Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '78 Dodge D-100 Pickup

Casey

Just now, Luc Janssens said:

Mike: good to hear, hopefuly the powers at Round2, soon will give premission for you to show your (box-art) build (asuming you did one)

I wasn't asked to do one for this kit.  I'm assuming they'll do a retro-style box, but I'm just guessing.  

Just took this photo of the ones in my collection, but realized after I shelved them all again, I forgot to add the Thunderstruck kit, DOH!

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to find them all before the collector prices went way up there, now I couldn't spend the money.

So the kit will be a long box sweptside, can't wait what the  boyz did in the form of decal artwork....

IMG_0161.JPG

12 minutes ago, pack rat said:

I wasn't asked to do one for this kit.  I'm assuming they'll do a retro-style box, but I'm just guessing.  

Too bad, IMHO besides great box-art, it's always good to show how the finished product can look like when built (by a professional :D )

Anyway.. again thanks for the heads-up Mike!

Let me preface by stating how ecstatic I am about the reissue of the Sweptside ! Now , on to what that MPC D-200 / LRE / et al. inhabits which has long bothered me :

- Generic B/ RB engine 

- Manual trans coupled with the aforementioned ( maybe I'm wrong ; after 1972 no more 440 / manuals ; after 1974 no more 400 / manuals --- at least in passenger cars )

Certainly , the engine and trans from the 1971 Charger ( or the Revell Dart-series ) would be a simple swap ; a Slant Six / manual is a no brainer ; and , 318/360 with either trans would be easy to do as well .

Now , what are the chances that Round2 will tool-up some hubcaps for those plain steelies from the c.1978 annual ? 

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Now, what are the chances that Round2 will tool up some hubcaps for those plain steelies from the 1978 annual? 

We can only hope those 1/20 scale deep dish steel wheels are gone forever. No idea why someone at MPC thought those would be a good idea to include with a 1/25 scale kit. :wacko:

Now, a decent set of 1/25 scale six-lug (though incorrect for a D-100) Mopar steel wheels would be a welcome addition, but redundant if the stock full wheel covers are to be included.

That's, well, ridiculous:

MPC78DodgePU.jpg.1bb98de18877cbc048c507f09bc0f733.jpg

Hopefully once this kit hits the street, we will see a bunch of aftermarket resin parts like we have with other recent releases. Think of the goodies that Olson Bros and Fireball Modelworks gave us for the Revell Bronco, gotta imagine they might be as excited as we are to get more goodies to build multiples of the Dodge truck. I think between what is already out there and what could be easily added, there will be a ton of these Dodge pickups on the tables at hobby shows in 2019!

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

We can only hope those 1/20 scale deep dish steel wheels are gone forever. No idea why someone at MPC thought those would be a good idea to include with a 1/25 scale kit. :wacko:

Now, a decent set of 1/25 scale six-lug (though incorrect for a D-100) Mopar steel wheels would be a welcome addition, but redundant if the stock full wheel covers are to be included.

It's been so long since I've seen this kit in person that I'd forgotten about those 1/20 scale wheels and tyres . Yes , lettuce hope that those goofy things don't find their way into this (pending) reissue ! Additionally , I'm hoping that the 2-wheel-drive parts stay intact .

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Not sure why you would want 6 lug wheels in this vintage Dodge truck kit, never used them on light duty trucks  only the import 50 series and then Dakota/Durango till 04 or so

Edited by 440 Dakota

1 hour ago, 440 Dakota said:

Not sure why you would want 6 lug wheels in this vintage Dodge truck kit, never used them on light duty trucks  only the import 50 series and then Dakota/Durango till 04 or so

True, but they could be offered with other Round2 truck kits (like the Dodge D-50, which I think is going to be reissued semi-soon), and there are already plenty of decent 5-lug steel wheels available. While I will freely admit they aren't factory correct, neither are 20" x 12" steel wheels like MPC offered in the Dodge D-series kits over the years, and how many people will want to build it with the full wheel covers and stock-style skinny tires?

1 hour ago, Atmobil said:

The only thing those 1/20 deep dish steel wheels are good for is the 1:20 Ford van and then with the Formula Desert Dog tires that is in the 4x4 version of it that was recently reissued.
I would prefer these kind of wheels:
1972-dodge-d100-pickup-truck-classic-d10

Fireball Modelworks does several sets like these...mostly for car applications. The caps in this picture are police car only (ventilated). It used to be that people usually added them to their Mopars because they had a set or two lying around. Fireball does an excellent set of those caps, too!

1 hour ago, Casey said:

True, but they could be offered with other Round2 truck kits (like the Dodge D-50, which I think is going to be reissued semi-soon), and there are already plenty of decent 5-lug steel wheels available. While I will freely admit they aren't factory correct, neither are 20" x 12" steel wheels like MPC offered in the Dodge D-series kits over the years, and how many people will want to build it with the full wheel covers and stock-style skinny tires?

agreed there is plenty of 5 lug stuff maybe they could do some 6 lugs in a Chevy kit of some sort, that's mostly what I remember them being on and anything other than what was included last time will be a welcome addition for sure, some full wheel covers could be cool as well

7 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Fireball Modelworks does several sets like these...mostly for car applications. The caps in this picture are police car only (ventilated). It used to be that people usually added them to their Mopars because they had a set or two lying around. Fireball does an excellent set of those caps, too!

Yes, I know that Fireball Modelwork has them and I do want to order them but it would be cool if Round 2 added a set of steel wheels and dogdish hubcaps. They do have them already (even if they are very wide) in the Dodge Monaco police car kit.

On 01/12/2018 at 3:58 AM, 1972coronet said:

Let me preface by stating how ecstatic I am about the reissue of the Sweptside ! Now , on to what that MPC D-200 / LRE / et al. inhabits which has long bothered me :

- Generic B/ RB engine 

- Manual trans coupled with the aforementioned ( maybe I'm wrong ; after 1972 no more 440 / manuals ; after 1974 no more 400 / manuals --- at least in passenger cars )

Certainly , the engine and trans from the 1971 Charger ( or the Revell Dart-series ) would be a simple swap ; a Slant Six / manual is a no brainer ; and , 318/360 with either trans would be easy to do as well .

Now , what are the chances that Round2 will tool-up some hubcaps for those plain steelies from the c.1978 annual ? 

1978 Dodge brochure:

http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/ChryslerTrucksVans/1978_Trucks-Vans/1978_Dodge_Pickups/1978 Dodge Pickups-13.html

3spd standard; 4spd or auto optional.   Big block not available in the D100.