Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '32 Ford Sedan Delivery

Casey

Sure. Of course they come back out with that one, shortly after I bought and built an original. For years I had wanted one of these. I never thought it would see the light of day again. So, I hunted down and bought an original. Oh well. I like the model. And the Coca-Cola markings. So I may have to buy another one. 

By the way, the Buyer's Choice version above, has cover art that may make you think you were getting the Sedan Delivery version. You were not. In the that box was the version that built either a Tu-Door Sedan or a Phaeton. Despite the picture, it did not have the blanked out side panels. Or the correct Sedan Delivery rear door. 

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

By the way, the Buyer's Choice version above, has cover art that may make you think you were getting the Sedan Delivery version. You were not. In the that box was the version that built either a Tu-Door Sedan or a Phaeton. Despite the picture, it did not have the blanked out side panels. Or the correct Sedan Delivery rear door. 

Or the full-depth sedan delivery interior bucket.  The sedan had a goofy shallow interior, so it could be used to build the fenderless/channeled version also...

Bear in mind that if you want an accurate '32 Ford, this ain't it. Besides having a frame that looks nothing like a real '32, the cowl side is also too short (in height), falling somewhere between the old AMT severely sectioned version, and Revell's series of '32s which are reasonably close to correct.

NOTE: I'm NOT bashing the kit. I like it. It builds up into a really good looking model with some effort.

The Switcher bodies aren't a bad fit on Revell's '32 underpinnings either, so there's a lot of potential here.

This is how the MPC body with trimmed rear fender openings fits on the Revell fenders and frame. Some trimming below rear door will be required to get the body to mate the rear fenders properly. To be more accurate the rear door needs rounded top corners and a cowl vent needs to be added.

Kudos to whoever at Round2 was aware this body is in fact a sedan delivery, and not a panel truck, and correctly labelled the kit as such.

18 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I like the Mag wheels in that kit .

They are nice, provided they aren't any sink marks in them, especially the narrower front wheels. I have a bunch from various issues and at least 70%+ suffer from at least one sink mark, sometimes multiple. -_-

2 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

This is how the MPC body with trimmed rear fender openings fits on the Revell fenders and frame. Some trimming below rear door will be required to get the body to mate the rear fenders properly. To be more accurate the rear door needs rounded top corners and a cowl vent needs to be added.

After taking a look at how Revell's sedan body fits its fenders (and having measured and compared the dimensions of all these kits with real cars) I'd personally add some meat to the wheel cutouts on the MPC body, and extend the forward third of the lower body line to close the gap at the frame, to match the height of the Revell hood. The rear door on the MPC body may need to be shaved slightly as well, as mentioned by Phildaupho. The idea is to get the character line running down the side of the car oriented correctly, with no odd slopes or joggles.

This is the Revell sedan.

Image result for revell 32 ford sedan

To be more accurate the rear door needs rounded top corners and a cowl vent needs to be added.

32frdsdndlv.JPG

contrast of mpc tudor/sd, amt tudor and revell tudor bodies

32mpcamtrev.jpg

great reference pics on the hamb...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-new-1932-ford-sedan-delivery-thread.850255/

mike

Edited by mk11

Thanks for the mock up. I was assuming that this body was going to suffer from the same problem I found on a recently acquired 5W Switchers body. I realize the tooling is different for the roadster/5W and this SD/Sedan/Phaeton tooling, but since they were designed at the same time and with the same methodology(Switchers)

Here's the issue. It is very narrow at the cowl, but fine at the rear of the roof when compared to the Revell body. Switchers body on the left, Revell on the right

Anyway, I'm glad that the SD body doesn't have this issue.