Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some talk on car movies.

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, some movies are too easy to bring up, it is the obscure or I didn't think of that movies that are more fun to talk about. The great race is a great example. I totally forgot about it! 

Now this is a bit obscure to most...

Ah! Got it! Then how about these obscure and very diverse gems? There was a model kit of the car from Fireball 500. Rendezvous is just plain cool. Grandview USA is one of my favorites for lots of reasons. I would also suggest that (most of) the James Bond films are "car films". There have been several diecast "Cars of Bond" series produced, and let's face it, the reveal of the DB5 in Goldfinger is always a goosebumps moment. 

rWYjx4ACU5H9q8EoBFPRsWfqavc.jpg

Rendezvous_poster.jpg

220px-GrandviewUSA1984Cover.jpg

I'm one of those car guys who wishes the studios would get their movie cars more "era correct" when shooting a period piece. It's sort of like all the rockabilly kids, who weren't around when the era was happening, trying to emulate what they think the fifties looked like. Oh well...…

On another note, the movie Mad Max sure made Max's car a star, no one has posted that car yet, but it should likely be included. Having said all this, my own personal car ( a '71 Mach 1 Mustang ) was used some years back in a movie called "Bounty Killer", driven by the lead character "Mary Death". Photos here..... 

mary death 5.png

Bounty Killer Mustang 6.jpg

th0RZ6B3CA.jpg

1 hour ago, spike morelli said:

. It's sort of like all the rockabilly kids, who weren't around when the era was happening, trying to emulate what they think the fifties looked like. Oh well...

That scene is rife with people who get it all wrong ! When I'd show these idiots my dad's 1955 high school annual , they'd scoff . Come on already ! You guys can't even get the shoes correct --- Converse were A LOT different in appearance back then ! Even at that , tennis shoes weren't fashionable at that time ! Don't get me started on chicks with so much as ONE tattoo !

Same goes for 60's : not everyone wore long hair , wild coloured clothes , and purple glasses !

mary death 5.png

Bounty Killer Mustang 6.jpg

th0RZ6B3CA.jpg

On 2018-12-02 at 10:22 PM, Atmobil said:

The flames are one of the things that has stopped me from finishing of the model, here is a quick picture of how it sits today:
IMG_20181202_221207.jpg

Well, since I know that you (and me) have a friend that has a bit of knowledge when it comes to airbrushing, you haven't considered asking him for help with them? That way you could get them completely right too instead of searching for decals that is almost right...

20 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

Ah! Got it! Then how about these obscure and very diverse gems? There was a model kit of the car from Fireball 500...

"Fireball 500" was the big American-International car movie for 1966.  For 1967, it was "Thunder Alley."  That one also had a MOPAR theme car, the Thunder Charger, that was also turned into an MPC model kit.  My favorite car from both movies is a 1960 Dodge Seneca 2-door sedan.  It starred as a moonshine car in "Fireball 500" and as a stock-car racer in "Thunder Alley."

ThunderCharger.jpg

ThunderCharger2.jpg

60_dod_sen.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error2

On 12/2/2018 at 6:12 PM, AMC ROB said:

Kinda surprised Smokey and the Bandit hasn't been mentioned in this thread. The Trans Am is actually listed as a character in the credits  (at least in the the 2nd film).

Absolutely fun movie, probably one of my favorites. 

I also think Hooper is great for the same reason. Everybody was having a great time filming it, and it shows!

Director Hal Needham was at the top of his game with these two films.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

7 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Absolutely fun movie, probably one of my favorites. 

I also think Hooper is great for the same reason. Everybody was having a great time filming it, and it shows!

Director Hal Needham was at the top of his game with these two films.

Ok, let's get it over with...

3 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Image result for red line 7000

Since this thread started I have been checking the posts for a movie I saw on Lost Drive-In in the 90's but had forgotten the name, and I think it may have been Redline 7000. The scene that sticks with me is one where a guy is driving a Cobra Daytona as a road car, and at one point he is driving down the road and suddenly turns around and goes back where he came from. In doing so he jams the front aluminium body work into a ditch or embankment of some sort, probably crumpling it.

At least, this is how I remembered it after many years. Can anyone confirm? I remember thinking at the time, "if they only knew what that old race car would be worth some day". The absurdity scene has stuck with me for years.

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

Since this thread started I have been checking the posts for a movie I saw on Lost Drive-In in the 90's but had forgotten the name, and I think it may have been Redline 7000. The scene that sticks with me is one where a guy is driving a Cobra Daytona as a road car, and at one point he is driving down the road and suddenly turns around and goes back where he came from. In doing so he jams the front aluminium body work into a ditch or embankment of some sort, probably crumpling it.

At least, this is how I remembered it after many years. Can anyone confirm? I remember thinking at the time, "if they only knew what that old race car would be worth some day". The absurdity scene has stuck with me for years.

Maybe not what you are referring to, but that exact scenario happened in an episode of the Monkees TV show...

2139.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

2136.jpg

Watch the Elvis movie "Viva Las Vegas" and you'll see about a billion dollars worth of cars, at current prices.  In the garage pic below, the blue car #7 is a '62 Elva Mk. 6 Maserati.  The Ferrari is a '58 250GT Berlinetta. One of the several Cobras used in the movie is in the background, along with a C2 Corvette coupe. In the outside pic, the little white car is a Daimler Dart SP 250. It had a Hemi V-8, but it was a really SMALL Hemi V8.

vlv.jpg

vlv2.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

4 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

Maybe not what you are referring to, but that exact scenario happened in an episode of the Monkees TV show...

hqdefault.jpg

I just realized how rare it is to see a pic of the original MM without the ugly top on it! :blink:

Two more to look for on TCM: Johnny Dark (1954); Tony Curtis, Piper Laurie and a ton of early sports cars in glorious Technicolor:

And 1955's Cell 2455, Death Row starring the great badass actor William Campbell in one of his best roles; some excellent car scenes with a '38 LaSalle convertible sedan ratracing around the Hollywood Hills, plus two very good chase-and-crash scenes (rare in '50s movies):

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 4:46 PM, dodgefever said:

The problem with car movies is that movie and TV people seem to like wrecking cars.    Maybe not such a big deal when the cars were new (cf. Bullitt), but how many Mercs were used up for Cobra, or Dodges in Death Proof? 

or Diplomats in 'Short Time'...   :P

mike

Hey Jesse - you being from San Diego reminded me of this one:

You may also recall a very mediocre comedy called My Man Adam shot there in 1985; I remember it because they wanted to shoot a chase scene that would run through Chicano Park. When the steering committee (including some of my fellow Aztec dancers) found out they wanted to drive through the park and send cars leaping through the quiosco, the committee sent them packing.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

16 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

A quick Google search indicated that this is the scene from Redline 7000. So...dunno.

cobra_coupe.jpg

Hhmmm… very interesting. It could be the right scene. I'm going to have to dig this movie up and have a watch. I thought the Daytona was able to leave the site on its own, but memories have a way of morphing over the years. Nonetheless, seeing such a car treated so carelessly as in the pictured scene is a real trip, nearly worthless as it was back in the day.

6 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hey Jesse - you being from San Diego reminded me of this one:

You may also recall a very mediocre comedy called My Man Adam shot there in 1985; I remember it because they wanted to shoot a chase scene that would run through Chicano Park. When the steering committee (including some of my fellow Aztec dancers) found out they wanted to drive through the park and send cars leaping through the quiosco, the committee sent them packing.

Oh wow! Yeah, I do remember both movies! One of my aunts had to sit in traffic during the filming of Scavenger Hunt! She lives in the North Park area near Balboa Park. And the My Man Adam was pretty quickly forgotten. 

On 03/12/2018 at 9:30 PM, spike morelli said:

... It's sort of like all the rockabilly kids, who weren't around when the era was happening, trying to emulate what they think the fifties looked like. Oh well...…

Lolz

My parents are like this. They absolutely HATE the Austin Powers movies. 

"We're English and we were in England in the 60s, and it wasn't like that at all."

And to an extent, I'm seeing that now with this retro-80s thing that goes on now. These hipsters in their early 20s think they know the 80s. Well they don't! Ugh, I'm turning into my parents....

:P