Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 resin turbine engine

Polar Lights 920

image.jpeg.7eba4369eb106a3e2868f98691bf3ce9.jpeg

Has a turbine engine. The engine is 88mm long and 22mm in diameter at its widest point. The kit can be had for a paltry $29.04 from Shore Line Hobby, located in the wonderful, hurricane magnet state of Florida. Plus, the kit contains resin Batman and Robin figures to stuff into yer fancy new Bat Wheels.The kit itself is sehr kewl, too.

10 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Polar Lights 920...Has a turbine engine. The engine is 88mm long and 22mm in diameter at its widest point. The kit can be had for a paltry $29.04 from Shore Line Hobby, located in the wonderful, hurricane magnet state of Florida. Plus, the kit contains resin Batman and Robin figures to stuff into yer fancy new Bat Wheels.The kit itself is sehr kewl, too.

Dangity handy to have the actual kit #. I knew one of them had a turbine, but not which one. 

Also, the '89 B-mobile kit is said to have a turbine engine, apparently re-released by R2.

Any dope on that?

Well, AMT 1107, the 1989 Keaton Batmobile kit contains a "complete" turbine engine

image.jpeg.096efe648e8d7a6b5bedf7fdeb0d7e15.jpeg

Unless one is resigned to the fact that a Cobra will require major surgery to stuff this baby under the body, it ain't bad looking. Honestly, I don't think this mod would be believable, engineering-wise.

Thank you so much fellows. It would seem the small compartment of the Cobra is not the best place to try and get in a turbine engine. Maybe not one of my better ideas. However since it is a fantasy car I could perhaps cut a section out of the middle and put it back together and make a smaller one. Hmmm.  I would like to that you all once again.

You might be able to pull it off using the turbine from The 1966 BM I mentioned. It looks to be smaller in diameter than the one pictured above. You would have to add a larger tunnel in the cockpit to clear the engine body and get a little creative in designing an exhaust (maybe a split type, exiting along the rear behind the tires).

The little Howmet rig (from the AMT kit above) mounted in the tail could work, assuming you can live without a trunk full of Bat-gear. It's small, makes around 400 SHP, IIRC, and puts the extremely hot and high-volume exhaust behind you. Actually, that entire chassis could work. Might require widening the body. Hmmmmm...what Cobra kit are you starting with? I could check some dimensions for ya, as I have several Cobras and the Howmet in stock.

Another kinda doable idea would be a sidesaddle rig like the pregnant-snake Indy cars ran. Of course, that would kill any passenger carrying capability, and if I were Batman, I'd sure like to take Batgirl for a spin every now and then. :D

There are three decent looking turbines in the AMT Amtronic kit. They were supposed to make enough power to fly the thing in fantasy land, so using one for a surface vehicle powerplant isn't too far fetched. The front engine is a scaled-down version of the Chrysler style, while the rear engines have annular combustion chambers.

image.jpeg.6141b8a1325a14485bfda82e9e0682bf.jpeg   Image result for AMT Amtronic

AMTronic - the 21st century car 07

AMTronic - the 21st century car 12

AMTronic - the 21st century car 13

Maybe the AMT one ?  I was just about to give up the idea because the Cobra compartment is so small and that front suspension as you know is sitting right there. I even just primed the stock skinny v8 but maybe my idea is not quite dead yet ! I know the one in the Cherry Bomb kit would work but it is little more than a lump  and would need to build some panels around it which is no problem but I still would have the lump. I really thank you all for putting so much time and thought to the project.