Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Better Grill

I am ready to announce the 67-69 Ford grills for the Moebius kits.  I have put together with my 16 year daughter a website to market the Ford grills along with some other goodies.  The grills are not perfect but are as close as possible and require some miner sanding for a good fit. The website is at this link:  https://www.rookieresin.com/    

My daughter and I are new at the whole website thing so I hope everything is working properly and such.  I have several items still in the makings and you will see a lot of "coming soon" stuff but the grills are as ready as they are going to be.  I want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding as I worked on these over several months.  A special thanks to MK11 (Mike) for his help on accuracy and measurements.  Thanks also to those that gave some pointers.  I hope to have a customer gallery of finished projects with my parts on the website so feel free to send pics to the e-mail. 

2 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Parts look good.  Is there any chance of offering first class mail on international orders?   I had a few items in my cart, but $35 shipping kills it for me, unfortunately.

Stu, I will look into that cause yeah that's a bit high.  Sorry for that, the shipping thing is a challenge to figure out for international.  I will be in touch about it.

Thanks Mike,  I wasn't planning on the floor as it can easily be done with balsa or hobby wood pieces.  I am planning on a full tailgate and can do a front header panel.  If demands call for it, I could maybe do something for the floor. or a whole resin bed possibly.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:04 PM, bill lanfear said:

Thanks Mike,  I wasn't planning on the floor as it can easily be done with balsa or hobby wood pieces.  I am planning on a full tailgate and can do a front header panel.  If demands call for it, I could maybe do something for the floor. or a whole resin bed possibly.

Considering the Revell kit has the bed molded as one piece, not sure how to replicate the front header and floor with butchering up a kit bed. I am thinking if you had a resin one piece bed or even if you had it as 5 pieces (2 sides, header, floor and tailgate), it might be a better seller, and I know I would buy one or two myself.

2 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Considering the Revell kit has the bed molded as one piece, not sure how to replicate the front header and floor with butchering up a kit bed. I am thinking if you had a resin one piece bed or even if you had it as 5 pieces (2 sides, header, floor and tailgate), it might be a better seller, and I know I would buy one or two myself.

I can see if I can do something for this,  I started a header panel and of course the tailgate is about ready.  The floor probably wouldn't be too bad so I will look into it, Thanks Mike

53 minutes ago, R.J said:

A set of this style west coast mirror and this type dually wheels are needed badly to be made

Hi Roger, I am planning to do those style of mirrors for my 66 Ford 1 ton.  For the the wheels, could you get me some better pics.  Are they 5 hole 6 lug, 8 lug??  Here is a pic of the Ford wheels I just finished which are similar.

IMG_0770.thumb.JPG.0cee99e572b93f18e92cf9096632ac5a.JPG 

Edited by bill lanfear

I glued the '67 grille to a cab today and I'll tell you, it was a pretty exciting moment for me.

Great work on these Bill. I am sure that I speak for many when I say thank you for your efforts to create these.

As suggested, I cut up a pharmacy bottle and used it for the turn signals. They are the perfect depth, and I got them in snug without using glue. Headlights from the kit fit perfectly. 

I am excited to get this finished up and share the completed photos.

IMG_6726.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

Truck looks great Jim!  Its the first time I have seen my grill in a finished fashion! You did a great job bringing it to life!  The prescription bottle I mentioned was a darker orange (cough syrup) but the lighter color looks good too!  Can't wait to see this build finished!

I ordered the grille today Bill as I'm very impressed! As I mentioned to you and I'll tell others, I'm not much of a truck guy as cars are mostly my thing. I bought two of the Moebius trucks ('69 and the '70), and I paid no attention to the grille and that went past me.

Now that it's been pointed out what's wrong with it, I can't unsee it. :blink:

There's some other things about the cab itself I'd like to change when the time comes, but the grille looks terrific and I put in an order for one not long ago. Thanks!

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:11 PM, bill lanfear said:

Hi Roger, I am planning to do those style of mirrors for my 66 Ford 1 ton.  For the the wheels, could you get me some better pics.  Are they 5 hole 6 lug, 8 lug??  Here is a pic of the Ford wheels I just finished which are similar.

IMG_0770.thumb.JPG.0cee99e572b93f18e92cf9096632ac5a.JPG 

4 hole 8 lug wheels

chevy dually2.jpg

Bill, I got the grille yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This is one of the nicest open grille castings I've seen!

Here's a quick pic............

P1016649.thumb.JPG.80e4fb0b751a0f9443a92c0c92bfd3c2.JPG

Just a very small, tiny bit of clean up in the grille slots...............that's it! Thanks so much and please keep up the TERRIFIC work! B)

On 7/20/2019 at 12:17 AM, MrObsessive said:

Bill, I got the grille yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This is one of the nicest open grille castings I've seen!

Here's a quick pic............

P1016649.thumb.JPG.80e4fb0b751a0f9443a92c0c92bfd3c2.JPG

Just a very small, tiny bit of clean up in the grille slots...............that's it! Thanks so much and please keep up the TERRIFIC work! B)

Thanks Bill for the kind words...glad you like the grills!