Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '78 Dodge D-100 Pickup

Casey

3 hours ago, dodgefever said:

1978 Dodge brochure:

http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/ChryslerTrucksVans/1978_Trucks-Vans/1978_Dodge_Pickups/1978 Dodge Pickups-13.html

3spd standard; 4spd or auto optional.   Big block not available in the D100.

Thanks much . I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see that the 400 and 440 were available with a manual trans. ---- I even hopped-over to Hamtramck Historical for more info (though only the Ramcharger was the only truck or van info available for 1978...) .

As a life-long resident of California , I suppose that I'm used to seeing California-only model vehicles ; catalytic converters , low-performance engines , no manual transmissions , etc. , etc .

I wouldn't worry about those wheels and tires. Back when the kit was first produced there wasn't that much available in after market wheels and tires. Now there are all sorts of different combinations that can be accessed from other kits. I would be more interested in an accurate small block or slant six.

2 hours ago, heepey said:

I would be more interested in an accurate small block or slant six.   *snip*    Now there are all sorts of different combinations that can be accessed from other kits.

Interesting. I would would be more interested in correct/accurate suspension parts and/or a separately molded frame (one which isn't molded with the cab floor and bed underside(!!), as the engine is one of the easiest parts to kitbash. The AMT '71 Duster's 340 Mopar small block and the Lindberg '64 Dodge Slant Six are both easily found, relatively cheap, and overall mostly accurate, making upgrading that aspect of the MPC D/W-series Dodge pickups relatively painless.

I am in no way suggesting Round2 should tool up an all new frame, bed, etc. for this kit. It is what it is, and you buy it knowing ahead of time it'll need a lot of work to bring it up to modern standards...or you just build and accept it as it is, warts and all.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:33 PM, Bucky said:

They are commanding healthy prices on eBay. Just saw a '78 priced at $150.

Interesting thing is after it is released the originals prices will not go down, they will just be listed as "Vintage"

I recently even saw "vintage" release of the 71 Thunderbird (same box as newer release) with a buy it now of $99.... They will sit on it awhile I think

On 12/1/2018 at 11:54 AM, Casey said:

We can only hope those 1/20 scale deep dish steel wheels are gone forever. No idea why someone at MPC thought those would be a good idea to include with a 1/25 scale kit. :wacko:

Now, a decent set of 1/25 scale six-lug (though incorrect for a D-100) Mopar steel wheels would be a welcome addition, but redundant if the stock full wheel covers are to be included.

That's, well, ridiculous:

MPC78DodgePU.jpg.1bb98de18877cbc048c507f09bc0f733.jpg

Those tires are right on track by today's standards....... LOL

08f61c52357dcc6d2503bfea790efe4d_XL.jpg

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Interesting. I would would be more interested in correct/accurate suspension parts and/or a separately molded frame (one which isn't molded with the cab floor and bed underside(!!), as the engine is one of the easiest parts to kitbash. The AMT '71 Duster's 340 Mopar small block and the Lindberg '64 Dodge Slant Six are both easily found, relatively cheap, and overall mostly accurate, making upgrading that aspect of the MPC D/W-series Dodge pickups relatively painless.

I was thinking the exact same thing while looking at Luc's posting and enjoying Cherrios this morning knowing no way would we get a separate frame or 2wd remake of this, so got to thinking what has a separate frame and is 2wd with similar size and all I could think as a possibility is van kits, so what does everyone think about modifying one to fit the truck body ??  I don't really build vans so don't have any here to try out

1 hour ago, 440 Dakota said:

I was thinking the exact same thing while looking at Luc's posting and enjoying Cherrios this morning knowing no way would we get a separate frame or 2wd remake of this, so got to thinking what has a separate frame and is 2wd with similar size and all I could think as a possibility is van kits, so what does everyone think about modifying one to fit the truck body ??  I don't really build vans so don't have any here to try out

The MPC Dodge van kits had the chassis molded to the floorpan, so that wouldn't be useful...

Edited by Rob Hall

On 3.12.2018 at 8:55 PM, 440 Dakota said:

Only modern day tooling kits that I can think of right now is the Moebius Ford pickups, they have the twin I-beam but the suspension is separate so maybe the frame itself could be used. Other toolings that are the same size is Revell 64-66 Chevys (they do have part of the cab floor molded to the frame) or maybe the AMT 60 Chevy (again, different suspension.
I have plans of using the Revell Dodge Ram VTS frame, suspension, engine and drivetrain under the LRE kit. The wheelbase on those two are quite close

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Is this the final box-art?

Could be, but it could also preliminary box art, too. Round2 displayed the Aurora Racing Scenes-like box art at that very show, which ended up being very different.

Looks like a different mini-bike than the one included with the MPC '86 El Camino, too.  Maybe Mike W. would know more.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Sure looks like poverty caps on steelies on that D100...?

Hopefully they're correct . Certainly , by c.1975 ( mid-year ) , Dodge and Plymouth hubcaps became 'generic' --- they were sans the adornments of the 1969-early-1975 caps . And , no , the fleet ( colloq. , "Police Caps" ) aren't correct , regardless of 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive ; 1/2 , 3/4 , or 1 ton .

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I'm sure they were available as an option, if not standard, but they just seem a bit out of place on a "cheap" truck. I can't blame Round2 one bit for including them, though.

Yeah, Round2 seems like they include some pad-printed tire in all their 'retro deluxe' reissues...

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm sure they were available as an option, if not standard, but they just seem a bit out of place on a "cheap" truck. I can't blame Round2 one bit for including them, though.

I just took a quick look through the '77 and '78 brochures, pretty well all the light pickups have white walls. White letter for the sportier models and 4X4s. The only black wall tires I'm seeing are on 3/4 ton and heavier work trucks.

Remember,  it was pretty hard to find a car or light duty pickup tire that didn't have a whitewall back in the '70s. Even the very cheapest vehicles came with them standard.

44 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I just took a quick look through the '77 and '78 brochures, pretty well all the light pickups have white walls. White letter for the sportier models and 4X4s. The only black wall tires I'm seeing are on 3/4 ton and heavier work trucks.

G78 x 15 blackwall tires are listed as standard for the D-100, but each builder should use whatever makes them happy. :) 

I'm more interested to see what the wheels and hubcaps look like, since the kit itself, well...

giphy.gif.974ea075e8e5c8176bbeb2358ebedab5.gif

1978dodgetruckbrochure.jpg.61cc626b9d45d41ad7c3d87af13f4029.jpg

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

G78 x 15 blackwall tires are listed as standard for the D-100, but each builder should use whatever makes them happy. :) 

I'm more interested to see what the wheels and hubcaps look like, since the kit itself, well...

Yup, says so right there. Still couldn't find any pics in the brochures of one with black wall tires. 

BTW, showing a Canadian a GIF of shinia twain is just rude. <_<

Edited by Can-Con