgIMG-20190116-140744.jpg

Thanks
Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

• 4 weeks later...