Model Cars Magazine Forum

A-Team van vs. Rescue Van (AMT)

8 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Wait, they reworked the A Team van just to GET RID of the roof ribs? Why? Those were accurate, the smooth roof is not.

Aarrgh!

To make the body "more like the earlier versions" which didn't have the ribs.  Only the A-Team issue had them.

No big deal to add them with Plastruct strip stock, but then again I would have just left them on.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

To make the body "more like the earlier versions" which didn't have the ribs.  Only the A-Team issue had them.

No big deal to add them with Plastruct strip stock, but then again I would have just left them on.

If they would have given us the window option, I would have considered that a worthwhile trade off. Or the Open Road Mini Motorhome parts! Big hint-hint, Round 2!

That 'window' option would have been nice when I was building my daughters van using an A-Team body. I knew one version of the '85 GMC/Chevy had window recesses so they could be easily cut out. I never found which version had them, but a rerelease should include these to add easy options.

Look what I had to do ...

image.png.b4e0c975c90861e0e0a028541501dc4c.png

image.png.9001762ea9ccac9ee1eb3da8b7d9a49c.png

image.png.ffc669b295dc8e1d02d546abcbf6be3e.png

• Like 1

None of these kits ever had recessed areas or cut lines for the windows.  The pre-1975 issues all had open side panels on the body, and separate inserts (with/without window openings) that went into the body from the inside.  The early bodies had a separate hood also.  The revised body had the open side panels eliminated, round portholes added to the quarter panels, the rear door window openings eliminated, and the hood molded shut.  The A-Team van had the quarter panel and roof ribs added, sunroof and spotlight holes added to the roof, and portholes filled in. 

7 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I am just wanting to find out if the A-Team Van body is the same as the Rescue Van body. When I look at the rescue van I see 4 spots that look like where the lights go on the A-Team van. I really just need to know if the size of the roof is the same.

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

That cutout groove appears to be what would be done for the Open Road Camper?  Could be they will resurrect that one?  Still need the side windows though.

6 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

So can anybody tell me if the Dirty Donnie or any newer issues include the A Team grill, flares, or any of its specific custom parts?

Check my Photobucket link, if they don't show up in those pics i  White plastic, then the DD truck doesn't have them. I know they fixed the driver seat, it doesn't have Mr. T,  the '78-'95 bumpers and the '82-'91 grill, but can't remember on the flares, running boards, or wheels.

• 5 years later...

Bumping this thread up because I found something interesting that I need clarification on. Did the rescue van (or any of the red molded kits) keep the wheels from the A-Team kit? Reason I ask is I just dechromed the wheels from my A-Team kit and three were gray while the fourth was red! Now I did pull these from my spare wheels bin, but I could only find the one set of 4, and the only molded in red kit I have is the Lil Red Express D100.IMG_3038.thumb.jpeg.2b946d61cd86250ecabc5b2847e1633f.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Bumping this thread up because I found something interesting that I need clarification on.

*The red one from your parts box*.... Might that have been from an old MPC GTO that was molded in red?   ....just a thought .

18 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Bumping this thread up because I found something interesting that I need clarification on. Did the rescue van (or any of the red molded kits) keep the wheels from the A-Team kit? Reason I ask is I just dechromed the wheels from my A-Team kit and three were gray while the fourth was red! Now I did pull these from my spare wheels bin, but I could only find the one set of 4, and the only molded in red kit I have is the Lil Red Express D100.

My Rescue Van definitely does not have any of the A-Team specific parts with it.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Khils said:

*The red one from your parts box*.... Might that have been from an old MPC GTO that was molded in red?   ....just a thought .

These are the only 4 wheels I have like this that are exact matches of each other. My other thought was possibly it was thrown in the box as replacement for a lost one since I got this kit from eBay a long while back, but I don’t have the chrome sprue anymore to check.

Edit: After looking at a parts tree of said GTO kit on Ebay, those wheels do look very similar to the ones from the van kit, so your idea @Khils may be correct along with mine of throwing it in the box as replacement.

Edited by Jordan White