Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '34 Ford Pickup Customizing Kit

Casey

17 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Do these look familiar? These are the re-tooled Ala Kart wheels from the recent Mod Rod reissue.

20190108_223933.jpg

Dave…..yes, those are the exact same ones. 

They include one tree just as you show above, and then one wheel cut from another tree after plating, to equal five per kit.  AKA, they're running five of the "597" wheel tools for every four of the '34 Ford reissues to be sold.....TIM 

12 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks for all of the good info, Tim!

Did you happen to notice if there's an extra set of tinted glass included???

Dennis....just confirming Casey's reply below, only one set of "clear glass" this time.....Best Regards....TIM 

On 1/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, Casey said:

Scalemates lists 1961 as the year of original issue, and 1965 for the first reissue/second issue. Here are the second issue kit's chrome parts, with the Corvette wheel covers having replaced the original custom wheel covers:

Scalemates is pretty unreliable. If you want a good example, just look at the AMT and MPC Model A kits. They have the 28 Woody and the 29 Roadster in the same family tree, with the Woody coming out first. They also have the Woody as coming out in 1962, before MPC even existed, and before the kit it was modified from, the Sedan was tooled.

Edited by Dave Darby

On 1/9/2019 at 10:18 AM, Casey said:

There is only one set of 'glass' parts included:

image.png.fcb1e13dcaa44e128c6e1ce41ebeb024.png

It doesn't appear the

I just noticed from this box bottom photo that it appears Round2 either retooled or found the original glass tool for this kit. The AMT windshield is a better fit and the headlight lense detail is more accurate than the Lindberg set. Plus  the lenses for the tow service lights have returned. Lindberg on the left, original AMT on the right.

PSX_20190110_211523.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:56 AM, Dave Darby said:

Original decal sheet and instructions. Plus one of the lesser seen light blue ones. Most of the original issue 34s were molded in red.

20170428_223113.jpg

Thanks Dave for posting the original issue decal sheet.

The new Round 2 kit sheet has the same scallops, "buggy" graphic, and Ford Sales and Service decals, plus a few new sponsor decals and 7 new instrument panel gauge decals.  

The colors are slightly different; the scallops have a more maroon (vs. dark violet) tint to them, and as I mentioned earlier, the Ford Sales/Service decals share the same maroon background color vs.. the original dark blue color as seen in Dave's image. 

TIM 

PS - my original issue kit, purchased in early 1964, was molded in medium gray.   TB 

Edited by tim boyd

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

PS - my original issue kit, purchased in early 1964, was molded in medium gray.   TB 

While the majority seem to have been molded in red, there are a decent number of the light blue ones around. I have heard of a few molded in gray and in black as well, but have never seen them.

I have 2 red ones and two blue ones. One of those blue ones is going to get the plastic polished and built as a tow truck, using the original decals - no paint. I had one like that as a kid. One of the others will be a box art build. That said, I'm still in for a couple of the new ones.

Model Kars 31.jpg

On 1/12/2019 at 6:49 AM, Gramps46 said:

This is my original survivor and it was molded in red.  I do not remember any 64 Corvette hubcaps included in the original.

011_8sm.jpg.49566e9f797b62fa791b8687bb3784fd.jpg

That's because they weren't in the first issue. They were included in several subsequent issues up until the Street Rods issue came out.

20170223_224049.thumb.jpg.165e8793a6902b322e2dd2a8639e768a (1).jpg

Been wondering about some model parts I got from my gf that were her dads. I can tell this is how the model was

originally built by him by the paint & glue marks. I guess the red frame & dash in my pic is from an older 34 truck kit.

Never knew it was molded in red before a few days ago.

The cab almost looks chopped,but isnt. Wonder if it might be an older Lindberg 32? Bed & cycle fenders maybe old AMT 32 car?

krowbar 055.JPG

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder
Knew it was Lindberg,not Aurora,lol

5 minutes ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Been wondering about some model parts I got from my gf that were her dads. I can tell this is how the model was

originally built by him by the paint & glue marks. I guess the red frame & dash in my pic is from an older 34 truck kit.

Never knew it was molded in red before a few days ago.

The cab almost looks chopped,but isnt. Wonder if it might be an older Aurora 32? Bed & cycle fenders maybe old AMT 32 car?

I like the patina ;)

These were molded in Red, Light Blue, Black, Maroon and White all before AMT "lost" the molds at a shop. 

I have looked at a few parts kits over the years at the Toledo show but they were more than I wanted to spend on them. One guy had every color except white.  We had a Maroon glue bomb for years at the house. very little of it remain here but I think the bench seat. 

There were only two AMT issues with the stake bed.  Both had the chromed open wheels and the dual rear wheel pieces (which if I remember right, were just really wheel backs that were deep enough to fit two stock tires on each one).

• Casey changed the title to 1/25 AMT '34 Ford Pickup Customizing Kit