Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Jeep Gladiator

HomerS

I do like how they look, but they, like the JK and now JL Wranglers, are just too huge for my liking. As an example, here's the promo pic of one towing a Grand Wagoneer, which tends to be considered "Full Sized" and is often considered a FSJ.

jeep-gladiator-pickup-02.jpg

I do wonder how long before I see one being driven by a soccer mom with a matching purse like I saw about 10 years ago at a Subway near my former employer.  A soccer mom parked her Rescue Green 4dr JK  Rubi next to my XJ and when she was in line I noticed her purse was almost the exact same shade of metallic green:rolleyes:

Gawd, that looks HUGE!

I've rented Jeeps in Ouray CO, and Moab Utah.  I admired their capability.  But they were 2 doors, which is important for rugged rock crawling.  And good thing I rented in Moab, it must have broken a tie rod because it shimmied bad after doing Moab Rim.  There is also a new used Jeep dealer in town, with a nice selection of modified Jeeps, glad I can't afford them.  LOL

This will end up being another $50,000+ pickup truck that has more luxury amenities than real usefulness. Target buyers will be families wanting something different to pull their small camper or the occasional Home Depot run to pick up some plants and 5 bags of mulch.

I would rather track down an old Scrambler and refurbish it for a lot less and have something more to what it should be.

6 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I do like how they look, but they, like the JK and now JL Wranglers, are just too huge for my liking. As an example, here's the promo pic of one towing a Grand Wagoneer, which tends to be considered "Full Sized" and is often considered a FSJ.

As with each generation of Jeeps, a new generation is bigger than the previous.  The new JL Wrangler is bigger than the previous JK etc.   It's interesting, the old Grand Wagoneer was considered full size in it's day, but it's actually smaller than my WK2 Grand Cherokee...

I like the new Gladiator--basically a lengthened Wrangler Unlimited with a large trunk. 

Well it's about time Jeep released the Gladiator.Its a great looking truck.However I prefer the two door model.But still,I'll stick to my 2000 XJ.Thats a great truck,hardly ever gives me any problems.Well except I need a heater core.Arrggg:o.Got to get that done really soon,cause it's getting real cold here in NY.

IMG_5615.JPG

6 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well it's about time Jeep released the Gladiator.Its a great looking truck.However I prefer the two door model.But still,I'll stick to my 2000 XJ.Thats a great truck,hardly ever gives me any problems.Well except I need a heater core.Arrggg:o.Got to get that done really soon,cause it's getting real cold here in NY.

As far as I know, they aren't going to make a 2dr version, but it's been rumored.  So far only the 4dr has been announced. 

Just now, NYLIBUD said:

Oh I didn't know that.Guess I should've read some more..But I still like the two door better.And if Jeep was smart,they should release a two door version first.

Problem is, the 4dr would outsell a 2dr 10 to 1 probably...just like with the Wrangler today. 

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Problem is, the 4dr would outsell a 2dr 10 to 1 probably...just like with the Wrangler today. 

I'm pretty sure they will sell like crazy.I love Jeep's,real Jeep's,like my 2000 Cherokee,lifted 6,1/2 inches,running on 35s.But I have often wondered why they didn't release a so call "Wrangler Pick up",much sooner.There were rumors for years about the release of the Gladiator..I just don't know why it took so long.

5 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

IMG_5615.JPG

Now I like that, then again, I'm also own a XJ and it's the last surviving one of the 5 that we've owned since '92B)

That's not a truck , it's a Jeep with a 4' baggage compartment .

Needs a longer bed , you have to put down the tailgate to haul a dirt bike ? Really ?

what little person is the back door for ?

and , yes , it will be astronomically priced .

reminds me of that Chevy abortion , the Avalanche , pick up by committee , yuck !

Either the 4 door or the 2-door will sell well, but I have to agree with the others who prefer the 2-door body style. We have an '09 JK that sees more than it's fair share of off road use and some rock climbing during the summer months. The 4-door model with it's much longer wheel base may run into some issues if you get into the woods and some of the tighter trails and climbing. The longer wheel base means that it could become high centered or unable to maneuver in tight places. We have seen this to a lesser extent with the 4-door JK's on the trail. They are capable in every respect except the real tight places were they sometimes have to do a couple of short tight turns, kind of like trying to get into a tight parking spot in a parking lot. They can do it but they have to work harder at it. The Gladiator with 4-doors you can see the body sides between the rear doors and the rear wheel openings just how much longer the wheel base will be. This will make it that much larder to park and put it at a very big disadvantage off road.  

Wheelbase is a little more than 19" longer than the 4-door Wrangler. So yes it's longer. 

And if you want to carry dirtbikes, you have to put the tailgate down on most half tons anyway, so this is no different than the design norm already out there.

A lot of people forget that you've been able to buy a Jeep Wrangler pickup for at least 10 years now. 

The AEV Brute is a factory sanctioned truck conversion, available with full FCA warranty across North America. I've driven one, and it's pretty amazing, and was no harder to park than the 4-door Wrangler I had at the time.

brute 1.jpg

brute 2.jpg

WP_20141205_12_39_04_Pro.jpg

I don't know,it's sort of looking like a "mall rat truck".The dimensions on the four doors,looks odd to me.Just my opinion.And again,is Jeep going to release a two door Gladiator?I keep getting different answers on line.:angry:?But still,I'll stick with my 2000 Cherokee,which has around 284,000+ miles on it.And no rust at all.Very clean XJ.The Cherokees are Jeeps greatest SUV of all time,and maybe that goes for every car maker's SUV,having the XJs be the very best.  RIP XJ Cherokee Sport,1984-2001.:(.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:03 PM, NYLIBUD said:

I don't know,it's sort of looking like a "mall rat truck".The dimensions on the four doors,looks odd to me.Just my opinion.And again,is Jeep going to release a two door Gladiator?I keep getting different answers on line.:angry:?But still,I'll stick with my 2000 Cherokee,which has around 284,000+ miles on it.And no rust at all.Very clean XJ.The Cherokees are Jeeps greatest SUV of all time,and maybe that goes for every car maker's SUV,having the XJs be the very best.  RIP XJ Cherokee Sport,1984-2001.:(.

As far as I've heard, no two door. I've talked with my FCA fleet rep about Jeeps extensively. 

As cool as it would be, I don't think it would sell enough to justify the extra development. TO be honest, I'm surprised they kept the two door when they went to the JL platform.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:29 AM, SfanGoch said:

Add a clamshell lid on the back and you have a HUMMV clone.

Sort of the same train of thought: it reminds me of the HUMMER H3 Alpha (male) monstrosity. :D It will do well with the testosterone-challenged crowd until the gas prices get up to $5/gal. at which time it will fade away the way H3  did.

2010-H3T-Hummer-Truck-Alpha-5.3L-V8-Luxu

Edited by peteski