Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Better Grill

Very nice!!! What kind of prices are you looking at on these?? I’d be interested in the 68 style. My wife and I have a 68 Ranger that we used as our get a way vehicle at our wedding! Would like to build a model of our truck!

D5485FE2-42C8-4714-8EE4-E3D166432C06.jpeg.334fa9d3bc67d96310f11be8c4b33a03.jpeg

6B57E7D1-EBD1-49CC-9747-916C17F59A9A.jpeg.994c727a9ee98995740a3e6a422b938d.jpeg

Edited by DrKerry

7 hours ago, DrKerry said:

What kind of prices are you looking at on these??

Thanks Kerry, That 68 looks great!  I hope you build a replica of it!   I am looking at just a flat $15 (U.S.) each shipping included providing shipping charges don't exceed $3 or $4 otherwise I will have to rethink the prices. Multiple grills won't need shipping charges on each so after the first one they will be $10 each per package. I hope to get set up for paypal for ease of ordering.  I am new to this and am not sure if I should invest in a website or just use e-mail or how I should go about it.  I can only attend to this on weekends as I have a fulltime job. I looked online and cast grills are averaging $15 $16 each plus shipping so I think my prices will be fair.  It takes 1.5 hrs to print one of these grills so hopefully I will be able to keep up with demand.  I am not looking to get rich from this...only to make it worth the time and supplies used.  I started making these and other parts for other kits for my own needs but realized many modelers had the same wants and needs as me, so I hope to help out the community.  The printed grills are very clean and only require removing the supports which leave these (see picture) behind and a quick light sanding takes them right off.  The "layers" from printing are pretty much invisible but a light coat of primer should take care of those as mentioned earlier in this thread. I will paint one with primer and Molotow chrome to see if there are any issues before I offer them. I want people to know ahead of time what work maybe involved in getting great results.

resized.jpg

resized2.jpg

resized3.jpg

5 hours ago, mk11 said:

Maybe a thin sheet (.010) of plastic on the back of the bars would decrease the fragility for casting?

Thanks Mike, I did think of doing something like that but I think printing them gives better results and far less work for the modeler using them.  It still may come to that if the printing doesn't work out.

13 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Thanks Kerry, That 68 looks great!  I hope you build a replica of it!   I am looking at just a flat $15 (U.S.) each shipping included providing shipping charges don't exceed $3 or $4 otherwise I will have to rethink the prices. Multiple grills won't need shipping charges on each so after the first one they will be $10 each per package. I hope to get set up for paypal for ease of ordering.  I am new to this and am not sure if I should invest in a website or just use e-mail or how I should go about it.  I can only attend to this on weekends as I have a fulltime job. I looked online and cast grills are averaging $15 $16 each plus shipping so I think my prices will be fair.  It takes 1.5 hrs to print one of these grills so hopefully I will be able to keep up with demand.  I am not looking to get rich from this...only to make it worth the time and supplies used.  I started making these and other parts for other kits for my own needs but realized many modelers had the same wants and needs as me, so I hope to help out the community.  The printed grills are very clean and only require removing the supports which leave these (see picture) behind and a quick light sanding takes them right off.  The "layers" from printing are pretty much invisible but a light coat of primer should take care of those as mentioned earlier in this thread. I will paint one with primer and Molotow chrome to see if there are any issues before I offer them. I want people to know ahead of time what work maybe involved in getting great results.

resized.jpg

resized2.jpg

resized3.jpg

Very kool! That would clean up pretty easily like you say! 

• 2 months later...

Hi Matt,  I have been fine tuning and communicating with MK11 to correct some issues.  They are pretty much finished but just need a test fit.  My plan is to test one this weekend for fit and accuracy.  I took a short break from these and focussed on my GMC stuff for a bit but I am anxious to get these done.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Matt T. said:

Bump (with anticipation). 

Hey Matt,  I have them pretty much ready to go except I am still having fit issues. I corresponded with MK11 and hopefully got the bezels corrected. There is a little work involved in getting a good fit as the cab has an excessive curvature and the grills are printed flat.  They flex a little to rap to some curve but its tricky to not get a "smiley face" appearance without removing some of the curve. That is what has been delaying these things.  I pretty much ground off most of the lip right under the hood and shaved some from the radiator area on the cab and its so close its not even funny.  You can see the comparison in the pictures of the cab I modified to the untouched cab.  Its very doable at this point but I have been trying to get them to work with minimal mods to the cab and will continue to work on them.  In the next few weeks I will be able to work more on them as I am off work for the next 3 months.  If you need some right now, I can send some...just send me a PM and we can work out a deal.  Keep in mind these are 3d printed and will require some fine sanding around the bezels, especially if you are going to chrome them. The pics are all non sanded pieces...straight out of the printer after they hardened a little.

Test fitted the kit headlight to see if it works.

IMG_0508.thumb.JPG.7b0d2507d9b3a1badec20c5fcc8483d2.JPG

mods to cab and cab comparisons 

IMG_0113small.jpg.22d1fbd5188dc2b99188a2a41989ec19.jpgIMG_0116small.jpg.be9777420f5112feea44e2137d4fe74e.jpgIMG_0115small.jpg.4bc358ba97ef074d8772636af8e48e47.jpg

You can see they are close but not quite fitting smooth...a little push and they are there. These pics show them just resting in place and are not glued in!

69 Ranger

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.82915192a0d99d1035fb20c330646ce4.JPG

IMG_0562.thumb.JPG.49e8f30a16a0da607ba7c3f619258578.JPG

67 grill

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.42a022cda615885be38656aebcaf5a37.JPG

IMG_0568.thumb.JPG.ccf4803cc94500a19b74a6c3aad993e5.JPG

68-69 plain

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.9750e2fa5919cff0023ee92052d56404.JPG

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.09ec36ca834f94841d90e75a70dd6468.JPG

I think the headlight area still needs some attention as the headlight lens itself seems a tad bit small. The bezels were measured from a 1:1 so I know they are good.  Let me know what you want to do and thanks for your patience.

Hi Bill.  

Thanks for the detailed update. The grilles look great! I don’t need them ASAP, and am fine waiting a little longer while you fine-tune the fit.  

I am just happy to see that the project continues to progress. Many thanks to you and MK11 for sticking with it. These are much-needed parts that will greatly improve the appearance of the Moebius kits!

I’ll be ordering one of each grille. 

Matt

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, bill lanfear said:

Hey Matt,  I have them pretty much ready to go except I am still having fit issues. I corresponded with MK11 and hopefully got the bezels corrected. There is a little work involved in getting a good fit as the cab has an excessive curvature and the grills are printed flat.  They flex a little to rap to some curve but its tricky to not get a "smiley face" appearance without removing some of the curve. That is what has been delaying these things.  I pretty much ground off most of the lip right under the hood and shaved some from the radiator area on the cab and its so close its not even funny.  You can see the comparison in the pictures of the cab I modified to the untouched cab.  Its very doable at this point but I have been trying to get them to work with minimal mods to the cab and will continue to work on them.  In the next few weeks I will be able to work more on them as I am off work for the next 3 months.  If you need some right now, I can send some...just send me a PM and we can work out a deal.  Keep in mind these are 3d printed and will require some fine sanding around the bezels, especially if you are going to chrome them. The pics are all non sanded pieces...straight out of the printer after they hardened a little.

Test fitted the kit headlight to see if it works.

IMG_0508.thumb.JPG.7b0d2507d9b3a1badec20c5fcc8483d2.JPG

mods to cab and cab comparisons 

IMG_0113small.jpg.22d1fbd5188dc2b99188a2a41989ec19.jpgIMG_0116small.jpg.be9777420f5112feea44e2137d4fe74e.jpgIMG_0115small.jpg.4bc358ba97ef074d8772636af8e48e47.jpg

You can see they are close but not quite fitting smooth...a little push and they are there. These pics show them just resting in place and are not glued in!

69 Ranger

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.82915192a0d99d1035fb20c330646ce4.JPG

IMG_0562.thumb.JPG.49e8f30a16a0da607ba7c3f619258578.JPG

67 grill

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.42a022cda615885be38656aebcaf5a37.JPG

IMG_0568.thumb.JPG.ccf4803cc94500a19b74a6c3aad993e5.JPG

68-69 plain

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.9750e2fa5919cff0023ee92052d56404.JPG

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.09ec36ca834f94841d90e75a70dd6468.JPG

I think the headlight area still needs some attention as the headlight lens itself seems a tad bit small. The bezels were measured from a 1:1 so I know they are good.  Let me know what you want to do and thanks for your patience.

Looking good!!! I'm still wanting to get one or two from you!! Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to!!

On 5/24/2019 at 10:15 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

I think the latest versions are closer to the grill in the photo of the real truck further up the page.  There is a significant taper from the outside of the headlight enclosure to the lamp itself.  Perhaps a bit more in that area.  Other than that it looks pretty good!

Thanks,   I worked on the taper you mentioned last night as I agree and think that is why the headlight seems small...we will see when I print one out if that cures it.

2 hours ago, dodgefever said:

That looks 1000 times better than the kit part.   I'll be a customer when it's ready.  I'd love to see a correct '72 grille as well, if anyone feels like doing one.

Thanks, and looking forward to doing business with you, I will try to address the 72 grill issues eventually as I have a pretty good grasp on the sizing, cab issues, etc now so it should go quick once I iron out the fit issues and accuracy of the 67-69 grills. I am on a 2 month vacation from work now so I will be getting these wrapped up real soon!

9 hours ago, gui_tarzan said:

Bill, I don't want to talk out of place but when you get that done it should be cast in resin. You can get a LOT more out of it if you want to sell it than printing them each time someone wants one. 

Agreed!! 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:21 AM, gui_tarzan said:

Bill, I don't want to talk out of place but when you get that done it should be cast in resin. You can get a LOT more out of it if you want to sell it than printing them each time someone wants one. 

On 6/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, DrKerry said:

Agreed!! 

Thanks guys and yes that was considered and attempted but they are just too thin and fragile to get a consistent product from my limited casting abilities.  After making a mold and a dozen attempts, I only got 3 that made it out of the mold in one piece, so I scrapped that idea.  I appreciate the considerations though!  

12 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Thanks guys and yes that was considered and attempted but they are just too thin and fragile to get a consistent product from my limited casting abilities.  After making a mold and a dozen attempts, I only got 3 that made it out of the mold in one piece, so I scrapped that idea.  I appreciate the considerations though!  

True, never thought about how delicate the grille area would be!!