Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/25 55 Chevy

Brudda

Well getting away from the big projects for a while. Doing 1/25 again. Back to reality. This is the scale I love. 1955 Chevy, probably everyone has done one except me. This is a project I shelved because I did not like the trim. Now with molotow chrome paint I can finish this car. The blue is really striking. The top deck lid and the top of the 1/4 panels are pearl white. Here we go, hope you like. 

F065BD71-0DAE-4E0D-BEAB-81B0F182E491.jpeg

Hello , the blue is a automotive solvent based paint.Sherwin Williams.  We had some Chevy truck blue left over and I added more blue toner. This was the result. I did this a few years ago but got stuck on the trim. So I shelved the model. I wish I could give you guys more info on the paint. It is a Standard Chevy truck color with a blue toner added to the stock paint. It has been so long ago I cannot remember how much toner I used. It has a sherwin Williams urethane clear coat.HPC 15 clear. 

I’m sorry, this is not a Revell kit. It’s a monogram kit. Getting old I guess. Painted the trim with molotow liquid chrome. Going to put American racing torque thrusts from the Revell 32 ford kit. I wish they would make a parts pack for the rims. I could use these on a bunch of cars. Washed the grill. So far it’s a great kit. Here are some pics2889CEAA-2873-4798-A74A-0859F814BF2B.thumb.jpeg.ddfbf5fd1e7899251c406b9256072594.jpeg

50035645-5B8D-41CB-9A3E-EB32B91C8FC2.jpeg

475F2A44-7EED-4D3D-9683-9B87EB878CAF.jpeg

Thank you guys. Oldnslow , my friend had a 55 he restored into a hot rod cruzer . Put a Chevy crate motor in it and American wheels, light suspension work and this paint job. The white is a light pearl. He did the interior the same way. Blue and white. I kick my self on the rear as he wanted to sell it to me for $25,000. This was 10 years ago when everyone was hit hard. I had the money but was scared of the economy so I did not buy it. He did a total rotisserie restoration. The car was beautiful! So I’m going to build this and give it to him. With the money he received from the car he bought a steel bodied 32 for the same price so I guess it worked out for him. With hind sight I wished I bought the car. Bet you had a blast with yours!

Thank you guys for the great comments. Bigtalldad, I use a automotive urethane clear coat. If some of the chrome paint gets on the finish it comes off with wax and grease remover. On all other finishes I would paint a plastic spoon and test the chrome paint on the spoon. It is alcohol based. Says permanent ink. Removing it on other finishes might be a problem. Masked the car with jammydog micro masking tape and then tamiya tape for the rest. It was sold thru scale finishes. I do not know if they still have it, but it seems to mask it tight with no issues. You can coat molotow over any finish as long as it is smooth. No need for a very shiny finish. I have used it over primer with great results. Kosmic Krome is $95 , alclad is $8.85. You need a shiny finish for each of these. Molotow is so much better. Hope this helps. Thank you for the great comments. 

C2FB6019-7B57-4965-9E12-57821409B774.jpeg

3268E9AC-27D8-4B5E-A854-BE80E557A5E9.jpeg

5208B81D-CE8D-4F57-B22C-99E9AF115418.jpeg

Bigtalldad, if you look close, behind the rear suspension, the upper splash shield is molotow liquid chrome paint. The lower is polished white metal. What is very cool is that I brushed that upper. It is not air brushed. It looks like I airbrushes it. That’s how cool this stuff is.

26C47AEA-F334-407C-B545-936FCC171BA9.jpeg