Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT GMC Astro 95 Semi Tractor Cab

Casey

Spoke with one of the guys from Round 2 at a model show awhile back, and he said that they did have the turbine insert, but wasn't sure of its condition.  I suggested that they offer it as a standalone kit like their chrome sleeper.  He said that sounded like an idea worth considering IF the insert was usable.  

Let's hope that it is available again.

A.J.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:14 AM, maxwell48098 said:

Spoke with one of the guys from Round 2 at a model show awhile back, and he said that they did have the turbine insert, but wasn't sure of its condition.  I suggested that they offer it as a standalone kit like their chrome sleeper.  He said that sounded like an idea worth considering IF the insert was usable. 

Well, that's good to hear. I think the stand-alone idea is a good one, too, and may be easier than trying to package it all together again.

Edited by Casey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It will probably be this one with the crappy grill and they would have to fix the cab for a correct turbine  kit because when they update the kit along with the real truck  they punched recessed holes where the grab handles go if you look at one of the last Ertl Astros you can still see where the single handle went and where the  bus mirrors go. Hope they fix the wrap cab problem also but who knows in the first edition they didn’t bother to add the correct grill for the turbine engine 

A64EB9BE-6CF5-4189-8B6B-D3C105B7A2D1.jpeg

Edited by Pete68

post-5381-0-30561700-1373961640_thumb.jp

I have the original Turbine kit unbuilt. I was always curious as to what the real turbine engine looked like color wise. Hard to find much online.

I did find a pic of the real truck though & it says the grill was the same & the upper grill was actually simulated with paint.

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

chrysler was experimenting with turbines back then,around 64-65 they had a fleet of cars they gave to the public to test for them,didnt work too well,they didnt make it to production..it is a strange picture,looks to be in  a warehouse or loading dock of some sort.Harveyb

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2018 at 7:44 PM, Casey said:

The 1/25 AMT GMC Astro 95 cabover tractor has been announced for reissue in 2019 as kit number 1140. Sorry, no GM Turbine engine this time around.

Good news. The 1/25 scale Allison GT 404 turbine engine, originally (and only) included with the original issue of the AMT T 510 GMC Astro 95 kit, will be reissued as:

PP29 - Big Rig turbine Engine Parts Pack

Per Doug Ridge at Round2:

"Yes it is the original (engine) from the GMC Astro, from the original AMT tooling."

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, Lordmodelbuilder said:

I was always curious as to what the real turbine engine looked like color wise. Hard to find much online.

I would say this seafoam green color is accurate, but I have only found the below two color images of the GT-404 turbine engine: http://www.delcoremyhistory.com/Museums/rollsroyceallisonheritagecenter.htm

gt360-107w-1.jpg.3e7232294f85b58be84061c02388b83b.jpg

http://placespages.blogspot.com/2014/06/miscellaneous-displays-at-pacific.html

IMG_5107-1946-Cummins-Diesel-Engine-.jpg.44ed67f54e1f8220bbb37153a4949841.jpg

It's interesting that the complete turbine engine is contained on one tree, and could have been offered as an accessory parts pack in the $10-$15 price range.  A few years ago at a toy show I spoke with an R2 representative and he said that they did have the turbine engine tool and it was complete, but didn't think it would sell by itself as a parts pack.  It's good that it will finally be back.

A.J.

• 2 months later...