Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '78 Dodge D-100 Pickup

Casey

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, landman said:

My wife had a '76 Volaré which stalled on left turns. 

Interesting. There was an episode on Emergency back in the  70's when the squad stalled on left turns also. Something tells me this probably really happened on the show when filming.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, leafsprings said:

This is what comes to mind when I think of a base model '78 D 100, and it is exactly  the way I would build it, a no nonsense worker. BTW, base model caps were painted argent silver with no holes.

IMG_5790.JPG

I want to build both the van and pickup seen here...we once owned many of these vans and pickups. It would be great if I could find some to make replicas of them with someday.

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

BTW - FYI, the 4wd frame from the Revell/Monogram 80 Ramcharger fits under the shortbed version of this truck without too much trouble. 

Finally a use for those Ramchargers with warped bodies! Might have to check and see about grabbing one or two Ramchargers for 4wd conversions of these pickups.

15 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

How about the wheels and hubcaps from the Roscoe's/Goon Police car? Too deep for the Monaco, but maybe perfect for this truck. 

BTW - FYI, the 4wd frame from the Revell/Monogram 80 Ramcharger fits under the shortbed version of this truck without too much trouble. 

I have not shown any pictures of this build here yet but this is the LRE that I am building as a 74 D100 utiline. I used the rims from the trailer in the Fireball 500 kit with tires from AMT 72 Chevy Blazer (Goodyear Tracker A-T) and the hubcap from Monaco kit (my issue is the Sheriff Rosco police car from Dukes of Hazzard). In this picture the hubcap is still not glued on, just stuck to the rim with some mulit-tack.

IMG_2889.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

So the video for March’s releases is out...I’m dying for info on this one! As I suspected, based on the box art shown several weeks ago, it’s a 2wd long bed (“Sweptline”). 

Looking at a really bad screen capture of the underside of the box, I see a few other things: 

- it looks like the dog dish caps are newly tooled, and that there may be one other wheel option. I’m seeing wheel backs and wheel fronts in the white parts, and also, wheels in the chrome parts. My guess is that the chrome wheels will be the 5 hole wheels from the Lil’ Red Express, which would not be incorrect for a D 100. 

- at least some of the service parts (roof lights) have come back. Maybe we’ll get some of the hand tools and Jerry can that came with the earlier issues of this kit, too? 

- just the 2wd version in the box. What I’m hoping here is that maybe this is a planned first release, with different content (4x4 parts) coming later. If they could find the 4x4 parts and the wheels from the Warlock, along with the roll bar parts, they’re pretty close to being able to offer a Macho Wagon. 

This does actually represent a truck that MPC never offered- as I believe that the ‘77 and ‘78 Annuals (other than the Lil’ Red) were 4x4 only. Out of the box, it makes a great work truck, or donor for a tow truck or other service truck.

I used to work with a guy many years ago that had a 2wd D100 like this as a daily driver. It was a very clean truck that he used just to get around town with. I always thought that truck was pretty cool.

Personally, I don’t miss the side trim (I would remove it for most 4x4 or work truck builds anyway) nor do I mind that it’s a long bed, because the long bed & frame could always be cut down to a short bed size (or a resin bed could be used). 

This one will sell, simply because all of the old MPC Dodge Pickup kits seem to bring big bucks - just getting glass and taillights for old builds seems to be a challenge these days!

7DC01130-B47A-455A-9625-21019B09EEAB.png

Edited by CapSat 6

I am in for a couple. I think we will see the resin guys come up with some cool stuff for this kit (are ya out there Chief Joseph?)!

I have to look, but I think I still have a 4wd front axle from a resin caster that was going to be used on a LRE, but now it's going on one of these!

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎09 at 11:43 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

... the 4wd frame from the Revell/Monogram 80 Ramcharger fits under the shortbed version of this truck without too much trouble. 

Or even just the axles and suspension, as Mchook shows in his great '76 Dodge 4x4 build...

006.JPG

76dg4x4mpc.jpg

• Like 1

It would be really informative to see the LRW parts trees laid out next the these. A Side by Side comparison might be a real education it what might be possible in the future. Seeing how the trees were laid out in the last issue of one of the 4x4's could help too.

I hear that it will be available about a month from now. 

Glad to hear that it is a LWB/long box after all; that is what I understood but some of the feedback here over the last couple of months made me think maybe I was misinformed…..

Anxious to see it just like the rest of you....TB 

The long bed was last offered without trim so this makes sense. I will definitely be picking up a few of these as well! Unfortunately all of the kits I have are glue bombs so I won't be able to show a parts tree comparison.

I would not pine over the lack of 4x4 parts , they were wrong for the Dodge anyway ! Transfer case was a New Process unit also found under GM trucks , the one depicted in the MPC kits was similar if not identical to that found under a Ford, or the earlier pre72 Dodge truck’s.