Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '78 Dodge D-100 Pickup

Casey

11 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Most likely because the side trim is gone, and would be hard to re-engrave cuz then the utelines can't be released again.

Also there's "talk" that the bed "could" be a short bed, instead of the standard bed,  could be the reason too that the box-art is labeled as  "preliminary" by Casey.

Anyway just thinking out loud, we won't know for sure, till the kit hits the marketplace or a  online preview is released by the folks at Round2

Also, I’m REALLY hoping they don’t include the 1/20 slick tires (as seen with any annual version that had a 4x4 option, except for the Warlock and FireFighter). It would be nice if they found the wagon wheels from those editions. 

I agree with what has already been said, money in the bank with a Dodge pickup. I do not care if it is a 2x4, 4x4, short bed, long bed or a flatbed, just as long as it is not another LRE truck. The Warlock would be the exception to the step side bed. 

Look at how hot trucks have been in the last few decades. They have been missing out on the chance of the few kids that want to build a kit like dads truck in the driveway. 

10 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Also, I’m REALLY hoping they don’t include the 1/20 slick tires (as seen with any annual version that had a 4x4 option, except for the Warlock and FireFighter). It would be nice if they found the wagon wheels from those editions. 

That's what I'm hoping for too.

52 minutes ago, Bucky said:

There is also this version of the stepside bed:

397007fe17d4702a80c63ec69fe7f0fb.jpg

Basically, the LRE, I assume.

47 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, differences was it was molded in silver and had different decals..have one in my stash. 

But the big difference was (is) inside the box, cuz the actual model is a '79!

Wonder where those inserts are (hood, grille, and cowlpnl)

It's the only one still missing in my collection of mpc Dodge trucks, but can't push myself buying one ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

2 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

But the big difference was (is) inside the box, cuz the actual model is a '79!

Wonder where those inserts are (hood, grille, and cowlpnl)

Yeah, haven't looked at mine in a while.  There was also a molded in orange short bed step side '79 w/ 4x4 suspension...'Fire Fighter' or something like that. 

1 minute ago, Luc Janssens said:

yes!

Found it..I've got this one, the 'Pumpin Iron', Warlock, 2 Thunderstruck 4x4 longbeds, the '72, 73, 75, 77, and 78 longbed annuals in my stash, but haven't seen them since at least 2 moves/2 cities/2 states/1 decade back..still packed away. 

firefighter.png

Wouldn't it be nice if they included all four versions of the grille and hood?

And, here's a crazy thought........long bed, short bed, step bed, 4x2, and 4x4 parts all in one giant box!!!

Would be a great opp to rebuild all those ancient glue bombs!!! LOL

31 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Wouldn't it be nice if they included all four versions of the grille and hood?

Even if each unique grille still exists as a separate insert, there's likely only one 'space' for it as part of the larger mold assembly, so it wouldn't be possible to produced more than one grille at a time, along with the rest of the kit.

Now, a separate kit, with a different grille an other parts (big IF, as in if those parts exist as a separate insert and could be interchanged), maybe, but I suspect the earlier grilles are gone for good.

IIRC, there is a difference in front turn signal lens between '77 and '78. I think the '77 was white, or clear, and the '78 was amber.

My '78 LRE had the amber lens. I think my uncle's '77 longbed D100 had the white lens.

Of course, it makes no difference in kit form, as they are chrome plated, anyway. HAHA

My Dad had a '79 short bed fleet side Power Wagon Prospector 4x4. Silver green inside and out.  Had the quad rectangular stacked headlights.  I learned to drive in that truck in the mid 80s.  It had a penchant for stalling on left turns (which accounts for a phobia I still have about left turns).   Bouncy ride, numb steering with a lot of play, but still fun in it's own way.    It looked like this but green instead of blue..even had the Ram hood ornament. 

ram1-e1447451745650.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

48 minutes ago, mk11 said:

Yessir, specifically the '79 Little Red Express in everything but name...

Note the hood changed, too. The '78 LRE had the 'bird bath' hood, while the '79 LRE had the later style ('79-'80) hood, so if both grilles and hoods exist, Round2 should be able to issue a '78 and '79. I wouldn't be surprised to see an MPC '79 Li'l Red Express Truck kit reissued eventually.

while I'd love to see a long bed guessing its not going to happen, the long chassis plate was modified for the monster truck correct ? so best case I'm hoping for is like mentioned earlier a new short bed tooled up for the LRE kit, but thinking the box art will be changed to a step side  and it will be just a LRE reissue kit with new decal and artsy retro box

2 minutes ago, 440 Dakota said:

while I'd love to see a long bed guessing its not going to happen, the long chassis plate was modified for the monster truck correct ? so best case I'm hoping for is like mentioned earlier a new short bed tooled up for the LRE kit, but thinking the box art will be changed to a step side  and it will be just a LRE reissue kit with new decal and artsy retro box

I do wonder about that..in the '80s, there was the longbed 'Thunderstruck' kit w/ raised suspension and oversized tires, then the monster truck.  I never had the monster truck, so I don't know if the tooling was modified or a custom chassis/suspension added.   

A couple other subtle differences between '78 and '79 LRE trucks....

The front wheels on a '78 were not as wide as the rear wheels. The '79 had the wider wheels all around.

Also, the '78 didn't have catalytic converters, and the '79 did.

9 minutes ago, 440 Dakota said:

while I'd love to see a long bed guessing its not going to happen, the long chassis plate was modified for the monster truck correct?

That has been mentioned in the past, but I don't recall ever reading specifically what was modified, and to what extent. This instruction sheet page isn't great, but I don't see any major mods to the chassis plate itself?:

ramtuffinst.jpg.073b0f5b98a14b9d5a11a92d8e7c7267.jpg

As Rob hinted at above, I wonder if it's the leaf springs and axle parts which were lost when the Ram Tuff version was created.

Edited by Casey

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

That has been mentioned in the past, but I don't recall ever reading specifically what was modified, and to what extent. This instruction sheet page isn't great, but I don't see any major mods to the chassis plate itself?:

ramtuffinst.jpg.073b0f5b98a14b9d5a11a92d8e7c7267.jpg

31 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Just to put to rest all of the wild speculation....the upcoming kit will be a long box sweptside.   

As Rob hinted at above, I wonder if it's the leaf springs and axle parts which were lost when the Ram Tuff version was created.

Casey: IIRC the molded-in on the chassis bed floor isn't as wide as on the earlier sweptside models, most likely changed due to the uteline beds, starting with the Warlock.

Mike: good to hear, hopefuly the powers at Round2, soon will give premission for you to show your (box-art) build (asuming you did one)