Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/25 55 Chevy

Brudda

Bruce...... I have just been studying all four pages of this wonderful topic, and as a builder of British and European scale model cars in 1:24, seeing your incredible work on this '55 Chevy makes me want to go out and buy the Monogram kit and build one myself! Maybe this will happen, as a direct result of your inspiration. In a few weeks I shall be taking delivery of the excellent book by Tim Boyd ' Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits ' that everyone is talking about. If there is a 1955 Chevy in there like yours Bruce..... I may well go ahead with it. ( no way am I going to achieve your paint finish, and I love the two tone look of the'50's

David

Thank you Mr Obsessive as the molotow takes a long time to dry. I will try that and see how it goes. The liquitex sprays nice . The next model I build I will paint the chrome parts first then in a few weeks spray the liquitex. The molotow stays soft for a while. I want to thank you guys for the input. Really helps a lot. Thank you 511 nova as well. Yes Oldnslow I left the trim off as my friends 55 was removed. But I may add it later because it would look better. But for now it’s trying to get these darn bumpers worked out. I did a few different tricks I learned just recently, I use clear double sided tape for the windows, no glue of any kind. It works great without the glue prints and all of the mess. The second is buytal windshield tape. In the 80s and 90s windshields were put in with this black tape and I use it in some areas instead of glue. My grill and license plate are mounted with it. Bumpers will be used with it also. If you make a mistake it can be taken off without total destruction. I figure if it holds windshields in it can hold a small plastic part on. I donot use it on all parts just certain pieces. When I built my mfh Ferrari I used it on a few parts that I knew it would be a problem. Thank you guys I really appreciate the help.

Thank you Anglia 105E. Tim Boyd is full of knowledge and a great builder. I have followed his builds and learned a lot from reading his articles. Please build it . They are very fun. I’m always learning and having a blast doing it. I love British and European automobiles! Thanks again, and please build it. 

Very interesting tip about the tape! That's the first I've heard of that. I wish I had known about that when I was doing my '74 Corvette resto. It would have made things easier since I molded it so the windshield mounts from the outside as opposed to the inside like most models. ;)

20 minutes ago, Brudda said:

Thank you Mr Obsessive as the molotow takes a long time to dry. I will try that and see how it goes. The liquitex sprays nice . The next model I build I will paint the chrome parts first then in a few weeks spray the liquitex. The molotow stays soft for a while. I want to thank you guys for the input. Really helps a lot. Thank you 511 nova as well. Yes Oldnslow I left the trim off as my friends 55 was removed. But I may add it later because it would look better. But for now it’s trying to get these darn bumpers worked out. I did a few different tricks I learned just recently, I use clear double sided tape for the windows, no glue of any kind. It works great without the glue prints and all of the mess. The second is buytal windshield tape. In the 80s and 90s windshields were put in with this black tape and I use it in some areas instead of glue. My grill and license plate are mounted with it. Bumpers will be used with it also. If you make a mistake it can be taken off without total destruction. I figure if it holds windshields in it can hold a small plastic part on. I donot use it on all parts just certain pieces. When I built my mfh Ferrari I used it on a few parts that I knew it would be a problem. Thank you guys I really appreciate the help.

Thanks for the cool tips budda. What brand is the clear double sided tape? 

511 nova the double sided tape is a 3m product. For mouldings on cars. So I believe it probably is expensive. You get it at a automotive paint supplier. The car is finished. I mounted the. Bumpers with windshield butal tape. I can remove the bumpers without hurting the car. Thank you everyone for you help and support.

088F577C-8B63-4E96-9E68-5230430EBCDA.jpeg

C7077FEA-3B4B-4E30-97D0-76B1B0E70AAF.jpeg

DF95CFC1-466F-4CFB-BF53-5D8399BA8334.jpeg

8235C7B7-573F-4BB9-8225-A2ACE8B232FC.jpeg