Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '78 Corvette Indy Pace Car (Non Pace Car build)

Dragonhawk1066

Calling build #7 for the year done. The Revell '78 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car 1/24 scale. Paint is Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue over their white primer. Interior colors are a custom mixture that I tried to get as close to the factory Oyster color interior option as I could. Outside of the initial failed interior paint, this was a pretty trouble free build. Everything went together well and made for a nice fun build. I will definitely get another one of these kits and actually do it as a Pace Car next time.

DSCN2897.JPG

DSCN2900.JPG

DSCN2901.JPG

DSCN2915.JPG

DSCN2905.JPG

DSCN2914.JPG

DSCN2908.JPG

DSCN2893.JPG

DSCN2913.JPG

DSCN2916.JPG

Nice, 3 suggestions for your next one. Plug wires are way too big, they are almost heater hose size on your model. Spray the  wheels with dullcoat to knock down some of the shine, the real ones are more like polished aluminum versus full chrome, and sand your engine and transmission seams.

42 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Nice, 3 suggestions for your next one. Plug wires are way too big, they are almost heater hose size on your model. Spray the  wheels with dullcoat to knock down some of the shine, the real ones are more like polished aluminum versus full chrome, and sand your engine and transmission seams.

Thanks for looking.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Calling build #7 for the year done. The Revell '78 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car 1/24 scale. Paint is Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue over their white primer. Interior colors are a custom mixture that I tried to get as close to the factory Oyster color interior option as I could. Outside of the initial failed interior paint, this was a pretty trouble free build. Everything went together well and made for a nice fun build. I will definitely get another one of these kits and actually do it as a Pace Car next time.

DSCN2905.JPG

Good lookin' Vette Craig! Paint looks great man.

Say.....where'd you get your shop diorama from?

Big C3 fan here, so I was anxious to see how this kit builds up.  Looks like I should get going on mine sooner rather than later.

Couple questions, if you don't mind.

z1.jpg.1ab37770cd89e217a4ef2209d7881e29.jpg

1) What exact paint did you use on the engine block?

2) Are the "rings" on the tail light lenses decals or the results of very careful painting?  

Edited by Monty

On 11/25/2018 at 6:51 PM, kelson said:

Good looking Vette!!

On 11/25/2018 at 10:42 PM, RAMBENNA said:

nice looking Vette, great job

On 11/26/2018 at 9:47 AM, Deathgoblin said:

Beautiful job!  :)  The paint looks amazing!

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Good lookin' Vette Craig. Paint looks great man!!

8 minutes ago, Scalper said:

Nice work.. nice and clean

26 minutes ago, Dominik said:

x2 - i love this gen corvette.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

Big C3 fan here, so I was anxious to see how this kit builds up.  Looks like I should get going on mine sooner rather than later.

Couple questions, if you don't mind.

z1.jpg.1ab37770cd89e217a4ef2209d7881e29.jpg

1) What exact paint did you use on the engine block?

2) Are the "rings" on the tail light lenses decals or the results of very careful painting?  

I like these Vettes also and it builds up pretty nicely. To answer question #1, although most will scream sacrilege, I am pretty sure I used Model Master Ford Engine Light Blue #2726 from the bottle. #2, The tail lights come clear and are molded nicely with grooves for the rings molded on the inside of them. I first used a toothpick to carefully paint the silver ring , on the inside two I then painted the center white, then the red last. I used enamel for the silver and white and used acrylic for the red to avoid reacting with the silver. It was actually pretty easy and you will see what I mean once you get going on them. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Good lookin' Vette Craig! Paint looks great man.

Say.....where'd you get your shop diorama from?

Thanks, I love using the Tamiya sprays as they lay down real nice. I built the diorama out of 3/16" foam board. Even the shelves are foam board. I cut the signs out of various catalogs and the brick and floor are scrap book paper that I got at Hobby Lobby. It is a pretty simple and basic dio, but I think it looks pretty good. Hope this helps.