Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bullitt 1968 Ford Mustang GT

mrmike

I'm almost finished with the interior, I just need to make some seat belts.   A mockup with the body and hood shows the interior not sitting level and the screw holes have some play in them before the are bottomed out.  I need to modify the hood pin holders on the side panels to allow the interior to sit correctly.  I need to address the rear edge of the hood and the edge of the cowl.  This should be even all the way across from one side to the other.

More to come...

Bullitt25.JPG

Bullitt26.JPG

Bullitt27.JPG

To get the interior to fit better, I removed part of the hood mounts on the interior side panels.  I also deepened the grooves for the hood (highlighted in orange) with a Dremel and a small grinding bit.  This is tight enough so the hood now stays up on it own.  I got the Optima battery painted and now it is ready for the photoetch pieces and mounting.

More to come...

Bullitt28.JPG

Bullitt29.JPG

Bullitt30.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I have been doing a bit...no...a lot of research on the Bullitt Mustang lately.  I even spent some time looking at Google Images for pictures of the Bullitt Mustang for my screen saver and I came across an image that I had forgotten about.  The image came from an episode of the CBS TV drama Blue Bloods starring Tom Selleck.  The episode was titled simply enough, The Bullitt Mustang.  Season Six, Episode Seven.  I have tried to find that episode for free on YouTube and anywhere else and it is only in episode previews or small snippets, but not the complete episode.  More research and I found that the complete episode is on NetFlix, but I don't have an account with them.  But, my wife does and she has previously told me that I could use it when I wanted.  I tubed up the episode and watched it and completely enjoyed watching it.  

I added some more detail to the 390 CID engine and I may add more.

More to come...

Bullitt33.jpg

Bullitt31.JPG

Bullitt32.JPG

Thanks Jeremy!

I hate to tell you this, but that is not the complete episode.  That episode runs for 32.08 minutes and the actual aired episode is just over 43 minutes long without the commercials.  I didn't bother with Dailymotion.   

Edited by mrmike

• 4 weeks later...

I sprayed the chassis with Tamiya TS-6 matt black and brush painted Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black bottle paint and Model Master Metalizer Stainless Steel and Aluminium on the suspension.  I highlighted any details with brush paint and a fine brush and I may do more detailing.  I was able to keep the H-pipe that Marcos Cruz deleted from his model.

More to come...

Bullitt34.JPG

Bullitt35.JPG

Bullitt36.JPG

On 11/25/2018 at 4:42 PM, mrmike said:

I'm surprised that no one has built a '68 Charger R/T from the Revell '68 Charger kit and yes, I have the diecast version of that car, too!

Way back when the Pro Modeller 69 Charger came out I bought that, but it stayed unbuilt. I was hoping a resin caster was going to produce a 68 front and rear end but I don't know if it happened. Next thing, Revell produced the 68 Dick Landy race car and yes I did complete a sort of replica using the Revell 68 Dart hubcaps. And yes I built a sort of Bullitt lookalike using the 67 Mustang from AMT though there were definite differences here, mainly the hood and side pods for those roof vents. 
 I never did finish that one, just painted it rattle can dark metallic  British Racing Green. It came out ok and the pair were really built for my small son as he thought the chase was so good on film. 
 A shame as they now sit boxed in my loft covered with a ton of dust that appears to be welded to them. Now I know there is a source for that hood I may restore them both some day...you never know.

I did some digging around a found a set of wheels and tires from a Revell '32 Ford that would work with this Mustang.  I kept the front disc brakes and painted them aluminium with flat black calipers.  I've been adding detail here and there to the chassis and I made a set of seat belts for the front bucket seats.  One of the things about this chassis that I don't like is the screws used to hold the chassis and the interior in.  I found a piece of round styrene that will fit the screw hole and cover the screw when all is assembled.

More to come...

Bullitt37.JPG

Bullitt38.JPG

Bullitt39.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the Bullitt Mustang into a couple coats of Tamiya Grey Primer.  I have a couple of minor blemishes to sand out.  The hood was also primered and I usually start spraying paint under the hood to see how the paint will react.  This is my first time using Scalefinishes paint and it sprayed out very nicely.  I thought that the color might have been too dark, but this is very close to what I was hoping for.  A couple more coats and the color will be perfect!

More to come...

Bullitt40.JPG

Bullitt41.JPG

Bullitt43.JPG

I got the body painted and now for a little cleanup of some trash that found its way into the paint.  If I sand the finish, I'll have to repaint the body.  If I can remove the trash with my fingernail, I may not have to repaint.  We shall see.  A view of the interior.

More to come...

Bullitt44.JPG

Bullitt45.JPG

Bullitt46.JPG

On 11/25/2018 at 10:27 PM, mrmike said:

I'm sure Scalefinishes would or MCW or even Gravity Colors.  But, I am trying to find what I need locally, be it in a hobby shop or auto parts store and I am trying to avoid going to the internet.  If I go to any of the aftermarket suppliers, it'll be as a last resort.  

Go to your local NAPA store that has a automotive paint dispencer and get them to do you up a spray can of Ford Highland Green. Should cost you about 10 or 15 bucks.