Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welly Tires Dissolving Display Case?

Dodge Driver

It never occurred to me that a modern diecast's tires would cause this age-old problem. However, upon examining my Welly 2005 GTO today, I found it stuck fast to the case bottom.

The case floor is what I assume to be clear acrylic that now has tread shaped divots melted into it. The tires themselves were undamaged.

I thought I would give a heads up as something to be aware of. Below is the case I have.

image.png.b2db8d55dcb1091e12c8c34c7123c12a.png

The tires are vinyl (PVC, or Polyvinyl Chloride) and the display case is clear polystyrene.  If the proper precautions are not taken at the factory, the PVC Monomer can leach out of those tires, and WILL damage polystyrene over time.  It's an old-time problem for modelers, for the most part,  but still can happen on occasion.

Art

• 3 weeks later...

I have a lot of models that are stuck to the base in their cases.   I usually put the blade of my pocketknife under the edge and pry up gently.   Haven't considered a barrier yet.  Hasn't caused any great deal of damage yet.  and keeps the cars in place.  

On 11/22/2018 at 6:28 PM, Art Anderson said:

The tires are vinyl (PVC, or Polyvinyl Chloride) and the display case is clear polystyrene.  If the proper precautions are not taken at the factory, the PVC Monomer can leach out of those tires, and WILL damage polystyrene over time.  It's an old-time problem for modelers, for the most part,  but still can happen on occasion.

Art

Wow Art,you are exactly correct.And it is very obvious that you know what you are talking about.I've had tires stick a little to some areas of a wooden computer table.I guess that's what happens when you don't move or touch the model for a long time.

I have seen this problem many times on Chinese diecast models with soft vinyl tires. The reason is what Are mentioned. They probably use cheap ingredients for their vinyl.  Some of mine are so bad that the clear liquid plasticizer actually puddles around the are where the tire is touching the plastic base.

Too bad more companies do not use real rubber for their model tires like Japanese model kit manufacturers do. Tamiya, Aoshima, Hasegawa, Arii, Fujimi, etc. all use real rubber. No liquid leaches out of those. The only negative is that it can harden after decades of being exposed to air.  Just like real rubber tires.   I suspect that it is much cheaper to make vinyl than rubber tires.