Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '78 Dodge D-100 Pickup

Casey

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

This should make a lot of people very very happy.

,, is that the 4X4 axle I see under there ??  :o

Yes, and a Power Wagon badge.  But that is a photo of a 1:1 and not the kit.  Hopefully they have tooled up some new wheels and tires, the wheels and tires w/ the original '78 MPC longbed 4x4 pickups were pretty inaccurate IIRC..

Nice to know that a Dodge D100 pickup is coming, will have to wait and see what is actually in the box. The artwork states "D100" but the vehicle is clearly a W100 (note the 4wd front axle) on the box. As stated, what is shown and what is released can vary greatly (Moebius 70 Ford 4x4 pickup comes to mind).

I am sure there will be some resin folks out there that will have a conversion/upgrade kit for this along with some other parts and pieces.

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, and a Power Wagon badge.  But that is a photo of a 1:1 and not the kit.  Hopefully they have tooled up some new wheels and tires, the wheels and tires w/ the original '78 MPC longbed 4x4 pickups were pretty inaccurate IIRC..

As long as it doesn't come with the 1/20 scale racing tires from the original annuals, I'll be happy.

The larger diameter Desert Dog 4x4 tires (last seen in the '84-ish GMC 4x4 pickup, and Jeep Commando 4x4 kits re-released recently) will fit the large size steel wheels from the original Dodge Pickup annual kits, so hopefully they use those tires rather than the 1/20 semi-slicks, at a bare minimum.

Some of the earlier annuals had both 2wd & 4wd set ups in the same box, using the MPC Goodyear Polysteel(?) tires and stock wheel covers for the 2wd version, and the large steel wheels with the 1/20 racing tires for the 4wd version, so it's possible that they could offer this as a 2wd/ 4wd kit.   

Edited by CapSat 6

Just now, CapSat 6 said:

Some of the earlier annuals had both 2wd & 4wd set ups in the same box, using the MPC Goodyear Polysteel(?) tires and stock wheel covers for the 2wd version, and the large steel wheels with the 1/20 racing tires for the 4wd version, so it's possible that they could offer this as a 2wd/ 4wd kit.   

Yes, that I remember..my '72 and '73 annuals are like that IIRC.

This is going to unlock a whole bunch of aftermarket resin parts. All  I'll need is a resin 1973 Grille, if the box contents match the box art. 

I suspect that this kit is going to generate page after page of comments. Good, Bad and everything in between. Give the lack of MOPAR Pickups and the price even the LRW kits bring, this thing is going to be a lodestone of interest. I know that I'm in for as many as my budget can support next year, and a group of resin parts to backdate, change, and augment this kit. Now comes the hardest part. Waiting until it hits the shelves and there are definitive answers to the dozens of questions about what exactly is in the box, and how good the parts are. This kit is going to be Fun! The Circus surrounding it, will be even more Fun!

1 minute ago, Jon Cole said:

Casey did label his post: "Preliminary box art". Hopefully the final box will accurately depict the contents.

Yes, merely a placeholder at this point, but at least it's something tangible for now.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised with this one, as Tim Boyd hinted at in the general MPC 2019 Trucks topic. If the tooling for the LWB Dodge D/W pickup was buggered up enough, it may have been more cost effective to tool up a new SWB Sweptside bed and include it with the existing Dodge D-100 (LRE Truck) kit.

10 minutes ago, alexis said:

This is going to unlock a whole bunch of aftermarket resin parts. All  I'll need is a resin 1973 Grille, if the box contents match the box art. 

I suspect that this kit is going to generate page after page of comments. Good, Bad and everything in between. Give the lack of MOPAR Pickups and the price even the LRW kits bring, this thing is going to be a lodestone of interest. I know that I'm in for as many as my budget can support next year, and a group of resin parts to backdate, change, and augment this kit. Now comes the hardest part. Waiting until it hits the shelves and there are definitive answers to the dozens of questions about what exactly is in the box, and how good the parts are. This kit is going to be Fun! The Circus surrounding it, will be even more Fun!

Here we go!!!

- I think this will be a very good seller.

-The kit itself is ok- it's a vintage tool, with vintage tool limitations. Most of it is reasonably accurate, if simple. My big beef with it is the lack of positive mounting for the grille- it's difficult to mount the grille in any version of this kit, and it's very easy to mount it improperly, by "tunneling it into" the fender sides. The grille is supposed to fit ahead of the fender corners, rather than inside of them. I did get on Round 2's site, sent them a note, and asked that they would look at fixing the tooling to add tabs or some other way of mounting the grille in a better manner.  

-There is a lot of potential for different variations of this kit. 4x2, 4x4, Sweptline & Utiline beds, bench & bucket seat interiors, different model years to offer, not to mention special packages like the Midnite Express, Warlock and Macho. I really hope that most of the various tooling inserts could be found for this one.  

-There is always room for improvement- the first things I can think of are: adding the engine and transmission from the AMT '71 Charger, wheels and/or tires from Fireball Modelworks. With a little love, this kit can shine.    

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes....:D

5 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Here we go!!!

- I think this will be a very good seller.

-The kit itself is ok- it's a vintage tool, with vintage tool limitations. Most of it is reasonably accurate, if simple. My big beef with it is the lack of positive mounting for the grille- it's difficult to mount the grille in any version of this kit, and it's very easy to mount it improperly, by "tunneling it into" the fender sides. The grille is supposed to fit ahead of the fender corners, rather than inside of them. I did get on Round 2's site, sent them a note, and asked that they would look at fixing the tooling to add tabs or some other way of mounting the grille in a better manner.  

-There is a lot of potential for different variations of this kit. 4x2, 4x4, Sweptline & Utiline beds, bench & bucket seat interiors, different model years to offer, not to mention special packages like the Midnite Express, Warlock and Macho. I really hope that most of the various tooling inserts could be found for this one.  

-There is always room for improvement- the first things I can think of are: adding the engine and transmission from the AMT '71 Charger, wheels and/or tires from Fireball Modelworks. With a little love, this kit can shine.    

What about the 340 from recently reissued Duster, that could fit in very nicely. Or a slant six, or more modern Hemi, or (one of my ideas with the LRE) fit the complete chassis/engine/drivetrain from the Revell RAM VTS kit, or a resin Cummins diesel. You are so correct, so may options.

14 hours ago, Atmobil said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes....:D

What about the 340 from recently reissued Duster, that could fit in very nicely. Or a slant six, or more modern Hemi, or (one of my ideas with the LRE) fit the complete chassis/engine/drivetrain from the Revell RAM VTS kit, or a resin Cummins diesel. You are so correct, so may options.

The 340 from the Duster kit could be dressed as a 318 or 360 pretty easily. I wish Round 2 would offer that engine separately, as it's the only decent Mopar LA engine in 1/25 scale.

In 1/24, at least you have the 340 Six Pack from the Revell '70 Challenger and the 318 from the Monogram '80 Ramcharger, but I think these engines would look out of scale in the MPC pickup.

A slant 6 would be neat (take your pick: the one from the Lindberg '64 Plymouth, or even the one from the AMT Deora kit). A modern Hemi would be sweet!

Who will take a shot at replicating one of the rare, one-year only Mitsubishi diesel-equipped '78's??? :)

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

What did the box for the original issue of MPC's '78 Dodge truck look like? And why not go back to that? Still, no matter what box art is used I plan on buying one. I like generation of Dodge trucks. 

Most likely because the side trim is gone, and would be hard to re-engrave cuz then the utelines can't be released again.

Also there's "talk" that the bed "could" be a short bed, instead of the standard bed,  could be the reason too that the box-art is labeled as  "preliminary" by Casey.

Anyway just thinking out loud, we won't know for sure, till the kit hits the marketplace or a  online preview is released by the folks at Round2