Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi sport Quattro S1 updated 2/2/19

Gt fan

On 12/10/2018 at 6:13 AM, afx said:

Enjoying this build Tim.

Thank you....I haven’t built a rally car in a long time and forgot how much I enjoyed building them. There is a bunch of extra details you can do to these cars to practice or try something new. Chipped rims to weathering to dents and ripped off side view mirrors. I’m on vacation now but will be back at it in the next few days. The brain wheel has been turning. Look out!,,

I love modern technology ! ! !  The wheels just arrived from ups. These are smooth and top notch printing. I love the fact that you can have made what ever you want with pictures and good measurements. The tires are coming from a Tamiya kit that has the gravel options. Five rims were ordered because one goes inside the car behind the seats. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Before joining this forum I had only dreamed of the day I'd see the Quattro in a scale kit. . . Not only am I enjoying this WIP thread, but also loading up the wishlist/cart to buy the Beemax kit for myself soon, and anxiously awaiting the release of some other ones.

There's only about 4 Group B's that I want, and of course the Audi is right there at the top, you sir are doing an excellent job of building this one.

edit: question, have you thought about, or know which car you are making? By this I mean, are you going to decal it up for Walter Rohrl, or Stig, or another driver?

Edited by Ensis Ferrae
forgot a question at the end

9 hours ago, Ensis Ferrae said:

Before joining this forum I had only dreamed of the day I'd see the Quattro in a scale kit. . . Not only am I enjoying this WIP thread, but also loading up the wishlist/cart to buy the Beemax kit for myself soon, and anxiously awaiting the release of some other ones.

There's only about 4 Group B's that I want, and of course the Audi is right there at the top, you sir are doing an excellent job of building this one.

edit: question, have you thought about, or know which car you are making? By this I mean, are you going to decal it up for Walter Rohrl, or Stig, or another driver?

Thank you very much. I really haven’t thought about a driver yet, but it will be a Monte Carlo rally version.. I have a jar of the Tamiya detail snow I want to try. 

Back from vacation and got a few things done. Wheels have been painted and some base details have been done. The seat have been painted with textured paint and the backs have the Kevlar decals added. The kit doesn’t give you any. I made mine by making a template from Tamiya tape and transferred it to Scale Motorsports decals. After they dry for a few days I’ll add some clear to them. Interior has had the pedals and foot plate added on drivers side. The holes were opened in the foot plate. A light weathering has been done to show some wear. I am thinking about adding some driver and co driver. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had found some time over the weekend to get some things done with the Audi. I ran some lines in the interior just have to add the fuel line. The fire extinguisher is painted and drying. It goes  behind the front seats. The dash is in place and decals and some details have been added. The wheel has been weathered with some light brown to simulate a worn look. Co driver has been fitted into the seat and I will start to detail it with some light and medium grey washes. The rear wing base has been fitted and the top elements have been dry fitted. If you build this kit the wing is very flimsy. There are three injection marks on the thinnest element. The two tiny nubs that stick out of the wing fit against the wing base. 

8DE05B39-F67F-49F6-94F7-935414A0704C.jpeg

AA360EE1-5313-49E5-8757-69C3C66DF62C.jpeg

D2F586D8-89FA-49CB-856B-EF986BAB4BA8.jpeg

E24362D3-DCA6-401A-A4A9-27586B43A7DF.jpeg

14C9D164-1706-4737-ABB8-915C405A718B.jpeg

This is making me want to start mine.  LOL  But I have two other WIP stopping me.

Which kit for the tires?  I have a Subaru Impreza, but it has slicks.

I've been watching videos, to help decide on how much to trash it, really want end of the stage filthy dirty with torn fender and such.  Noticed tonight the leading edge of the front spoiler had different colors.  Anyway, I'm cheering you on!  And just for kicks, some action video:

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

This is making me want to start mine.  LOL  But I have two other WIP stopping me.

Which kit for the tires?  I have a Subaru Impreza, but it has slicks.

I've been watching videos, to help decide on how much to trash it, really want end of the stage filthy dirty with torn fender and such.  Noticed tonight the leading edge of the front spoiler had different colors.  Anyway, I'm cheering you on!  And just for kicks, some action video:

The kit I used was Tamiya 24262 Peugeot 206.. It has the dirt stage options in it. Silver car with red graphics. I plan on doing this as the night snow stage car. I love the way these cars look with all the lights. Thanks for the support. I hope to have it done soon. The kit has some very thin parts, the rear wing and area were the rear vents go.

I had some time to do a few more things today. I love days off from work. Started working on the drivers and the belts. A bit disappointed in the detail kit as it does not give you enough material to make the full belts. I think they need to give you two pairs of ribbon. I have plenty in the supply box?. The drivers came from a Tamiya kit. I used the panel line detail in dark grey to pick out some of the wrinkles in the suit. Red line was done with a medium Sharpie. Suits were painted flat white. I put the body on just for a mock up.

91BD89E8-8C1B-44AB-8586-B3350FB19D3D.jpeg

1351F5A8-BF8A-4670-A2F8-EA2770D13611.jpeg

image.jpg

Got back to doing some building today. Interior is just about done. The arms and heads need to be added as well with the spare tire. I need to make the hold down straps for it. In the one picture it’s just mocked in.i need to do a bit of weathering on the door panels and  they go on. The body is primed and drying. 

16BAC832-811D-4DBB-8C57-3671F76EE757.jpeg

72EECBD9-3D7A-48C4-98BA-E8EF4D911D6F.jpeg

4DFA2369-124B-41CE-99AE-41C519C58919.jpeg

F1F20B8D-31CF-4D75-BB01-CA35677CAFFC.jpeg

882BB705-59D8-42C1-B4B4-F601EC85A582.jpeg

Let the decal madness begin. Started adding the front fender decals. The yellow part over the front wheel needs to be trimmed after it is applied. There is a trim line that can be followed. The fender decal is probably the hardest one. Goes over the hood wart and though the fender vent. Decals are a bit thick,but got it to bend with red label set and a hair dryer. 

3A29BB08-2618-4F07-9825-954ACBA2813C.jpeg

B0A56897-F55C-47A3-AA9A-11CBAEE07851.jpeg

This looks like a great kit and I am very much enjoying the WIP, keep up the good work.

One thing with those Tamiya driver figures: I tried them recently and found them to be way out of scale, closer to 1/30 than 1/24. The figure on the right in this pic is the Tamiya one and the other is a Fujimi.

image.thumb.jpeg.20b3701a247113184e467f4bb001dea1.jpeg

I ended up using the Fujimi's

IMG_2873.thumb.JPG.0df60bda14a71002f04245cfc0aa93fc.JPG

Edited by Davoski
right, left, whatever

18 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Using Microsol decal solvent?  I know there is red and blue.  I like using Solvaset if the decals aren't too thin and delicate.  Do the decals even stick to the seat belts?

Yes. I use the Microsol stuff. The decals do stick . I grab the decal with tweezers and dumb it in the decal set bottle real quick. I have even used a bit of flat clear over them,because it is a sewn on patch.