Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '78 Dodge D-100 Pickup

Casey

3 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

I would not pine over the lack of 4x4 parts , they were wrong for the Dodge anyway ! Transfer case was a New Process unit also found under GM trucks , the one depicted in the MPC kits was similar if not identical to that found under a Ford, or the earlier pre72 Dodge truck’s.

Well hopefully we can get a correct set up like the one for the Moebius 4x4 kit that Fireball Modelworks created. I think this could be a good seller for Round 2.

3 hours ago, alexis said:

Tim, will you be doing one of your detailed On-line reviews of this new kit?

Your reviews are really the best out there, with lots of history and great photos.

Alan....thanks for the comments.....and yes, on this one at least, I do tentatively plan to take a close look and at least post some preliminary observations.....TIM  

On March 7, 2019 at 11:34 AM, alexis said:

It would be really informative to see the LRW parts trees laid out next the these. A Side by Side comparison might be a real education it what might be possible in the future. Seeing how the trees were laid out in the last issue of one of the 4x4's could help too.

I wonder why the 4x4 was not included in this reissue? Wasn't most of the long wheel base trucks had both 2 and 4 wheel drive options? I am glad to see it wit or without but just curious...

Just so ya know, Pre-1974, the T-case was a separate unit with a mid shaft drive-line.

1975 was the first year of a married T-case

i only know this because my 1975 Powerwagon had a married T-case.

Which really sucks when you want a lift kit over 4"inches.

just sayin.. ;)

54192530_10216874741452419_4233813627494

Edited by RodneyBad

5 hours ago, slusher said:

I wonder why the 4x4 was not included in this reissue? Wasn't most of the long wheel base trucks had both 2 and 4 wheel drive options? I am glad to see it wit or without but just curious...

Carl.... The old MPC kits of these did have 2wd or 4x4 building options back in the day....they also had great extras.

Well, from what has been said by Round2, the Toolbox and Jack that have always been in these kits, has survived into this release as well. Plus, there is the little Rupp minibike. I'll be curious to see if the extra fuel tank that went in the bed, from the early Baja versions is in the kit. Round2 also mentions a Flasher, so we may see that and the Roll bar and driving lights. (or not)

When this kit finally lands in the US, it is going to be gone over with a fine-tooth comb. I expect there will be some grousing over this detail or that, but on the whole I think it will sell out quick.

P.S. Tim, thanks for the Reply. I look forward to your views on this kit.

14 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Carl.... The old MPC kits of these did have 2wd or 4x4 building options back in the day....they also had great extras.

Mark, I still have a complete new 4x4 setup I have for sometime. Glad I have hung onto it now I will be able to use it...

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Mark, I still have a complete new 4x4 setup I have for sometime. Glad I have hung onto it now I will be able to use it...

exactly brother.   I had some early Dodge 2wd and 4x4 long bed pickup kits and build ups before the storm...all pre 77 year ones.   I really love them and the older Dodge van kits MPC made like to find some like i had before the storm I built as a kid and with my dad think it would be good for me and the memories.   Build them as real ones the family had owned once. If I can find a few of the pre 77 grilles and get some of the new kits I could make some of them.

Has anyone here built one of these old MPC Dodge trucks with a correct engine-transmission combo ? That 'generic' Chrysler B / RB engine with a 4 speed transmission is incorrect for any year '72 - '78 D/W Series . Yes , a 400 and 440 were an option , but those were all LoadFlite [sic] equipped ; the 225 , 318 , and 360 were available with manual transmissions .

I'd imagine that the 440 / 727 from the 1971 Charger would be the best --most accurate-- option ; but how about a small block ? The AMT 1971 Duster 340 would be an excellent basis for a 360 four barrel , though minor changes from c.1976-1979 would be *necessary* to make an accurate replica .

Then there's the manual drum brake master cylinder , but that's another story . 

ADDENDUM :

Apparently , the 400 (B-Engine) was available with a 4 speed , according to the 1978 Ramcharger brochure :

78_Ramcharger_0005.jpg

Edited by 1972coronet

As much as I love these old Mpc's, an all new kit for this subject IMHO would be the right thing to do, and (again IMHO) Revell would be the manufacturer of my choice, why you might ask, well....

Since Revell also has a 1/35th scale military series, they could spread the investment costs...., and the same can be said for the same era Chevy P/U.

id_m880_02_700.jpg

Edited by Luc Janssens

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

As much as I love these old Mpc's, an all new kit for this subject IMHO would be the right thing to do, and (again IMHO) Revell would be the manufacturer of my choice, why you might ask, well....

Since Revell also has a 1/35th scale military series, they could spread the investment costs...., and the same can be said for the same era Chevy P/U.

id_m880_02_700.jpg

Yes, I agree. But atleast we are getting the reissue. As a basis it can be used for a lot of things.

EDIT: sorry, pics are out of order, they simply would not upload properly...

I just did a little archaeology, for fun...

Shown are: (left, orange)- the monster truck transfer case, and (right, white) the transfer case from all of the annuals/ Warlock.

Looking at Tim’s pics, it’s the Monster Truck transfer case. Still- Rodney noted above that the annual piece is still the wrong style for Dodges of this vintage...

The gray rear springs are 4x4/ LRX (to give the Lil Red it’s rake). The white ones are original 4x2 rear springs. Tim’s pic seems to indicate that the 4x2’s are the ones that will come in the new kit. That shows that they have looked at the details and made some choices in this release. 

More fun...The top tires pictured are: the tires from the “ThunderStruck” Dodge (now available in the MPC Jeep Commando and GMC 4x4). The first wheel is from the Mitsubishi/ Dodge D-50 4x4. The second wheel is the 4x4 wheel from all of the annual Swepline Dodge pickups. The third and 4th wheels are from the “ThunderStruck” Kit. 

The bottom left two tires are the tires you got as 4x4 tires in all of the annual Dodge Sweptlines. YUCK!!!

The bottom rights are the wheel covers from the 4x2’s from ‘72-‘73, maybe further on (I’m not exactly sure). I think these caps fell out of use by 1978, in any case. I plan to use a set on a 1974 Dodge Monaco diecast to replicate our old family car. 

If Round 2 were ever to do a 4x4 release, they could do worse than to use the ThunderStruck combination, if they could find those parts. 

Bedrails and wheels / tires from the “FireFighter” 4x4 Utiline (same Parts as for the Warlock, the gold wheels are from a Warlock Kit). For the Warlocks, they were on their own tree, in gold. 

These tires are smaller than the ones in the picture above them, although the same style, they’re sized for a scale 15” wheel. 

These are what could be found in order to offer a 4x4 Macho Wagon.

4260E1FC-92E4-46FA-BA3E-7A870E2347DA.jpeg

55D76337-36B3-48E8-9E02-A09CF6E43338.jpeg

F226F3A0-E66B-4092-A9F9-2EED556D2152.jpeg

E8B253D7-D035-44E5-92AF-D5FC64BB32F4.jpeg

Edited by CapSat 6

Thanks Bill....both of my "Baja Brute" kits have sealed parts packs that I do not want to break apart, but I'll see if I can locate the parts anyway and see if they - or the Monster Truck kit parts - are the ones in the new kit.  BTW, Luc agrees with you on this; he PM'ed me with the same comments.....TIM  

On 3/10/2019 at 6:11 AM, TA462 said:

I really hope they due another run of the LRE trucks.  I've been wanting to build one for awhile but I'm not paying the ridiculous prices people ask for them.  I own a real 78 LRE that I'm restoring. 

I have an extra LRE if you're interested in trading...

Pm me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 1:25 PM, Bucky said:

My Dad bought  a brand new '73 Dodge D-100 and it had the dog dish caps, white wheels, and whitewall tires. 

I sold Chevy Trucks new in 1978, and it wasn't unusual to see a base truck with white steelies/ doggies/ and white walls. Sometimes the factory ran out of blackwalls, so they substituted white walls for the base tires on stock units to keep the assembly line moving. Such a truck was not so unusual. Those tires will come in handy for another build. I'm going with white lettered tires on my build.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

I'm building one right now, the new reissue.

Some of the 4WD parts are in the box. Front driveshaft, transfer case, cross members.

Tool box, jack, roof top roundy round flasher also of course. And the small tools on the chrome tree. Little Red wheels and steelies. 

So far so good on the build, no alignment or assembly problems yet. I'm enjoying it. 

Edited by hpiguy

29 minutes ago, hpiguy said:

I'm building one right now, the new reissue.

Some of the 4WD parts are in the box. Front driveshaft, transfer case, cross members.

Tool box, jack, roof top roundy round flasher also of course. And the small tools on the chrome tree. Little Red wheels and steelies. 

So far so good on the build, no alignment or assembly problems yet. I'm enjoying it. 

When will the build video be out?

• 4 months later...