Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some talk on car movies.

8 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

"The Getaway" from 1972.  Steve McQueen, cars and a great heist movie. Win-win-win!

getaway-1972.jpg

McQueen at his best (as good as Bullitt, if not better). Great heist story. Great love story (much better than that other one she was in!).  And one of the very best gun movies of all time. But I don't think of it as a "car movie." Yeah, a couple of car action/chase sequences, but I can't think of a single car from the whole movie that made me say, "Wow, I gotta build a model of THAT!" B)

I have always liked The Last Run from 1971, has a rare BMW 503 in it for most of the movie:
http://imcdb.org/movie.php?id=67329
i001553.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067329/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Storyline from IMDB:
A former getaway driver from Chicago (George C. Scott) has retired to a peaceful life in a Portuguese fishing village. He is asked to pull off one last job, involving driving a dangerous crook and his girl-friend to France. However, the job turns out to be a double-cross and the trio are pursued back to Portugal where they make one last stand on the coast while the enemy assassins attempt to gun them down.

Lots of driving in that movie (basicly a road movie) and cool european cars.

Edited by Atmobil

Watching the 1946 noir thriller Crack-Up on TCM.   Not a whole lot to do with cars,  but there's a scene where an old man is asked to identify a car, and he snaps back that he can't identify anything made after 1925 because they all look the same.   Just goes to show how long people have been singing that particular tune.

Don't laugh, but I'll throw "Pinchcliffe Grand Prix" into the ring. It is a 1975 stop-motion animated full feature film revolving around building and racing this great racecar. 

YouTube only seem to have the first half of the short film version:

However, the band Multicyde was permitted to use heavily from the race sequences for their "Not for the dough" music video.  Enjoy!

The full movie is highly recommended though.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, Atmobil said:

vlcsnap-2015-04-01-16h48m33s52.png*
The summer of 1958 must have been a cold one, the trees have not even grown leafs yet...
From the movie Return to Macon County from 1974.
And yes, I still need to finish the model of that 57 Chevy.

Love the flames.

First mention of nitrous in a film

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Watching the 1946 noir thriller Crack-Up on TCM...

Thanks for the reminder!  Forgot to set the DVR for that yesterday, but I'm recording it right now.  I'm really glad TCM re-runs "Noir Alley" at 10 AM Sun. morning.

For vintage car-spotting, vintage L.A. architecture and just plain weird film-noir fun, one of the best movies is "Kiss Me Deadly" from 1955.  Link below to the ImcDB page.  That movie has an amazing bunch of vintage sports cars: '51 Jaguar XK-120, a Jag Mark V Drophead Coupe, and even a Hillman Minx.  The movie was also the film debut of a very young Cloris Leachman.

The pic below shows Mike Hammer's '54 Corvette under the Angel's Flight funicular railway.  That's the old Bunker Hill district of Los Angeles. It was re-developed out of existence in the 1960s and the railway moved a short distance away. In 1955, Bunker Hill was still a low-rent area that attracted retirees and other people of limited means to its cheap boarding houses.  One kid who grew up dirt-poor in Bunker Hill was Jack "Dragnet" Webb.

https://www.imcdb.org/m48261.html

kmd.jpg

14 hours ago, lysleder said:

Don't laugh, but I'll throw "Pinchcliffe Grand Prix" into the ring. It is a 1975 stop-motion animated full feature film revolving around building and racing this great racecar. 

YouTube only seem to have the first half of the short film version:

However, the band Multicyde was permitted to use heavily from the race sequences for their "Not for the dough" music video.  Enjoy!

The full movie is highly recommended though.

One of the best movies ever made in Norway, seen it many times.
Here is a clip that contains part of the race scene:

A clip from the Norwegian car show Autofil with the real full scale replica:

images?imageId=6977700&width=1000&height

On 11/29/2018 at 7:01 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Also, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, World (1962) has lots of cars that are now old and some are classics.

I just looked up IMCDB for the cars used in this movie. There are a LOT of building possibilities if you're a fan of it.

Most of these cars are easily available as kits, others are Johans but still findable on Ebay. The two trucks are either scratchbuilds or resin.

RW2UHEI.thumb.png.1eaff129ce0fa1ccadb97b7b2eb05695.png

i020263.jpg.34ad7e982828b9fd36cd68786c01a5f3.jpg

i020255.jpg.37f3af97698a1b2e8c981833cfe59229.jpg

playlist020110719154126_4665.jpg.da6fea8003de0e4f471538a14fbf1ff6.jpg

i020267.jpg.2ac2431994e1cadc9c038a0abcad6299.jpg

i020261.jpg.7b1bd15ec8f892ef3308bf6d751eac15.jpg

i060983.jpg.c4cdf691647770cbe72828f77cb30d4e.jpg

i020259.jpg.56f49ff446751a3ce6190beabae509d6.jpg

i020265.jpg.e2e1c167ddc8e17021c4ba9f3a7c0343.jpgi006490.jpg.e92d4222efd18af5343eb5f047a05b0e.jpg

i061024.jpg.20b55e31b4e8de7fceec461cc1718ec5.jpg

The movie is fun not only for all the old cars, but because it's a "who's who" of famous comedians from that time period. 

Kinda surprised Smokey and the Bandit hasn't been mentioned in this thread. The Trans Am is actually listed as a character in the credits  (at least in the the 2nd film). And I will throw out The Great Race with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. Some cool brass era cars. One other thing...someone commented on the cars being shiny and pristine in "period" films. Has anyone noticed that whenever Cuba is depicted on film, it seems everyone is driving immaculate mid-50s convertibles instead of the cobbled-together death trap sedans they have in reality?

great-race.jpg

Someone missed an opportunity releasing kits of the cars from The Great Race.

If older cars are your thing,  British period dramas are great for lots of vintage iron.  Downton Abbey had an episode set at Brooklands, though the actual racing was at Goodwood.

1000?cb=20151102010125

More from that episode https://jalopnik.com/all-the-great-old-race-cars-from-that-downton-abbey-rac-1760172539

Edited by Richard Bartrop

12 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

Kinda surprised Smokey and the Bandit hasn't been mentioned in this thread. The Trans Am is actually listed as a character in the credits  (at least in the the 2nd film). And I will throw out The Great Race with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. Some cool brass era cars. One other thing...someone commented on the cars being shiny and pristine in "period" films. Has anyone noticed that whenever Cuba is depicted on film, it seems everyone is driving immaculate mid-50s convertibles instead of the cobbled-together death trap sedans they have in reality?

great-race.jpg

Well, some movies are too easy to bring up, it is the obscure or I didn't think of that movies that are more fun to talk about. The great race is a great example. I totally forgot about it! 

Now this is a bit obscure to most...

17 hours ago, dodgefever said:

The problem with car movies is that movie and TV people seem to like wrecking cars.    Maybe not such a big deal when the cars were new (cf. Bullitt), but how many Mercs were used up for Cobra, or Dodges in Death Proof? 

I agree. When I was teaching , "Gone in 60 Seconds"  came out. Several of my students  ask me if I was  going to see it. I told them no, any film the wrecked that many cars held no interest to me. :wacko: