Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '34 Ford Pickup Customizing Kit

Casey

On 12/26/2018 at 3:50 PM, Casey said:

These are some of the parts which are presumed to be lost, or at least were not included in any of the Lindberg releases:

IMG_20181226_143135.jpg

IMG_20181226_143125.jpg

Most of the remaining tools, etc. shown here:

AMT34FordPickupHH6.jpg

i just finished the lindberg 34 it still has the tonneau cover the toolbox and that battery ,the handtools and engine stand and hydraulic jack

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, Casey said:

Maybe they'll be the same tires included in the '53 Ford pickup reissue from 2015? Not sure if Round2 will include a set of four wide whites and another six blackwall tires, though:

53fordpickup008-vi.jpg

I would be surprised if one single person laments the loss of those full wheel covers. :D

I'm one of those that wish they would have included the original wheel covers. Fortunately I have a few sets. My guess is (looking at the box art) that it will include the newly retooled Aka Kart wheels from the Mod Rod reissue. All good. Really glad to see the service truck parts restored!

4 hours ago, Kustoms Illustrated said:

It sure looks like the wheel covers may be included... I hope so.

wheelcovers.jpg

As noted earlier, the new kit still  has the old Lindberg "billet" wheels as the option, and new, simplified chromed reverse wheels as the choice for the top box art version.  Those old custom wheelcovers are nowhere to be found......TIM 

11 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I'm one of those that wish they would have included the original wheel covers. 

Looking at the box art again, I see there are two different style wheel covers. The original issue wheel covers have eight radial raised ribs and a bullet style center, and the second type are referred to as "WILD CUSTOM" HUBCAPS:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Looking at the box art again, I see there are two different style wheel covers. The original issue wheel covers have eight radial raised ribs and a bullet style center, and the second type are referred to as "WILD CUSTOM" HUBCAPS:

s-l1600.jpg

Yep. The first Re-issue has wheel covers that are similar (I believe) to the 64 Corvette wheel covers. I had one of those for a while. Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is if they restored/retooled the crossed flags trophy base. The 57 Ford also used to have one. Will post a pic if I get a chance.

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

As noted earlier, the new kit still  has the old Lindberg "billet" wheels as the option, and new, simplified chromed reverse wheels as the choice for the top box art version.  Those old custom wheelcovers are nowhere to be found......TIM 

Tim, do those new chrome reversed wheels look much like the newly retooled Ala Kart wheels in the Mod Rod reissue? That's what they look like on the box.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, tim boyd said:

OK guys, just got a look at the final release an hour or two ago.  

Of the "missing" parts Casey shows above,  the only flares and the fire extinguisher appear to be missing in the new kit.   The cement blocks, tire rack, and gas can are on a separately packaged runner (non-plated), while the jack and the trophy top (a miniature 1934 Ford pickup) are on a second, separately packaged small runner of plated parts.   And yes the tonneau cover is there as well.  

The instruction sheet is a rebop of the original c.1962/3 AMT Trophy Series sheet; of the page Casey showed above only the fire extinguisher and flares are missing from the instruction sheet.   The instruction sheet also includes the "Kustomizing Hints" attributed to George Barris from the original kit release.  

The chrome reverse wheels are on a new, separately packaged plated tree; they are slightly simplified in detail vs. the 1936 Ford Round2 kit parts illustrated earlier in this thread.  Five wheels are provided (including one for the fender mounted spare).   The 1980's style pseudo billet wheels from the Lindberg releases are still there on the large plated parts tree, but not mentioned in the instructions.  

The decal sheet appears to be largely an enhanced rebop of the original....I believe the colors for the Ford service oval are new on this sheet vs. the original.  

The tires are five pad printed wide whitewalls.  

The box itself as illustrated above, is of the typical large Round 2 size, not the narrow/smaller size of the Trophy Series original.  The kit is molded in white styrene.  

Nice to have this kit back in circulation; with some of the original flavor restored, too!    TIM 

Thanks for all of the good info, Tim!

Did you happen to notice if there's an extra set of tinted glass included???

1 hour ago, Casey said:

These are painted gold, but I believe these are the original full wheel covers from the '34 Ford Pickup kit, correct?:

IMG_20190109_093832.thumb.jpg.8e4764345c8ba91e3500d24b7e501c78.jpgIMG_20190109_093838.thumb.jpg.6dc111f55bed36839893a969be379d96.jpg

Top: Issue 1.

Middle: Issue 2.

Bottom: The Street Rods issue. Bet the truck trophy top is simply welded off. Round2 doesn't seem to like cutting into the tools anymore.

20170428_223110.jpg

20170225_144704.jpg

IMG_6759rt resized.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

57 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Top: Issue 1.

Middle: Issue 2.

Thanks. I didn't realize the tri-bar spinners were integral with the covers, so I can move them from the 'Chevy' to the 'Custom' section in my wheels parts bin. :D

IMG_20190109_115914.thumb.jpg.8de71a01c47a4cb317b3deb5c0729e04.jpg

Edited by Casey

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Thanks. I didn't realize the tri-bar spinners were integral with the covers, so I can move them from the 'Chevy' to the 'Custom' section in my wheels parts bin. :D

Stock '64 Corvette wheel covers (which these look like) have the tri-bar spinners.  IIRC that is what was included w/ the AMT '64 annual (don't have mine convenient to check). 

1964-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-004.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Stock '64 Corvette wheel covers (which these look like) have the tri-bar spinners.  IIRC that is what was included w/ the AMT '64 annual (don't have mine convenient to check). 

18 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Yep. The first Re-issue has wheel covers that are similar (I believe) to the 64 Corvette wheel covers.

The two wheels I have (presumed to be from the '34 Ford, but not so sure now) appear to be identical to those from the AMT '64 Corvette Sting Ray Sports Hardtop kit:

64vettewc.jpg.7c3b730571d9b9f2254199000350de72.jpg

Which year did the AMT '64 Corvette Hardtop kit's wheel covers first appear in the AMT '34 Ford Pickup kit? Possibly the same wheels, moved over via an insert?

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Which year did the AMT '64 Corvette Hardtop kit's wheel covers first appear in the AMT '34 Ford Pickup kit? Possibly the same wheels, moved over via an insert?

That I don't know..I've only had the Lindberg molded in red version, never seen the older AMT versions.

Scalemates lists 1961 as the year of original issue, and 1965 for the first reissue/second issue. Here are the second issue kit's chrome parts, with the Corvette wheel covers having replaced the original custom wheel covers:

amt34fordpuchrome1965issue.thumb.jpg.d5ed59492bc3d80ed52efbae328825c1.jpg

I'm pretty certain the '34 pickup is included in the 1962 AMT catalog as a "new" item.  The second issue has those '64 'Vette wheel covers, but the outer edge detail differs slightly from the covers in the Corvette kits themselves.  It would be logical to guess that the tool insert was modified a bit and swapped from the 'Vette tool to the pickup's, but the 'Vette only had four of those wheel covers while the pickup had five...

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

Looks like something seen flying over the Nevada desert in the late '50s.  B)

I was going to say that the fat chick singing at the opera was wearing two of those, along with a Viking helmet...

• Casey changed the title to 1/25 AMT '34 Ford Pickup Customizing Kit